Stewart offered $3.5 million to quit league

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
As great as Snake is and he is priceless to this club I couldn't see any other NRL clubs forking out more than 500k a season for him. The Rugby union thing was a smoke screen. I sincerely hope he does play another 4 seasons for us and goes out with a couple more premierships same way as Beaver went out scoring a GF try in his last game for Manly in 4 yrs would be awesome.

Townsville Eagle said:
bob dylan said:
winnyason said:
Seems Brett new deal is fairly low 430k a season,

Low????

Ditto.

I would have to work 6 years for that. I think some footballers are well overpaid when compared to the average hard working person.

If put into perspective a footballer only has 10 to 13 years longevity in the game, those first 2 or 3 years may not reap the rewards. i.e. DCE was being paid pittance when he started and got a deserved contract upgrade only this year.

I know some of the amounts being paid is ludicrous but again when placed in perspective they put there bodies on the line week in week out so for what they do and what they can earn in such a small time I say good luck to them. I wish I was 30 years younger and could have a crack at the NRL also

OneEyedEagle said:
If put into perspective a footballer only has 10 to 13 years longevity in the game, those first 2 or 3 years may not reap the rewards. i.e. DCE was being paid pittance when he started and got a deserved contract upgrade only this year.

I know some of the amounts being paid is ludicrous but again when placed in perspective they put there bodies on the line week in week out so for what they do and what they can earn in such a small time I say good luck to them. I wish I was 30 years younger and could have a crack at the NRL also

Sorry mate, but this line of justification doesn't stack up. What are they going to do for the rest of their working life, get a job like the rest of us! God forbid. If they do well out of their period in the game that's a bonus for them but there shouldn't be some kind of entitlement attached. There's plenty of people that work long physical hours every day.

I'm not saying I'm down on them if they do well out of the game but who ever decided that they have to earn their life's worth of income in that 10-13 yr window?

Townsville Eagle said:
bob dylan said:
winnyason said:

Low????

Ditto.

I would have to work 6 years for that. I think some footballers are well overpaid when compared to the average hard working person.

The average person doesn't complete their work in front of a crowd of thousands and a massive viewing audience, have reporters following them around looking for any sort of story on them and have forums and the like based on their efforts either though

Kiwi Eagle said:
Townsville Eagle said:
bob dylan said:
winnyason said:

Low????

The average person doesn't complete their work in front of a crowd of thousands and a massive viewing audience, have reporters following them around looking for any sort of story on them and have forums and the like based on their efforts either though
Absolutely Kiwi. These blokes are paid a lot, but have short careers and have the media stalking their every move. Look at this week's ridiculous article about Hayne shopping on game day. As for the Snake, he's worth every cent. I love our two young halves and I stalked the Keiran forum, but I reckon Snake's worth more. He's gold.

Kiwi Eagle said:
Townsville Eagle said:
bob dylan said:
winnyason said:

Low????

Ditto.

Do they really have reporters following them around? Unless they've done something bad, the only time they would see them is at press conferences or a training session. We aren't really anywhere near the US or UK in that regard. They don't lead an anonymous private life but they are well compensated for that. I'm not begruding them for what they earn but I'm not going to start feeling sorry for them.

Lets not underestimate what these guys put there bodies through.

I know we all talk about Shoulder and Knee Recos here like they are nothing but they are a bit deal.

Think about Kosef, 4 Knee reconstructions, for our entertainment. tell me he doesnt deserve whatever he got

Masked Eagle said:
Kiwi Eagle said:
Townsville Eagle said:
bob dylan said:
winnyason said:

Low????

Ditto.

Do they really have reporters following them around? Unless they've done something bad, the only time they would see them is at press conferences or a training session. We aren't really anywhere near the US or UK in that regard. They don't lead an anonymous private life but they are well compensated for that. I'm not begruding them for what they earn but I'm not going to start feeling sorry for them.

There are reporters there who are solely there trying to dig dirt up, and in some cases, they do follow them

Wes Naiqama was stalked for a couple of weeks about 5-6 years ago now probably

Stevo said:
Dyami said:
There will be an announcement this Thursday or Friday about Brett staying with Manly and no I will not reveal my source.

Where is it??????

It was supposed to this week, however with Bretts injury taking priority, it has been delayed. I dont see the need to worry, and btw I have no reason to bull**** to any of my fellow Eagle supporters. If I know something I post it here, in the past I posted under my previous handle, Earnie the Eagle.

Bradza said:
OneEyedEagle said:

Sorry mate, but this line of justification doesn't stack up. What are they going to do for the rest of their working life, get a job like the rest of us! God forbid. If they do well out of their period in the game that's a bonus for them but there shouldn't be some kind of entitlement attached. There's plenty of people that work long physical hours every day.

I'm not saying I'm down on them if they do well out of the game but who ever decided that they have to earn their life's worth of income in that 10-13 yr window?

I think you will find the majority of them end up having some kind of normal job after football life.

We all have a choice in what profession we embark on. You and I could have choosen to be a professional sports person, a CEO of a large corporation or the ranga PM of Australia mWell maybe not a ranga :p:p lol.

All I am saying is don't be that hard on them as we all have a choice in what we can do and earn in income. Compared to other sports which is a form of entertainment for the rest of us mugs NRL players earn pitence when you compare to the earnings in Golf, Tennis, Motor Racing etc etc.

Kiwi Eagle said:
Masked Eagle said:
Kiwi Eagle said:
Townsville Eagle said:
bob dylan said:

Ditto.

There are reporters there who are solely there trying to dig dirt up, and in some cases, they do follow them

Was that before or after he flogged his then girlfriend, Paulinie(speling)? Remember her? Australian Idol contestant.

mozgrame said:
Kiwi Eagle said:
Masked Eagle said:
Kiwi Eagle said:
Townsville Eagle said:
Ditto.

Was that before or after he flogged his then girlfriend, Paulinie(speling)? Remember her? Australian Idol contestant.

Never happened

Napper said:
mozgrame said:
Kiwi Eagle said:
Masked Eagle said:
Kiwi Eagle said:

Never happened

And there it is case in point the effect media can have !!

He was disqualified from driving so they followed him looking for a shot of him in a car

Kiwi Eagle said:
Napper said:
mozgrame said:
Kiwi Eagle said:
Masked Eagle said:

Never happened

And there it is case in point the effect media can have !!

He was disqualified from driving so they followed him looking for a shot of him in a car

From memory wasn't he photographed driving leaving court or the club? Hadn't he also been charged 3-4 times for driving whilst having a disqualified license? Bit extreme to suggest he was some sort of victim of the press. Either way my point still stands, its not something every player has to go through and for the most part they aren't subjected to the sort of level of media intrusion unless they have done something wrong.

In 2007 Wes Naiqama was convicted of driving while disqualified for the fourth time. His license was suspended until 2015, and he was sentenced to eight months periodic detention with a non parole period of four months.
Now that's putting a target on yourself.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7