Surely they can't be serious about this (Brookie Oval)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Ron E. Gibbs said:
Warringah Council, like every other local council, is an unworkable joke filled with would-be state and federal politicians training for a 'grander' stage and local meddlers with an axe to grind. I wish we could vote the idiots out and start afresh, but the sad fact is these idiots will be replaced by a new crop of idiots with the same axes to grind. Without state or federal money to take the council out of the equation, we're stuffed.

This design has not been driven by the elected Councillors.

It is the Council staff who have failed to adequately brief the Design team on the importance of getting the Stadium upgrade part of the project right.

Just replace those tiny little stands on the sidelines with decent sized two storey stands catering for 5000 undercover seats each (10,000 seats total) and it will be all good.

I would like to know if manly has someone inside the organization who is responsible for letting the council know what they need out of a ground..
As it stands it looks like they don't even know each other.

It just seems they have read our requests and said "if they want a hill, we'll give them 2 half hills!!!" They have completely missed the mark here with this one. If the council accepts this bull**** of an idea I won't be very happy.

People who have no idea what they're talking aboot need to **** off.

I hope nobody got paid for that unless it's for Beverly Job, the Hawks would love that.

That design holds about the same as Rat Park.

What we need is a full stadium from the South Eastern corner to the North end. Leave the hill as it is & corporatise the rest, give it a nice 30,000 capacity. Then we have to guilt everyone who was there on Sunday to turn up every week.

I can't see the NRL accepting it - kiss goodbye to any televised games as I can't see any media boxes, then again this is only one design of many I hope. It really depends on what brief the consulting company was given.

The following article is from today's MD and references the same diagram we have been seeing. There is no way that picture holds more than 2000 undercover seats, yet it is claimed it will be 8000. To say that the brief wasn't pushed by the Council is ridiculous - it is a camel designed by a committee needing a horse.

"BROOKVALE Oval would be home to an extended, horseshoe-shaped hill area under a “new vision” for the peninsula’s NRL headquarters.

Two master plans have been prepared for the site, with both suggesting broadening the hill area and construction of a grandstand on the eastern side.

Outside the sports ground, the plans show the potential for several multi-storey buildings, three public plazas and a bicycle loop.

While some say the plans “have it all”, Sea Eagles fans have already raised concerns about crowd capacity under the new design.

Manly Sea Eagles chief operating officer David Perry said seating would be a critical part of the planning process.

Mr Perry said NRL guidelines recommended 8000 undercover seats, while Brookvale Oval currently only had 3250.

A Warringah Council spokeswoman said the number of seats provided under the new plans had not been determined.

“It is just a consultation process we are going through at the moment with all the stakeholders,” Mr Perry said.

“And obviously the NRL is going to be included in that because we want to get to a certain standard to meet their guidelines.”

The main difference between the two designs is the number and height of the multi-storey buildings at the southern end of the oval that have been proposed for either residential, commercial or retail use.

Both plans will now be considered by stakeholders and community representatives before a final one is chosen and then placed on public exhibition in September.

Warringah Mayor Michael Regan said the plans “had it all”.

“They keep the trees and parkland that locals love and best of all extend our much-loved hill around the oval,” he said.

“If this is accepted by the community it will give us the opportunity to provide a beautiful new park and facilities for the community, as well as secure Brookvale as the home of rugby league and professional sport on the northern beaches.”

A spokeswoman for Warringah Council said the organisation could sell a portion of the site for the multi-storey development or lease the space to pay for the overhaul.

She said the organisation was yet to determine how much the proposed redevelopment would cost.

Project director Adrian McGregor, from Manly firm McGregor Coxall, said the design was an “opportunity that shouldn’t be missed”.

“These designs show how responsible and environmentally-friendly development can be used for the benefit of the entire community,” he said.

“It is exciting to think how we could lead the world in demonstrating how a professional sporting venue can also become a place for the community to work and play.”

PROPOSED CHANGES
 Brookvale Park master plans include:
 Spectators hill to be extended into a horseshoe shape around three sides of the oval;
 Construction of stand with undercover seating and improved amenities on the eastern side;
 Three public plazas;
 ``Village’’ courtyard;
 Multi-storey buildings with potential for commercial, residential and retail use

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/news/story/brookvale-park-master-plan-calls-for-horseshoe-oval/

I dunno know but kind of like it. Manly is one of the last traditional type clubs. Hills green old fashioned with a simple oval is cool. Put it this way we are lucky to be alive as a club (if it wasnt for delmege) so count yr blessings.

The problem with this plan is hightlighted by the comment of the Mayor.. He says that the plan is good for the 'park'. That description of the plan as a 'park' is correct. It looks like a multi-functional park. Good for athletics, school use and all sports, EXCEPT a professional league team. There are no corporate box facilities, the leveling of the 'hill' is plainly silly and the two stands are small and exposed. Hopefully the club will get real and put a strong objection to this plan. The Sea Eagles pay over $350 thousand per year in rent and that certainly would go if this silly smallness gets the green light. The SFS/Telstra would pay us to play there. Manly Sea Eagle Wanderers anyone?

Guys this is an artists impression for gods sake. If North Sydney Oval or Redfern Oval aren't fit or approved for NRL games then how can this be? All you can take out of this is that this particular person is pushing for a complete green redevelopment.

here is a video explaining the designs.

Make sure you comment and dislike it :)

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/user/warringahcouncil#p/u/0/p2ki0O7UblY[/video]

http://www.youtube.com/user/warringahcouncil#p/u/0/p2ki0O7UblY

Everyone comment on that clip stating both the artists impressions are nothing but utter **** or this ****stick will keep drawing terrible plans

The one a year or so ago looked ****ing nice,that however is ****ing woeful

Actually they have done a good job thinking about the uses and especially the development at the southern end which is quite large. What hasn't been stated is the capacity for undercover seating (they are removing both the Arko and Fulton/Menzies stands) and the other areas. That is really the critical aspect of the design and any future NRL demands for capacity and seating. Still, I like where they are going with it. I am hoping the eastern stand at the current hill is a multi-tiered building behind the existing area.

This is the better option of the two concept designs out there

Attachments

• newstand-2-large.jpeg
    5.4 KB · Views: 63
I looked and listened to the designer. What seems to be happening is that there's confusion in his mind about two things. Firstly he describes the area as a park, and later as a stadium. A park, with commercial building at one end is the thing he's designed. I doubt anyone cares about the council building, or having built, structures along the front of the existing stadium. What is disturbing is that the stadium seems to be disappearing, to be replaced by what is a playing area for schools, athletics and other more passive sports to be accommodated. This might be the current Councils intent. To move the Eagles on as desired by some local activists. I think the whole idea is to squeeze us out, by neglect, or by design.

Guys this is a set-up by Council. If they wanted a stadium they would have engaged a stadium architect. They want a park (what's wrong with a square Oval?) so they engaged a landscape architect who I doubt by the plans I saw on youtube has designed a sports facility with a bigger capacity than 2 swings.

Brookie is one of the best grounds in the NRL for parking e.g. it has plenty of parking in the industrial area away from residents behind Maccas and it is free! They will kill the place by putting parking under the Fulton/Menzies Stand directly off Pittwater Road. Putting more cars near the main pedestrian gates will worsen the safety conflicts and kill any hopes for increasing bus patronage to the venue in the future as traffic and petrol prices grow (real green thinking - where is the multi-deck cycle parking?).

When designing these things you start with a list of requirements for the sport e.g. NRL to ensure it is compliant with the league and then add capacity and extras if you have the $$$. The lack of corporate facilities and seating will make this a financial disaster and the MWSE will be off to the SFS quick smart.

MWSE have three options:

1. engage a real team of stadium planning professionals to come up with an alternate scheme
2. get everyone to react negatively to the Council plan to get it shot down
3. move

I am thinking they will take the easy option financially which is number 3.

All they have to do is design something similar to Bluetongue stadium. Instead of the beachside/roadside have the hill.

Simple. Capacity at 20-25k.

They need to have corporate boxes etc to make money.. make a deal with the Council they get parts of the profit.. What is this 'park' bull****. Absolute ridiculous.

Not sure if this has anything to do with the park business, but at the locker room day, we were told about who Jane Try is and why the stand is named after her. It turns out that she donated the land that Brookvale Oval sits on, on the condition that it remains a park. That could have something to do with why the plans don't involve more of a stadium look.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2