Supposed "Crisis at Manly" Megathread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
Clint said:
Mitch said:
rumours of Brett Stewart’s arrival have already upset star fullback Greg Inglis.

Plllleeaassee... What a crock this statement is?

No, really. This has, in turn, sparked rumours that Inglis wants to link back up with the Storm. Meanwhile, rumours that Inglis wants to return to the Storm have upset Billy Slater and as a result he has been linked to a move "home" to Brisbane, which is only 1600km from where he grew up in Innisfail. This has put Ben Barba's future under a cloud, but nobody really cares.

Do I get a job with the DT now?

Hands off our players, Manly Sea Eagles tell rivals
JULY 22, 2014
Adrian Proszenko July 22, 2014

Brothers in arms: Brett Stewart (right) may follow his brother Glenn, who has signed with South Sydney, out of Manly. Photo: Getty Images

Manly boss David Perry has gone to the NRL over concerns rival clubs are illegally approaching his star players with inducements to break their current contracts.

Sea Eagles gamebreakers Anthony Watmough, Brett Stewart and Steve Matai are believed to have asked the club for releases from the final year of their contracts, while rivals are already queuing up for the services of Queensland playmaker Daly Cherry-Evans. All of them are contracted to Manly until the end of next year.

Under NRL rules, rival clubs are allowed to approach player managers at any time, but only to discuss signings for periods after a player's current contract lapses.

However, Sea Eagles powerbrokers suspect their players are being pressured into asking for releases with a view to taking up big-money offers elsewhere.

"That is a concern, I spoke to the NRL today about it," Perry said.

"They will be keeping a close eye on certain processes to ensure everyone is working within the NRL guidelines.

"When you've got a player roster like ours, players will always be in demand. I don't blame other clubs for being interested in our players but I've got concerns around [how that is done]. That's something the NRL will have to look at, it's not my position to do it."

The NRL said it was not investigating any issues at present, as no evidence of breaches have been presented. But it would be almost impossible for a 'holding' club to prove that a rival was discussing a deal for, say, next year if they claimed they were negotiating for the following season.

"It's not my role to start drilling down into who is saying what," Perry said.

"I'm disappointed it has created half of these issues. If people work within those parameters, we probably won't be in this situation in regards to certain players.

"It's not just an NRL rule, it's the law – you can't induce people to break contracts."

As revealed by Fairfax Media last week, Parramatta have made Cherry-Evans their top recruitment priority. The Eels are also hopeful of adding Watmough to their forward pack, although they almost certainly won't be able to nab them both given their much-publicised falling out.

Parramatta coach Brad Arthur coached them during his stint as an assistant at Manly last year and they are thought to be close. There is no suggestion the blue and golds, who are only considering the duo when they become available on the open market, have acted improperly.

It's believed there is residual unrest at Manly over the decision not to offer Glenn Stewart a contract extension for next year. Stewart subsequently signed with South Sydney, while brother Brett's decision to sell a property he owned on the Northern Beaches further fuelled speculation he would follow suit.

Perry confirmed that Matai had previously asked for a release but said "there have been no formal requests" from Watmough or Brett Stewart.

Earlier this month, Matai was quoted as saying: "Glenn and I are quite close and the Warriors had put an offer through.

"I sat back, thought about it and realised it might be a good move for me and my family. It's a long-term contract and could be my last. I'm turning 30 this year. I've already asked the club for a release for next year. We'll see how everything unfolds and I might find myself over there."

I understand the logic of this now.

The boys are peeved because they can’t play with their mate anymore and can’t follow him to souffs so they are going to leave the rest of their mates and go and play somewhere else with a bunch of strangers. They will probably go to Parramatta because they have a 1 year old relationship with Brad Arthur which is strong enough to cause them to walk out on their decade long relationship with Tooves. Choc particularly wants to do all of this for less money than he would get at Manly next season.

It all makes perfect sense!!!

If Manly is "in crisis" what must the Dogs be in having let the Baby Tigpies put nine tries on them? Yet, for some reason, there are no such stories.
We have, however, other "clubs in crisis" to keep us company, such as:
Eels
Newcastle
George Illawarra
and the perennial basket-case, the Faders

For some strange reason the News Ltd owned Boncos are getting good press, and expect to win the competition for as long as St Benny lives.

From what I have read (with no inside info) I get the impression that the board schism is finally filtering down to the players. It is perhaps remarkable that the team remained insulated from it for so long.

Compared to the good old days of yesteryear, Manly Board has no great schism. Playing Roster is voted on and not determined based on personalities :cool:

The Journos have to acknowledge Manly's existence, as we do lead the premier winter sporting competition.
So they write about intangibles, as they see the inevitability of another Manly Premiership in 2014 - and it sticks in their craw :D

LOL at players wanting to go to the Eels.

Surely Brad Arthur is on borrowed time there, they look destined to finish in the bottom 4 or 6 again.

Its where in the bottom 4 they end up that could be the worry.

God I hope they can salvage the spoon from their current dizzy heights of 13th. It will take a big effort but I reckon they are up to it.

As someone has said in a previous post, I think a lot of this could be early contract positioning in order up the anti in negotiations and force upgrades. THere appears to be an element of 'we'll wreck the club if you try to screw us around'.

A guy like Watmough, legend that he is, is really gonna sacrifice a lot if he goes and has 2 or 3 miserable seasons at Parra. He'll sacrifice his one club status as a manly legend and all that goes with that. The same for Snake. Would he really want to commute out to dogsville and have his career fiz out pandering to their miserable fans. They will crucify him if he breaks down with an injury and sits out games -which is always on the card. He's not gonna get treated like that at Manly. You only have to go onto the kennel to see how quickly those muppets want to kick the sh.t out of their players when they dont perform.

All in all, manly is greater that the sum of its parts. THey are great because they're a great team. Some of our guys, playing outside of that culture, may have a completely different experience and end up like Benji at the Saints or Luke Lewis at Cronulla. Playing out your career at Parra or the dogs woudl be a miserable way to finish great careers. And miserable for us, because we love em and want to keep em.

Very well put.
It wouldn't surprise me if Darcy Lussick and Hoppa Jnr return to the fold when their contracts end, on greatly reduced salaries.

Just realise this. The more our odds shorten for the title, the greater the girly schrill squealing from Rothknob and his ilk will be. Stand back, ignore the morons in the media and assess the situation for these players. They aren't going anywhere, this is all just a massive beat up to get a decision on their final contracts and the club is stoking it to get us away from premiership favourite talk. These guys thrive on us against the world scenarios.

BOZO said:
Crisis at Manly. We are leading the comp and every one else can go and get F####d LOL :)
BtCVo3CCMAALST8.jpg

So, this may have just been a poker game but, my mate lives next door to Gifty. I saw him before work tonight, and he told me there was an interesting meeting or poker game there today. Obviously Gifty was there being his house, then three more arrived.
Like i said,could be mates getting together for a catch up, but just sharing what i was told. Other three were Snake, Choc and the media leak.

Normal ops then. Zero and Gifty have coffee in Collaroy regularly. :cool:

It would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic - well paid men griping about their benefactors :dodgy:

#StrongerTogether, as in Manly Club, must not have registered with the culture club :mad:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11