Pre-Game Sharks v Manly [Round 21, 2023]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
GAME ON! Head over to the Game Thread!

V

26 30
PointsBet Stadium
23 Jul 2023 04:05 PM

Team Lists

So is there a game this weekend or is it still all about, the Fainu’s and the coaches selections / favourites , non selection of the Silvertails favourites ??

If someone can let me know and I’ll come back then.

I think the above topics have been discussed ad nauseum , and all I see is “ circle work “ ( around and around and around ).

Like a broken record?

Sharks have replaced their left edge in order to fix their terrible defence, but their main attribute has been attack and this change could disrupt their attack a bit. I hope!
Sharks are at home and heavily favoured so ... what a great time for Schu to step up!

Confused Gavin Free GIF by Rooster Teeth

With that Bench. Sipley and Bullemor omitted AND Woods playing. FMD. You really have to wonder what Siebold is thinking. Maybe he is too smart for his own good. Woods will make very few mistakes BUT has no x-factor at all.

Of the top eight teams right now, only Canberra strike me as being a less convincing footy team than the Sharks - and, weirdly enough, Canberra are somehow sitting in the top four. The Sharks are a bit like we were in 2021: they beat up on the also-rans but crumble against the quality teams.

Unfortunately, we fit into the first category (also-rans) and not the second, so the pattern is not in our favour. Is it possible we find something deep down inside and play well enough to snatch a win? Sure it is! Is it probable? No, it is not.

Of the top eight teams right now, only Canberra strike me as being a less convincing footy team than the Sharks - and, weirdly enough, Canberra are somehow sitting in the top four. The Sharks are a bit like we were in 2021: they beat up on the also-rans but crumble against the quality teams.

Unfortunately, we fit into the first category (also-rans) and not the second, so the pattern is not in our favour. Is it possible we find something deep down inside and play well enough to snatch a win? Sure it is! Is it probable? No, it is not.

Sharks play well against ordinary teams. Unfortunately we fit into the ordinary category. 😩

We have been very disappointing in recent games , I wonder could this spell a “ **** we’d better pull out fingers out” response ?

With that Bench. Sipley and Bullemor omitted AND Woods playing. FMD. You really have to wonder what Siebold is thinking. Maybe he is too smart for his own good. Woods will make very few mistakes BUT has no x-factor at all.
I’m no massive fan of Woods ( although I do tend to throw up alternative arguments when he’s mentioned ) but this isn’t the first time a Manly side has used a relatively mistake free / non X factor player and I’m wondering if the coaching staff haven’t decided that one of those is better than an X factor player who can make a heap of mistakes ( Keppie is that example and is being potentially kept out by Woods ).

A great example , Shane Rodney.

Came to us sort of towards the end of his career after a successful stint at the Panthers. Not flashy , not an X Factor , not an intimidating fierce prop BUT be sure played his part in the team effort.

Most on here see Woods as a liability but it’s clear to me the football staff see him in a different way.

So dunno , are we wrong or as everything thinks on here , they wrong.

We have been very disappointing in recent games , I wonder could this spell a “ **** we’d better pull out fingers out” response ?
I expect that response will come from the Sharks. Our response is more likely to be a collective shrug of the shoulders and a loud, "Meh." But again, would love to be proved wrong!

I’m no massive fan of Woods ( although I do tend to throw up alternative arguments when he’s mentioned ) but this isn’t the first time a Manly side has used a relatively mistake free / non X factor player and I’m wondering if the coaching staff haven’t decided that one of those is better than an X factor player who can make a heap of mistakes ( Keppie is that example and is being potentially kept out by Woods ).

A great example , Shane Rodney.

Came to us sort of towards the end of his career after a successful stint at the Panthers. Not flashy , not an X Factor , not an intimidating fierce prop BUT be sure played his part in the team effort.

Most on here see Woods as a liability but it’s clear to me the football staff see him in a different way.

So dunno , are we wrong or as everything thinks on here , they wrong.

PLayers like Shane Rodney and Ben Kennedy did come towards the end of their career
But before they came to us they were not playing reserve grade for their two previous clubs like Woods was with the Sharks and the Dragons

Further more Rodney and Kennedy offered more impact and value than
the slow pedestrian Woods that has been a liability in the modern fast game and this is why he struggled at his previous clubs and Nothing has changed at Manly

In conclusion
Woods was not a very good Manly choice
as The choices we all Make in life determine our success or failure
and our Football staffs choices (games plans , team selections etc ) have lead the way to where our season is heading

Last edited:
As for the game
We have a team of players with a blend of skill speed and experience capable of winning

The question is
Do we have the coach that can put it all together and Inspire a win ?

Every Picture tells a story ...
Make of it what you will
1689903722383.png

Notwithstanding that on paper we have a number of good attacking players out attacking structure in the red zone is average. We slide from side to side and are slow. Good sides are clinical in the red zone and convert more often than not. We do not.

Sharks have replaced their left edge in order to fix their terrible defence, but their main attribute has been attack and this change could disrupt their attack a bit. I hope!
Sharks are at home and heavily favoured so ... what a great time for Schu to step up!

Confused Gavin Free GIF by Rooster Teeth
Come on SER8, its the Shu and its Manly, so its "best foot forward" not step up. 😁

I’m interested in seeing how Lodge goes in this game.

Will he prove to be the mongrel in the pack we need?

I hope so, because it sounds like he’s going to be here for more than just the rest of this season.

I saw Jakob Arthur at the Narrabeen Sands a week after he signed with us.

He looks incredibly young in person & very slight in frame.

Obviously he’ll fill out as he gets older but looking at him I wondered how he handles playing first grade against men, because he surely is still a boy in physique.

I saw Jakob Arthur at the Narrabeen Sands a week after he signed with us.

He looks incredibly young in person & very slight in frame.

Obviously he’ll fill out as he gets older but looking at him I wondered how he handles playing first grade against men, because he surely is still a boy in physique.

Yep. Be lucky to be 80kgs

I’m interested in seeing how Lodge goes in this game.

Will he prove to be the mongrel in the pack we need?

I hope so, because it sounds like he’s going to be here for more than just the rest of this season.
How much time do you think he'll get? We have SIX props in our pack. It must be the slowest pack in our history.

Sharks haven't been so great this year....I mean neither have we but the point is, this game is there for the taking if we be able to pull it together.

Big if though

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 4 5 19 10