South Sydney CEO calls for suburban footy to be axed

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Suburban grounds are good enough for the English Premier League - think of clubs like Fulham, QPR, Stoke etc. Can't see why they aren't good enough for the NRL.
I understand the reason for finals football being taken to the larger stadiums but regular round fixtures should be at the discretion of the individual clubs.

One of the major reasons we are The Premiers is Brookvale Oval!
We were undeafeated there last year and opposition teams just hate playing us there.

A 'true' home ground advantage.

Success = $$$

The larger stadiums have no soul. The Souffs club also has no soul, so for them it may be a good match.

The day we cease having Brookie as our home ground will be the day we cease to be the "Manly Warringah" Sea Eagles.

Funny how souths are happy to take trial matches back to Redfern (when they are not incentivised by homebush etc)

For the life of me I cant see how Manly fans think a move to the SFS or Homebush or wherever would be anything but a disaster for us. It may work for some other clubs ( perhaps ) who are already nearer the CBD and or have rail access but no club would be hit harder because no clubs fans would have more trouble getting to the ground.

We should be rock solid behind improving Brookvale its our only hope. Not flocking like sheep to cavernous stadiums like everyone else with dreams of having them 1/3 full if were lucky.

manlyfan. said:
Would be fine if the state/federal governments built a world class stadium at Terry Hills or st ives show ground to give the people of the north shore some value for their tax dollars, instead of throwing it all into the western suburbs.

Moving away from the smaller grounds would be fine if the NRL were an NFL or Spanish soccer comp.But it AINT!!

The NRL is a SYDNEY based NSW Rugby League comp with minute membership numbers,tiny operations budgets,small fan attendances,minimal sponsorship and has bugger all international interest.

Please,please ,please knowledge that the NRL is what it is and stop trying to make out it is a huge thing.
It really dosnt rate against the worlds other major sports in any of the above points.
As much as I love the game.

Couldn't agree more Rambo. It's the same attitude that the Soccer Aust big-heads have about their game here. Totally over the top. Richardson is as delusional as Searle in his grandiose schemes. Just realize that the NRL is a tribally based game, watchable both live at suburban grounds, and on TV and grow from there.

DSM5 said:
Couldn't agree more Rambo. It's the same attitude that the Soccer Aust big-heads have about their game here. Totally over the top. Richardson is as delusional as Searle in his grandiose schemes. Just realize that the NRL is a tribally based game, watchable both live at suburban grounds, and on TV and grow from there.
What I would like to see is the development of grounds like Brookie into a world class,if somewhat small capacity,ground for FANS and players.
How hard can it be?
20k crowds with great amenities and a transport system to give the fans some hope of hassle free travel to and from the game.Throw in three grades per fixture and you have a winner with full crowds 9 times out of 10.

Make the pies hot and the beer cold,and they will come.

Rambofan said:
manlyfan. said:
Would be fine if the state/federal governments built a world class stadium at Terry Hills or st ives show ground to give the people of the north shore some value for their tax dollars, instead of throwing it all into the western suburbs.

Moving away from the smaller grounds would be fine if the NRL were an NFL or Spanish soccer comp.But it AINT!!

The NRL is a SYDNEY based NSW Rugby League comp with minute membership numbers,tiny operations budgets,small fan attendances,minimal sponsorship and has bugger all international interest.

Please,please ,please knowledge that the NRL is what it is and stop trying to make out it is a huge thing.
It really dosnt rate against the worlds other major sports in any of the above points.

Hey stupid if the NRL is a nsw based comp then why do we have qid, nz and vic teams playing?

Trust you to know all about the spanish soccer competition. A bunch of girls falling down crying and wetting their pants trying to get a penalty pretending that they were tripped.

Stick to the spanish soccer forum and piss off from a rugby league forum goose.

kingyfan said:
Rambofan said:
manlyfan. said:

Hey stupid if the NRL is a nsw based comp then why do we have qid, nz and vic teams playing?

Trust you to know all about the spanish soccer competition. A bunch of girls falling down crying and wetting their pants trying to get a penalty pretending that they were tripped.

Stick to the spanish soccer forum and piss off from a rugby league forum goose.
See,cockwad,its idiots like you who attempt to read a post,have a mental retard response from your brain and flail about on the floor like a two year old having a nasty hissy fit because mummy wont throw you on the tit anymore.

You are a tool of the highest order.The NRL is nothing more than a glorified NSW comp with the token Mexican and NZ teams thrown in for good measure.

How about YOU get all spanish and rim me.
Ci?

Kingyfan you seem to have missed the point of Rambo's post. The fact is the NRL isn't in the same league that European soccer is, and never will be. The simple fact of population is telling. That's the point he was making. Cut your cloth to suit. Suburban grounds should be compact, 20 thousand max stadiums, which serve the fans, toilets, meals etc. If that was the case with Brookie, and we could fill it every game, then all would be good. Stay away from stupid stadiums which the NRL can never fill, outside a few matches, concentrate in making the fans comfortable, and the game will prosper.

DSM5 said:
Kingyfan you seem to have missed the point of Rambo's post. The fact is the NRL isn't in the same league that European soccer is, and never will be. The simple fact of population is telling. That's the point he was making. Cut your cloth to suit. Suburban grounds should be compact, 20 thousand max stadiums, which serve the fans, toilets, meals etc. If that was the case with Brookie, and we could fill it every game, then all would be good. Stay away from stupid stadiums which the NRL can never fill, outside a few matches, concentrate in making the fans comfortable, and the game will prosper.

Yes,Kingyfan has missed the point.Kingyfan misses a lot of points.Thats why the players ignore and avoid Kingyfan.

Valid and correct points DSM5.You are now Kingyfans internet friend and hero.
And mine.

Rambofan I understood what you meant.
But I hate the usage of that RL is only played in three countries thing.
The actual on some type of level is closer to 50ish
Would love to see the sport governed internationally by someone that hasn't got there own comp at heart. Which is the case at the moment with the big 3.
Only then could you see the sport truly prosper internationally.

eagles2win said:
Rambofan I understood what you meant.
But I hate the usage of that RL is only played in three countries thing.
The actual on some type of level is closer to 50ish
Would love to see the sport governed internationally by someone that hasn't got there own comp at heart. Which is the case at the moment with the big 3.
Only then could you see the sport truly prosper internationally.
Mate, the subject line was on smaller home grounds as apposed to playing games at bohemouth grounds like Homebush or the SFS(Allianz).

The point was that the clubs,even when they lose gate takings must at least ATTEMPT to understand that,from a fans point of view,gate takings are not everything.

Cheers mate.

I didn't think this required a new article to be submitted...but wanted to pass it on.

The Sports Minister, Graham Annesley, formerly the NRL chief operating officer, weighed into the stadium debate yesterday, saying he ''absolutely'' saw a future for Sydney's suburban grounds.
Annesley has commissioned a report into how money should be spent on grounds such as Leichhardt and Brookvale in the future and how to deal with regular requests from clubs for upgrade funding.
''I want to get away from the notion that you have to be in a marginal seat or you have to be in a seat held by a particular political party to get money,'' Annesley told Sky Sports Radio.
''It should be based on valid reasons and priorities. In the past that hasn't always been the case.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/stadium-plan-includes-suburbs-derbies-20120405-1wfes.html#ixzz1rClpID5j

They used to call it the 'Match of the Day' and they played it (as the Sunday televised game) at the SCG - from 1965-1974.

'The more things change, the more they stay the same.'

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4