Snake wants 2.4 mil from Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Mybludog said:
they'll never play at different clubs

If it's true that they will never play at different clubs then we would be silly to release Glenn. Make Glenn see out the remainder of his contract and we would then get another two years out of Brett. Then, at the end of 2014 they can both go where they want.

If its true it sounds like a deal you would ask for so they say no so you can go. Than he can say he wanted to stay but the club didn't want him. Sad.

I don't blame Brett the kid has got to get as much as he can get. I don't think English big payday is going to be there for him after his nrl career cos of his knees and the fact he was wrongfully charged. English imaginations are very tough they won't care his case was thrown out.
I doubt there's a media career for him because he barely talks to those bastards for obvious reasons.

So this contract has to set him up for life.

Earnie the Eagle said:
StuBoot said:
Weidler said it so I'll take it with a grain of salt but seeing as it's up for discussion I'll put in my two cents worth.
If the "TV deal" goes though then 600K a season will be the norm so probs there.
He's 27 with effectively two years off in that time, look at Mini he's still firing after all his problems so draw a line through that.
Experienced fullbacks are gold.

You make a good point Stu, there are not a lot of great experienced fullbacks around, who would Manly get to replace him?

I think that there is a glut of young fullbacks available. Just off the top of my head: Kyle Stanley, and Gutherson is gonna be good!

Another problem is if he stays the others players will know what he's getting therefore destabilizing the team (potentially)

Killer, Watmough, king, DCE, Foran and Glen. could all consider themselves candidates for massive deals.

Glen Stewart is the best rugby league forward in the world right now. Maybe we'll keep Snake as the 'free gift'.

Moops said:
Earnie the Eagle said:
StuBoot said:
Weidler said it so I'll take it with a grain of salt but seeing as it's up for discussion I'll put in my two cents worth.
If the "TV deal" goes though then 600K a season will be the norm so probs there.
He's 27 with effectively two years off in that time, look at Mini he's still firing after all his problems so draw a line through that.

You make a good point Stu, there are not a lot of great experienced fullbacks around, who would Manly get to replace him?

I think that there is a glut of young fullbacks available. Just off the top of my head: Kyle Stanley, and Gutherson is gonna be good!

I said there are not a lot of GREAT fullbacks around, nothing about young or other fullbacks.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Glen Stewart is the best rugby league forward in the world right now. Maybe we'll keep Snake as the 'free gift'.

This. If Blair is worth 600k and Money Bill a reported 750 then Glen is worth 600 and plenty more. Best forward in the game / great second 5/8 aswell.

Bones, Glenns deal finishes at the end of 2013 and i don't think Brett would sign a 1 year deal just so they can line up.

As Cam said he's going to need as much as he can to set him up because i don't think he'll get a deal from the UK either.

Don't be surprised that if they really want out, they ask for overs from us and then sign with the Dogs for a bit less.

In saying all this, I luv both of them and will probably shed a 'man tear' or 2 if they leave but from what i've heard i've just got this uneasy feeling that there both gone.

umm he is on about $450k now, with the new TV deal i think an extra $150k a year would be worth it. If he goes on the open market he will command a massive salary.

There arent many better fullbacks in the game

Mybludog said:
Bones, Glenns deal finishes at the end of 2013 and i don't think Brett would sign a 1 year deal just so they can line up.

As Cam said he's going to need as much as he can to set him up because i don't think he'll get a deal from the UK either.

Don't be surprised that if they really want out, they ask for overs from us and then sign with the Dogs for a bit less.

In saying all this, I luv both of them and will probably shed a 'man tear' or 2 if they leave but from what i've heard i've just got this uneasy feeling that there both gone.

Brett and Glenn Stewart must fulfill contracts with the Sea Eagles
Written by Josh Massoud - Daily Telegraph   
Saturday, 26 November 2011 08:17
MANLY have made further moves to ensure the Stewart brothers aren't snatched from their Brookvale nest before time, approaching NRL salary cap auditor Ian Schubert for advice about possible "get-out clauses" in their contracts.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal Schubert told the Sea Eagles both siblings are legally bound to the club until the completion of their contracts, with Brett's deal up at the end of 2012 and Glenn's expiring two years later.

Brett Stewart did have a get-out clause in the event of former coach Des Hasler leaving, but it needed to be activated 12 months in advance of his departure. Hasler was dismissed from Manly earlier this month - just days after Stewart's 31 October get-out deadline passed.

It had also been speculated that a complex contractual clause could enable Glenn Stewart to negotiate elsewhere at the end of next season and it's understood Manly officials were especially keen for Schubert's advice on this matter.

They faxed the clause to him last week and received advice that a rival contract would not be registered until Stewart's deal was done at Manly.

MBD thanks for the heads-up. It give us the chance to practice holding back those man tears. But even though I know that if any fan has inside info it is you, things can change ... and both those guys are in line to be club all-time greats, so I still hope we can make competitive offers and keep them here. Unfortunately our club has a track record of letting champs go a year or so before their use-by date. (Might be why we have a record of unparalleled success.)

Mybludog said:

I think you are spot on with them wanting out. I would hate to see that happen for anything, other than a bucket load of money.

Manly is what gave them both the start. Manly has stuck by them and Manly made them who they are.

If they left for less money to follow Des i would be devastated.

Like bluedog has stated, i feel there is a bit of a game being played also. Its very bold, and weird for a contract neg to be carried on in this manner.I just hope we dont jump through hoops

He is a great player and worth the coin.But if Manly dont have it , its game over. If he has a motive its game over

I dont know why but i feel both parties probably just need to move on, for the betterment of all concerned.

great players, good blokes , but they probably need a fresh start.

Moops said:
Earnie the Eagle said:
StuBoot said:

There will always be young fullbacks around but not many turn out to be great. Currently in the NRL in my opinion there are only four fullbacks that that would command that sort of dosh. Two are great - Snake & Slater, one is very good - Boyd and one is getting there - Dugan. As the old saying goes "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush". Kevin Locke looks like he'll get there but we saw on the weekend that his errors ( & Manu's ) compared to Snakes was no contest. It's the errors they don't make that is the difference.

Seems only five minutes ago Snake was a speed blessed kid scoring three tries off Andrew Walker in that drawn game at Brookie.

Best fullback at Manly since Graham Eadie and I hope he stays with the club to be remembered the way Wombat is.

I'm pretty sure that the 10 years are up for both Brett and Glenn which should mean a $100,000 reduction off the salary cap.

Does anyone know if this still stands? It was in a few years ago. I'm not sure if this is the correct amount. I would hope $500,000 for both a year would be enough to make them stay and it would only mean registering $400,000 a year for the cap.

It's no coincidence that we are successful with Brett at the back. I would be desperate to keep him and Glenn but DCE is the 1st pick.

As said before, Brett needs (and deserves) a big payday with what he has been through the last 2 years. While a lot of players get plenty out of endorsements and sponsorship, i'm pretty sure all this dried up the last 2 years.....due to no fault of his own.

I really hope they both stay as they will be legends of Manly at the end of their careers.

Snake....just think of Graham Eadie, your hero (and mine). He could've left for more but never wanted to leave. He's a one club man and legend. Be like him!

Cambo said:
I don't blame Brett the kid has got to get as much as he can get. I don't think English big payday is going to be there for him after his nrl career cos of his knees and the fact he was wrongfully charged. English imaginations are very tough they won't care his case was thrown out.
I doubt there's a media career for him because he barely talks to those bastards for obvious reasons.

So this contract has to set him up for life.

I think you're off the mark about the UK. They'll take him in a heart beat. Joel Monaghan, Brett Seymour not to mention misbehaving soccer players. If they think he'd seriously go the offers would come by the bucketload.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6