Slaters latest kick.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

How many weeks will Slater get?

• 0 weeks

Votes: 23 40.4%
  • 1 week

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • 2 weeks

Votes: 9 15.8%
  • 3 weeks plus

Votes: 17 29.8%

• Total voters
He should be suspended for 2 weeks for trying to turn rugby league into afl. If he wants to go around jumping in the air and trampling down on other players he should switch codes.

Maybe the next time we play Melbourne at Brookie the ground announcer could play the old 1974 favourite - "Everybody was Kung Fu fighting" every time Slater the kung fu kid handles the ball.

eagle-rock08 said:
Maybe the next time we play Melbourne at Brookie the ground announcer could play the old 1974 favourite - "Everybody was Kung Fu fighting" every time Slater the kung fu kid handles the ball.

That would be too funny, hope someone makes that happen

SeaEagle007 said:
As much as i think he is a grub, I honestly dont think he actually meant that one. It looked more like a reflex, and he never had his eye on the other player.

In saying that however, its just so convenient that a serial offender comes up with this type of play.

Anyway, in this instance ONLY , im willing to let that one go. I honestly don't think he meant that one, but that's my opinion.

I'm with SE007 on this one I hated the way he would "innocently kick at the ball near the face to save the try" but he was looking at the ball and the Doggie player wouldn't have been kicked if he wasn't trying to take him out in the air. If he had jumped too not as bad, if he had held back till Slater landed not so bad...

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
The Indian said:
The sneakiest dirty player in the game - its not blatant its sometimes subtle....always dropping knees, elbows, hips and feet into places they shouldnt go - but does it with a lot of cunning and has the media fooled into protecting him and giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Oh yes Billy - its the "25th time" you have "accidentally" injured someone in your career through no fault of your own...just so unlucky.....Please.

Could not agree more. He is the worse kind of grub. How many times can one player be so unlucky that "bad timing" and "unintentional" foul play follows him around on a weekly basis. He is a sly, cunning low life. There is no other player in the NRL that I have less respect for then Slater.

You can be certain that he knew the potential outcome of his outstretched foot last night, just as he is fully aware of the implications of his feet first and knee first sliding tackles under the guise of last ditch try saving attempts. It is no coincidence that his head and elbows also regularly come into contact with opposition players. Amazing how a supremely gifted and talented athlete (who in fact won Australia's Greatest Athlete two years running), is suddenly so clumsy, awkward and ungainly when involved in these type of incidents.

G.R.U.B.

Players like Steve Matai and even John Hopoate who get up and hit hard in defence never intentionally attack the head of the opposition but occasionally they get the timing wrong and when they do they get the book thrown at them and are torn apart by the media.

Intentional or not, you tell me what is worse in a game of rugby league, making contact with the head whilst attempting a tackle, or kicking someone in the face with your studs. This grub has done it so many times now yet continues to get a free pass. If Steve Matai's shoulder had made contact with as many heads as Billy's boot has he would have long gone the way of Les Boyd.

The gif on the first page of this thread clearly shows that he not only raises his leg but after catching the ball he looks towards the approaching defender and straightens his leg in a kick motion aimed straight at the guys face. The guy should be sitting in the stands for the next 12 weeks.

Billy has done some outright dirty things with his feet/legs/knees across his career.
As for last night's kick I can't condemn him for that because I've never been 2 metres in the air and have someone rush in to chop me down from the legs which could potenially break my back.

I did vote for 3 weeks plus though, based on him being cap cheating storm scum.

Anyone who says it was unintentional.and "there is nothing in it" "was an accident" etc... Is a fool.

He stuck his foot out. I understand raising a knee(to protect your ribs upon landing and also to prevent the ball spilling out the bottom).

There is no reason to stick your foot out at head height. He's a grub it's tge third time he's been put on report for using his feet. Whether its Billy Slater or a Manly player, it does not matter. Last night it was an intentional grubby reckless tactic to prevent himself getting hurt, potentially taking someones eye out in the process.

What the **** Is wrong with you people who are defending it?

Saying Slater's kick is fine is like saying its ok to turn around and punch someonei the head when you make a break in case he is going to trip you from behind.

Stevo said:
Oh and P.S It doesn't matter whether he was protecting himself, all full backs do it or it was simply accidental. It's contact with the head and that's all that matters.

So by this simplistic definition, the photo of Choc's studs on Costigan's forehead is what?

Have any of you who thought it was accidental and self-protective actually played the game? Actually needed to catch bombs?

You absolutely need to lift your knee(s) to protect yourself in taking a bomb. It is an instinctive reaction and should be encouraged. Self-protective is bringing the limbs in (defence) - not extending them out (attack).

There is zero similarity between what Billy Slater did and anything instinctive or purely self-protective. Slater's actions closely matched a martial arts move, as MadMarcus' photo shows.

Watch it again and ask yourself how the heck was he going to land? Self preservation is getting into a position where you are not going to land on your neck.

Rex said:
Have any of you who thought it was accidental and self-protective actually played the game? Actually needed to catch bombs?

You absolutely need to lift your knee(s) to protect yourself in taking a bomb. It is an instinctive reaction and should be encouraged. Self-protective is bringing the limbs in (defence) - not extending them out (attack).
Spot on. Although, i do believe he was protecting himself by keeping the player as far away as possible because he could still have got close with a knee. I'd give him 6 weeks for it. Dangerous grubby act.

So if its ok for Slater, Maybe next time Snake or Taufua makes a break and there's a defender chasing they can turn around and kick his teeth out in case they're going to trip them?

manlyfan76 said:
Watch it again and ask yourself how the heck was he going to land? Self preservation is getting into a position where you are not going to land on your neck.
If he's to land awkwardly, then a wild karate kick ain't gonna help that. Instinctively we curl into a ball when endangered - and for good reason.

Perfectly leagle tactic in football when you climb high to take a mark you are allowed to trample all over opposition players.

Wait a minute thas in AFL.

Rex said:
manlyfan76 said:
If he's to land awkwardly, then a wild karate kick ain't gonna help that. Instinctively we curl into a ball when endangered - and for good reason.

So when you've leapt 5' in the air with no arms to help you ( because they're holding the ball ) and you know you're going to come back down to earth you curl up in a ball?
Yeah, right.
With two limbs out of action and one to land on that only leaves one to try to gain some sort of balance/stability.
Try it, run flat stick and leap as high as you can. Do this 10 times and see how your body reacts even if you're slightly off balance as each time will be slightly different, it automatically throws out whatever limbs it can to counteract that.

I think it sets a fairly dangerous precedent. Fair enough a guy jumping in the air catching a ball is vulnerable to getting hammered (and hurt), BUT..... There is a rule in place to protect him. Lashing out with a boot in "preventative self defense" as Slater has deemed to have done (and been exonerated for!!) is NOT the done thing on the Rugby League field.

IF (thank god it didn't!! - perhaps Slater's skills in the flying high kick prevented this!!) that boot went a couple of inches higher, how much damage to Kemmel's face could have been done?

Shoulder charges have been banned due to the potential for serious damage being done: and the difference between a "great shot" and a potentially dangerous contact to the head was a fairly grey area: the use of you're feet against a player in ANY way has never been condoned and a specific rule was put in place due to the actions of BILLY SLATER and his propensity to slide in studs up or knees first to prevent a try.

I DO NOT believe Slater is intentionally attempting to hurt someone, I think he's a great competitor trying ANYTHING to save a try (great attitude IMHO) but his methodology needed to be adjusted and the rule regarding use of feet etc was the result.

Friday night's example was more accidental than on purpose... but that should not stop the judiciary (who will take as dim a view of "accidental" shoulder charges as they will of "deliberate") from penalizing the player involved, simply because at the root of the issue and taking away the "might have got tackled in the air" excuse, he used his foot and boot purposely and made contact with the throat of another player (with some force too!).

And THAT, is just not_frikken_DONE in any form of Rugby League. Full Stop.

By letting him off, the judiciary appear weak.

My 1.5c

StuBoot said:
Rex said:
manlyfan76 said:

So when you've leapt 5' in the air with no arms to help you ( because they're holding the ball ) and you know you're going to come back down to earth you curl up in a ball?
Yeah, right.
With two limbs out of action and one to land on that only leaves one to try to gain some sort of balance/stability.
Try it, run flat stick and leap as high as you can. Do this 10 times and see how your body reacts even if you're slightly off balance as each time will be slightly different, it automatically throws out whatever limbs it can to counteract that.

I can't agree with this. I'm by no means a supremely gifted athlete, but I consider myself to have a reasonable level of coordination. If I run and jump as high as I can I can quite easily come down and land again on both feet without even looking like over balancing. Can even do it while catching a ball. Slater plays fullback at the highest level and has probably caught 1000's of bombs, yet you'll have us believe that on an uncontested bomb the other night he over balanced in mid air so that he had to stick his leg out horizontally to correct it ?? I think he had one purpose in mind .

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6