Smith defenders

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
It doesn't matter if Smith thinks he's right or wrong he should just contact Alex and tell him he's genuinely sorry for his actions then ask if there's anything he can ever do....it's not about Smith's ego at the moment, just let Alex be angry and grieve.

How was Smith to know at the time? He is no doctor, did you see him go over to the doctor and clarify anything? Sure he could of been a little more circumspect and found out more, but in the heat of the battle this would of happened countless times. The only difference is that a much worse outcome eventuated with Alex. I beleive that Smith did clap him off when he was stretchered.

What I will say is extremeley disappointing is the fact Smith didnt contact Alex after the game. He will need to deal with that decision.
Smith is an ornament to the game off the field and will go down as the greatest hooker of all time. Time for you all to get over trying to degrade this outstanding individual.

I really don't think you needed to be a doctor to tell that one was a far worse outcome than 'normal' - I remember watching it on TV and we were saying "wow, this is bad" just from the footage...when the guy doesn't move at all and is, as others have pointed out, screaming that he can't breathe and can't feel his legs, you don't need a doctor to point out it's horribly, horribly serious. Plenty of times when a player is KO'd and doesn't move, watch the concern from his teammates and opposition players alike, as in trying to keep him still, get his mouthguard out etc. There was one in last Friday night's game, when I think it was Tyrell was knocked out in a head clash while trying to tackle Nigel Plum, Plum made no attempt to move or get up and play the ball, he straight away had his arm in the air and was yelling to the ref that the Souths player needed help...

My personal experience is - I've umpired and competed at international level in martial arts, and there are certain dead giveaways that someone is in real trouble. Have seen one in a junior worlds semi-final where a kid was out before he hit the floor, everyone in the stadium went dead silent because it was obvious just from the way he fell and laid totally still that he was in big trouble. And that was before he started convulsing on the floor. Anyone who's participated in or been involved with a contact sport for long enough would have a fair idea when they need to just shut up and let the medics get on with their job, there are more important things than the game or the fight to be dealt with.

And the fact that part of his argument with the ref was "...look, I don't ever want to see this happen to someone on a footy field, but..." is proof positive Smith knew exactly how serious it was.

What I will say is extremeley disappointing is the fact Smith didnt contact Alex after the game. He will need to deal with that decision.
Smith is an ornament to the game off the field and will go down as the greatest hooker of all time. Time for you all to get over trying to degrade this outstanding individual.
First 2 sentences - very much so. The rest of it is unbelievable. 'Ornament', 'greatest hooker', 'outstanding individual' - you must be joking! I'll never get over him being an 'outstanding' grub, and Australian captain at that.

Anyone who's participated in or been involved with a contact sport for long enough would have a fair idea when they need to just shut up and let the medics get on with their job
I thought he did, he only spoke to the refs after McKinnon was eventually carried off? Seemed like that anyhow according to that clip 'context for Smith' in one of the other threads, not sure if you saw that one.

This is how it was reported at the time
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-03-24/mckinnon-injury-sours-storm-victory/5342402

This is more to the point. The NRL has been weak and inconsistent in stamping out lifting tackles. Josh Jackson? If McKinnon wants to focus his anger on Smith that is his prerogative but Smith wasn't even in the tackle that hurt him.

The match officials didn't see fit to abandon the game in acknowledgement of the catastrophic spinal injury to a player. (Too much at stake with the TV contract?) The match officials deemed it was play on as usual. Smith too behaved as though it was play-on as usual, arguing the point in defence of his own player.

Obviously Smith should have said nothing. Or even better, shed a tear or two, or maybe gathered all the players to link arms and bow heads in a quiet prayer. (Before resuming the game and trying to bash the crap out of the opposition).

I make no criticism of McKinnon, as I say he can feel pissed at whomever he pleases, but it is amusing to see all those others rushing to join in pointing the finger at Smith as a villain in this incident. Among all his sins, and all the sins of everyone in the game, Smith is to be pilloried because in a situation rarely encountered he didn't show concern in the correct way??

I confess I'm on the Camus team on this one. Absurd.
I don't agree with your view about Smith on this one, but I always appreciate the well thought out posts you contribute.

Last edited:
I thought he did, he only spoke to the refs after McKinnon was eventually carried off? Seemed like that anyhow according to that clip 'context for Smith' in one of the other threads, not sure if you saw that one.

This is how it was reported at the time
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-03-24/mckinnon-injury-sours-storm-victory/5342402

Yes, I have seen that one - and that's what I mean, by the stage that he was arguing with the referee and trying to blame McKinnon for his own injury, he was well and truly aware of how serious it was - he had watched the guy getting medical attention on the ground for ten minutes, and had heard him saying he couldn't breathe and couldn't feel his legs. It was incredibly poor sportsmanship to carry on the way he did - that's what Alex McKinnon was expressing anger about in the 60 Minutes interview. Bottom line, no matter how many replays Smith might have seen on the big screen during the delay, not one single one of those replays omitted the illegal lifting in the tackle that justified the penalty, and without which, there is no quadriplegia for McKinnon, whether he ducks his head or not.

I don't agree with your view about Smith on this one, but I always appreciate the well thought out posts you contribute.
Thank you VFTH, as for my view of Smith's action, I too was taken aback at the time, but I don't agree that what he said means he doesn't or didn't care about the injured player. Luckily holding a minority viewpoint has never bothered me :)

How was Smith to know at the time? He is no doctor, did you see him go over to the doctor and clarify anything? Sure he could of been a little more circumspect and found out more, but in the heat of the battle this would of happened countless times. The only difference is that a much worse outcome eventuated with Alex. I beleive that Smith did clap him off when he was stretchered.

I watched the game & I knew instantly - I posted on here during the game that it was sickening & he was in big trouble. Bull**** he didn't know it was bad...

No apology necessary.

What this thread shows is people using a tragic situation to fuel the already tribal hatred towards a player to even greater heights bordering on to the point of a pack entertainment mentality, that in itself is pathetic.

Isn't that exactly what following a sports club is about?
It's tribal. It's a place where it's socially acceptable to be digraceful. It's an environment where all the natural human negativites and prejudices can be vented in a manner that doesn't affect real life.

No apology necessary.

What this thread shows is people using a tragic situation to fuel the already tribal hatred towards a player to even greater heights bordering on to the point of a pack entertainment mentality, that in itself is pathetic.
The problem with this opinion & that of others like it is that it automatically assumes that being a good footballer also makes you a decent human being. That is not the case in this instance.

The problem with this opinion & that of others like it is that it automatically assumes that being a good footballer also makes you a decent human being. That is not the case in this instance.

It also only took 18 months after the accident and some sensationalist journalism for us all to feel this way..

Smith was a grub long before this incident and always will be. Any player knowingly signing 2 contracts is complicite in cheating the salary cap. Add that to his resume of grubby cheating wrestling tactics which he and Bellamy produced and you see his true character. Win at all costs including cheating and to hell with the consequences

The only thing the sensationalist journalism achieved is that i actually felt sorry for Smith for once, then i just found it funny.
The man is a disgrace to the game on every front. What is yor agenda rifraff? Why are you a Smith fan? The sooner this turd gets brought down, the better.

. Add that to his resume of grubby cheating wrestling tactics which he and Bellamy produced and you see his true character.
One of my points in a heated exchange with some maroon/smith supporters...there reply....they should be congratulated on their innovation to the game!!...I kid you not. @:(

Smith fan? Don't know where you got that from. I stuck up for him because I believe what was said was wrong. Doesn't make me a fan and you would have to be a fool to think that..

Are you a fool?

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7