Sun-Herald: "Abbott promises Brookie a lifeline"

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Mark from Brisbane said:
I agree with the comment about a multi use Stadium, for example ( and not a fair comparison but you'll get the drift) Suncorp is currently being used by the Roar, the Reds and from next week the Broncos. We need either an A League or Super Rugby side playing out of there as well and if so it will happen

Great and nail on the head response Mark from Brisvegas. That's absolutely what will deliver a developed Brookie that is viable. It's cool we can share.

All of the afore mentioned politicians have been in Government before and not much has come Brookvale's way. Why would it come now. They don't need to court the votes of the voters in this area. They vote for the Liberal party anyway. Hasn't helped having a state liberal government in power, in fact it is worse. Why would it be any different if a Federal Liberal government came into power. By the way I think the Liberal party will win government

ABTK said:
lovefooty said:
ABTK said:
Is it April 1st? I'm more chance of being the next pope than Brookie being upgraded...

Well I wont be lining up to kiss your ring no matter what colour the smoke is.

I'll organise a special dispensation just for you, lovefooty. Everyone else will have to pucker up...

What does he kiss instead for the special dispensation?

Maybe we should make Mr Abbott an offer he cant refuse. Anyone got a horses head we could use for one night

tookey said:
ABTK said:
lovefooty said:
ABTK said:
Is it April 1st? I'm more chance of being the next pope than Brookie being upgraded...

I'll organise a special dispensation just for you, lovefooty. Everyone else will have to pucker up...

His ring is probably a bit sore after last night
Another comment with homosexual contitations. Is that the only way you think you can be amusing by making gay jokes. Not cool and not funny.

RL Gronk said:
tookey said:
ABTK said:
lovefooty said:
ABTK said:

His ring is probably a bit sore after last night
Another comment with homosexual contitations. Is that the only way you think you can be amusing by making gay jokes. Not cool and not funny.

Yeah. Gay jokes are so......gay?

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Hamster Huey said:
8) Verbal Promises
9) Written Promises

Apparently one is worth more than the other.
10) Hollow promises
11) empty promises

12) Core Promises
13) Non-Core Promises

We can thank the former Liberal Prime Minister for this wonderful bit of politicking.

The Who said:
Why couldn't Brookie host music concerts and corporate events?

because some resident who's just moved in 800m away from the venue will probably complain about noise. "how dare they make noise near my home"
(that i chose to move into knowing all too well a stadium is nearby)

in reality though, for concerts (big enough to fill it anyway), it isn't really an ideal location, it is too close to the established city locations and not a huge enough drawcard to steal events away from the city.

there does definitely have to be other uses found for it though to make the funding easier to secure. The council should be looking at things to engage the local community, regular events to use the space / make some money from it.. setting up open air cinema for a week, regular markets, school holiday attractions / mini fair type things like those temporary water parks that have been in sydney, those giant playgrounds that have something like 100 trampolines all attached together. get families in there using the space when there is no footy happening.

Politicians words in the year of an election and all that....but the other mob are not even bothering to feed us stories about possible $$$$, weve just been written off...at least theres a flicker of light at the end of this tunnel for us.

Cant see how this is a bad thing.

Phantar said:
MB - why should the prospective PM have a 'plan' for the ground? That is the Club and Council's role. He has set his sights on being the Prime Minister of Australia, not the Mayor of Warringah.

Sure, as one of Australia's most highly prominent individuals he can say anything he wants to garner support but that is alright because he is politician. If he doesn't support an upgrade to Brookie and can't provide tangible results then I can accept that - his choice is to put up or stfu. Surely he can come up with another sound-byte mantra that we can all swallow. He shouldn't 'offer' support or pretend he gives a stuff if he doesn't have a real alternative to the current impasse. I'm over his apologists. Put up or shut up Tony.

ManlyBacker said:
Phantar said:
MB - why should the prospective PM have a 'plan' for the ground? That is the Club and Council's role. He has set his sights on being the Prime Minister of Australia, not the Mayor of Warringah.

Sure, as one of Australia's most highly prominent individuals he can say anything he wants to garner support but that is alright because he is politician. If he doesn't support an upgrade to Brookie and can't provide tangible results then I can accept that - his choice is to put up or stfu. Surely he can come up with another sound-byte mantra that we can all swallow. He shouldn't 'offer' support or pretend he gives a stuff if he doesn't have a real alternative to the current impasse. I'm over his apologists. Put up or shut up Tony.

Hey I'm not even an Abbott supporter and I suspect from a number of the comments, I'm not alone. But if he gets us what we need with Brookie, I'd make him a life member of the club

Just doing some channel surfing before and saw Tony Abbott was answering questions about Brookvale Oval during his NBN press conference. Did anyone catch the full answer he gave? because I didn't hear him from the beginning, and can't yet find a transcript anywhere but it sounded like he was very hesitant and that he isn't going to put anymore than $10 Million into the redevelopment. I'm not sure how much is needed to bring the stadium into the 21st century but 10mill seemed a bit low for a Warringah candidate who will most likely be PM.

Mmmm the way last upgrade money was spent if we were "lucky" enough to get $10m for Brookie what would it actually get us...? A few extra rows of bench seats around the hill.

He stated that the previous commitments pre-2010 election are not currently on the table for this one. Still sympathetic to the cause but unwilling to suggest likely outcome if the LNP win.

Pretty much what we expected given the likely cuts by the Feds to shore up the budget into the next few years.

I won't be voting for Abbott his #fraudband is a joke and the NBN is a way bigger issue than brookvale oval. I wouldn't vote for him if he offered $40 million to brookie.

Jonesyv2 said:
I won't be voting for Abbott his #fraudband is a joke and the NBN is a way bigger issue than brookvale oval. I wouldn't vote for him if he offered $40 million to brookie.

Cheers Huey.

Nice Jonesy, at least you have the balls to back your convictions, I can't remember the last time I heard someone say they're not voting for Abbott due to fear of ridicule because that's the popular thing to do at the moment.....and yeah of course there are bigger issues than Brookie but that kinda $$$ is pocket change for a govt :D

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6