Signings for 2018

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
This may seem a thread to get pulverised by Optimistic Emoticons.....but I don't feel we need 6 - 8 new signings who are NRL (Fill Ins)....more 1-2 Quality signings who can lift the quality players we already have to that next level.
Unfortunately Ben Kennedy is not an option....but I think a Forward leader of that nature, with 1 other top shelf signing will be enough to make this team challenge for a title.
Keep in mind these players will a year older in 2018 and have galvanised into a stronger unit together....I am still convinced, though Green adds stability at 5/8...we need more than that.
Hastings could well be our man and is not such a guinea pig as Walker was in 2016....this bloke can organise, add energy across the park and has a top kicking game.
The reason I mention this- is Green is not our LONG term 5/8 and as it is known as the pivotal position for good reason - we need a young bloke their to grow with this young team.
I would take a punt on Hastings today - could be the long term answer - if not - gives time to recruit or find the answer amongst the Eagles nest.

bringbackbeaver

Reserve Grader
He is contracted for 2018 but without doubt we need a top quality 2nd rower. IMO that is Coen Hess. We should be prepared to pay 'overs' to be able to pry him away from Nth QLD. However, with JT's career coming to an end (which no doubt will be a rebuilding phase for Nth QLD) as well as Matt Scott's career coming to an end, perhaps we can convince him we will win a comp in the next 2-5 years.

Holmsey

Bencher
I honesty think we are better off waiting for next year to sign players. No one good for this year to sign, no good forwards so let's save our money. Unless we can get some releases 2018 will be only re signings. We have plenty of cash why waste on good players when we can get quality players and origin standard next year. Also re Hastings it would be really unfair on dce who is obviously benefiting from green why do we stop an effective partnership for a possible partnership? Silly idea in my opinion to wash down the drain a solid halves pairing that these 2 spent all off season on. It will ruin the whole side to take a punt on an arrogant 6 to a veteran who is playing good footy and has done for many years.

Manly_92

This may seem a thread to get pulverised by Optimistic Emoticons.....but I don't feel we need 6 - 8 new signings who are NRL (Fill Ins)....more 1-2 Quality signings who can lift the quality players we already have to that next level.
Unfortunately Ben Kennedy is not an option....but I think a Forward leader of that nature, with 1 other top shelf signing will be enough to make this team challenge for a title.
Keep in mind these players will a year older in 2018 and have galvanised into a stronger unit together....I am still convinced, though Green adds stability at 5/8...we need more than that.
Hastings could well be our man and is not such a guinea pig as Walker was in 2016....this bloke can organise, add energy across the park and has a top kicking game.
The reason I mention this- is Green is not our LONG term 5/8 and as it is known as the pivotal position for good reason - we need a young bloke their to grow with this young team.
I would take a punt on Hastings today - could be the long term answer - if not - gives time to recruit or find the answer amongst the Eagles nest.

Yeh mate i am with you for most of this, but i think we should give green the rest of this season to prove himself before we start calling for his replacement. It takes time for halves to build cohesion, and from what i have see this year he has already brought some much needed relief to dce in the way takes control of the structures and allows dce to play his natural game. If this combination can continue to develop and gel throughout the year i think we could have a lot to gain from green's services.

With that being said though i 100% agree with you in regards to only needing 1-2 quality signings as opposed to having a stab at everyone that comes on to the market. We are in dire need of an experienced edge back rower like a luke lewis or a gavin cooper (who are both off contract at the end of the year), our priority should be signing a second rower of that caliber.

Mitch

Bencher
It's interesting that there has been quite a bit of off field movement already this season (second rowers included De Belin, Moeroa re-signing etc), yet we haven't had any links to players at all. So either we are keeping any negotiations under wraps or we're not likely to see much in the way of recruitment.

bringbackbeaver

Reserve Grader
Pretty sure Coen Hess has already said that if the Cowboys continue to give him reasonable contracts - he'd always want to stay in Nth Qld.
I think he's a born and bred bloke who puts family before money etc.

But I agree, he is an absolute beast and would love him in the Maroon and White.

I believe we will sign Graham. The rumour continues to stick and now with the Dogs apparently making room for others, he's been named again.

I think he could definitely serve a purpose at the Eagles. Just have to secure him at the right price. $500/600k tops. Always ranks well in hitups and run metres. He has a fierce aggression that would help a lot of our younger lads coming through. Plus the fact of joining a new club could see him lift further.
Price is key here re Graham. I think everyone rates him as a player but throwing him a 3 year contract would not be wise. I think a 2 year contract is about as far as i'd go with him. You get the feeling that 2019 will be our year as we free up heaps of cash with Brown and Myles off the books. He does play long minutes which is a plus for him!

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Spines win you premierships - 1,6,7 and 9 is where it is at. You need quality there and then a good impact forward or two to add the punch for those guys to do their business. Centres and wingers are thick on the ground and whilst there are always standouts who are above average, you can mostly get good enough quality without paying silly money.

We have our 7 locked away for a long time and our 1 is quality and will only get better. Therefore we need a to be looking at 6 and 9. I'd be inclined to give Hastings a go at 9, as we can probably live with a "solid but not flashy" 6 like Green if we get some more creativity out of dummy half.

We do need a bit more impact in the forwards though. A tackle busting, offloading 80min weapon would be awesome. Hess might be one option, not sure who else is available that fits that bill. Pity we couldn't have got Lolo he's seems like the man these days.

Fluffy

Journey Man
Find a great hooker, the question is who?

Hastings/Cullen/Wright can cover 5/8 to a good enough level if the other 3 are top notch.

Bainbridge to join the 25 in the backrow next year

brad

First Grader
If we dish that s..t up again we might be looking for 6 or 8 new players lol. Joking and i dont think there is need to hit the panic button at all, although i agree its time to bring hastings into our side and im thinking starting side . To who's expense it is im not sure but he has to be in there somewhere. Added experience in big games , youth and will bust his backside to stay in the 13 also not a to shabby goal kicker .

manlyfan76

There is no A.I. Just better computers
I honesty think we are better off waiting for next year to sign players. No one good for this year to sign, no good forwards so let's save our money. Unless we can get some releases 2018 will be only re signings. We have plenty of cash why waste on good players when we can get quality players and origin standard next year. Also re Hastings it would be really unfair on dce who is obviously benefiting from green why do we stop an effective partnership for a possible partnership? Silly idea in my opinion to wash down the drain a solid halves pairing that these 2 spent all off season on. It will ruin the whole side to take a punt on an arrogant 6 to a veteran who is playing good footy and has done for many years.
1) how much is plenty of cash?
2) re: green. Why accept what is, why not pushed be better? Professional sport 101.

Simonmyers11

First Grader
If Bulldogs are making room for Woods we could get Graham on a good deal. Go after big Nelson from Storm. He could be anything! Hastings long term 5/8.Still think Siro will be good given time.

8 Lussick/Nelson Asofa Solomona
9 Api
10 Graham
11 Siro
12 Tapau
13 Jake

14 AFB
15 Lussick/Nelson Asofa Solomona
16 ?
17 ?

manlyfan76

There is no A.I. Just better computers
If Bulldogs are making room for Woods we could get Graham on a good deal. Go after big Nelson from Storm. He could be anything! Hastings long term 5/8.Still think Siro will be good given time.

8 Lussick/Nelson Asofa Solomona
9 Api
10 Graham
11 Siro
12 Tapau
13 Jake

14 AFB
15 Lussick/Nelson Asofa Solomona
16 ?
17 ?
I hope Siro gets better, he is still pretty young.

mjb136

MWSE fanatic
Premium Member

How do we know if we have plenty of cash? the Snake/Matai money is most likely already allocated. I highly doubt we have millions in spare cap money just waiting for some players to sign.

TagMonster

Reserve Grader
I'd like to see Hastings and Green in the 6 and 9. Don't really know which way I prefer it but I think Hastings offers more at both positions than is currently being dished up. That would mean you have to figure out which player you like more, Api or Green. I'd suggest Green is a more solid player. I wouldn't mind seeing him in the 9. Just not sure how his defense would fair. Either way, a spine of Tom, Cherry, Hastings & Green would be top notch.

As for signing, I'd suggest we need to resign our own at priority one. Then we need an impact second rower. Depending on if the club keeps players like Myles and BJ around, we might need another big prop. Whilst there isn't loads of big names floating around that are coming off contract there is always deals to be done and players that could be released early. The salary cap coming in under what people thought may work in our favor as clubs look to dump salaries.

How do we know if we have plenty of cash? the Snake/Matai money is most likely already allocated. I highly doubt we have millions in spare cap money just waiting for some players to sign.

i AGREE THAT SOME OF THAT MONEY (UNKNOWN) WILL BE ALLOCATED TO CAPS LOCK POSTERS. Sorry bout that.

Some of it will be used for upgrades - Jake/Tom especially + others that we probably are not aware of (hastings/sirro/Kelly perhaps).

Some will be free cap space. What that difference is (1.3 - upgrades= free cap spend) is a mystery to us mere sausage roll eating keyboard jockey never were mortals.

But you are correct in pointing out that it is highly unlikely we have 1.3 million free cap to spend.

Terry Zarsoff

First Grader
Who knows, we might bring Gutho home, with the Pharaoh's old mate signing up with Faecalmatta. They have already re-signed him until at least the end of next year. So he would come cheaply.

TagMonster

Reserve Grader
Who knows, we might bring Gutho home, with the Pharaoh's old mate signing up with Faecalmatta. They have already re-signed him until at least the end of next year. So he would come cheaply.

I guess the issue is where would you play him?

Our back three have been great thus far so that is unlikely at this stage. Kelly and Walker are also better options in the centres. That would mean one of the halves would go to make way. I cant see that happen when you already have the likes of Hastings and Cullen.

It would be great to bring him home, just not sure he would want to play NSW Cup.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
11 9 2 82 20
11 8 3 112 18
11 8 3 75 18
10 7 3 69 16
12 7 5 135 14
11 7 4 59 14
11 6 5 -9 14
11 6 5 -38 14
12 6 5 36 13