Snake wants 2.4 mil from Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Fact- Weedler biggest grub in the media (beats a crack field for that award), who gives a **** what he says.

Fact 2- Snakes a legend and we don't win the comp last year without him. If cap is increased would sign him ASAP.

If that means we lose Lussick and a couple of our older forwards so be it. Players like Snake Gift and our halves win you comps and must be kept.

Mybludog said:
Bones, Glenns deal finishes at the end of 2013 and i don't think Brett would sign a 1 year deal just so they can line up.

As Cam said he's going to need as much as he can to set him up because i don't think he'll get a deal from the UK either.

Don't be surprised that if they really want out, they ask for overs from us and then sign with the Dogs for a bit less.

In saying all this, I luv both of them and will probably shed a 'man tear' or 2 if they leave but from what i've heard i've just got this uneasy feeling that there both gone.

Russ, I shed a tear when Fulton left, also when Shearer left, Manly will do their best to keep him, but sometimes they just have to go.
The only big name player we have bought in the last five years is Lyon, our forwards are ageing and we are letting the young ones go to other clubs, eg Hargreaves, Tasi, and the possiblilty of Lussick going.

I'd be surprised if this wasn't another attempted destabilization plot by the Sydney press, and we've seen many over the years. I'll go with the club and Toovs on this one. I love all our players and am always saddened when they leave, but that's life. Another player rises up to carry the banner, and to get excited about. However I'd love both of them to stay and hope that the club does its best to satisfy their wants.

Weirdler scoop, and the forums jumping again .

So Snake just gave him a call and filled in the blanks .

If,and that's a real big if it does take 600K a year to keep him at Brookie then so be it , he is worth every cent IMO .

He is a club legend looked up to by many, many people , he still has good years ahead of him , and was last years top try scorer for the club again . He will be Manly's leading ever try scorer by the time he retires , and will be remembered as Manly's best ever fullback . (Yes, better than Wombat and Ridgey).

Teams that win GF's always have positions 1,6,7,9 and 13 covered with the best players .

i would be shattered if he left and weedler is a goose but if true we all know time and time again that NO player is bigger then this club its happened over and over we know that ,its not fair but its true.

i know there was 300k difference between manly and parra for hoppa and we let him go .

I Just cant see Brett in any other NRL colours but these dogs rumours just wont go away.

wizball1973 said:
Why would Brett disclose this to any journo? He wouldn't. It's a load of s**t.
Exactly what I thought when I saw who reported it. As if Brett would think.... "Gee, contract negotiations are starting, better ring up my old mate Danny Weidler with the news, he's a straight up kind of bloke and unlikely to print any bull****"....yeah right...

It will come down to the coach and the physio. If they both believe Brett's best footy is still to come, (which Toovey has already been quoted) then sign him up asap. $600K year for the best fullback in the NRL is worth it IMO.

Cambo said:
Would you be aware if many of the players we have contracted beyond 2011 have clauses in their contracts allowing for % pay rises for wat ever % the cap is increase. I maybe wrong but I understand that's common practice.

I agree Cambo. I am certain that contracts have been, & are being, negotiated this way.

Make no mistake - Brett Stewart has been Manlys most influential player over the past 5 seasons.
If Manly cant afford that money no doubt others will. He may have lost a bit of speed but he still pulls off ridiculous trysaving tackles, sets up & scores many tries(some matchwinners) & the 1 major influence noone credits him for from the back is his communication -often steering the side around the park, giving so much confidence to the front 12 at all times.
While Brett Stewart is on the field for Manly even at 80% we are a great chance of winning ANY game.
Marquee players mean marquee dollars- show Snake the money!!

With the cap going up 600k will be a normal salary for a player of snakes ability. His organizing in defense along is worth it.

Important to note that players don't talk to the media on this issues - player managers do. They excel at grubbily trying to manipulate the media to up the asking price for their players. Doubtful that Brett has said a word and that this is just the first move in a game of chess over the year.

Sign him up. We keep Snake then it means we keep Gift. The cap will go up, the new tv deal will be huge and we cannot afford to lose these 2 legends. Snake plays we are a chance to win any game and always a top 4 team. When Snake is not playing we are back to the middle of the table. SIGN HIM NOW !!!!!!!!

Ive come to realise that anything can happen in this day and age, players can do whatever they want. Im living the ride with the boys this year, what happens happens, if Brett leaves then so be it, weve got the team we need to win the comp, tooves will concentrate on what needs to be done, its now up to the administration men to show us fans how proffesional they can be !

Earnie the Eagle said:
StuBoot said:
Weidler said it so I'll take it with a grain of salt but seeing as it's up for discussion I'll put in my two cents worth.
If the "TV deal" goes though then 600K a season will be the norm so probs there.
He's 27 with effectively two years off in that time, look at Mini he's still firing after all his problems so draw a line through that.
Experienced fullbacks are gold.

You make a good point Stu, there are not a lot of great experienced fullbacks around, who would Manly get to replace him?

Michael Gordon is off contract this year. He'd command half of what Brett commands, and he's a goal kicker to replace Lyon when he leaves.

Pay him 600k in a pro rata form, where he is . paid by the no of games he plays in that season.

if he is injured, the club covers costs.

if suspended gets nothing for the games missed.

mickqld said:
Sign him up. We keep Snake then it means we keep Gift. The cap will go up, the new tv deal will be huge and we cannot afford to lose these 2 legends. Snake plays we are a chance to win any game and always a top 4 team. When Snake is not playing we are back to the middle of the table. SIGN HIM NOW !!!!!!!!

Disagree. I like Snake but we can't afford him at that price. We're better off looking to sign others up instead: Foran, DCE, Lussick and Ballin, just to name a few. As I said above, we could get Michael Gordon for half the price. In addition, we have Jamie Buhrer as a good replacement for Glenn if that becomes the case.

Losing the Stewart Brothers would not be the end of the world. Losing our halves and our hooker could be disastrous. Would you be happy to lose either DCE or Foran just to keep the Stewart Brothers? One is heavily injury prone and the other is constantly penalised and suspended. As I said before, I like them but 600,000 per year for 4 years is too much for a player that was out for half of his last contract.

Jono said:
mickqld said:

Disagree. I like Snake but we can't afford him at that price. We're better off looking to sign others up instead: Foran, DCE, Lussick and Ballin, just to name a few. As I said above, we could get Michael Gordon for half the price. In addition, we have Jamie Buhrer as a good replacement for Glenn if that becomes the case.

Losing the Stewart Brothers would not be the end of the world. Losing our halves and our hooker could be disastrous. Would you be happy to lose either DCE or Foran just to keep the Stewart Brothers? One is heavily injury prone and the other is constantly penalised and suspended. As I said before, I like them but 600,000 per year for 4 years is too much for a player that was out for half of his last contract.

Jono u are dead to me now :(

I agree with Jono. As much as the Stewarts are legends of the club they are on the decline and also carry baggage. Let them stay on realistic money but don't pay overs for them.

Matabele said:
I agree with Jono. As much as the Stewarts are legends of the club they are on the decline and also carry baggage. Let them stay on realistic money but don't pay overs for them.
Matas u too are dead to me ;)

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
  • Dan
    Kim Jong Dan
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9