Surely they can't be serious about this (Brookie Oval)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Phantar said:
For Regan to suggest that it will somehow meet the requirements of an NRL team shows he is either being disingenuous because he has another agenda

If it wasn't for Regan using his casting vote to vote down the hare brained proposals of Kirsch, Laugesen and De Luca in relation to Brookvale Oval then the Sea Eagles would already be long gone. First they tried to block the Sea Eagles current licence that was agreed by the Administrator. Then they wanted to change the terms so the Sea Eagles paid a licence fee of 30% of all revenue from the ground plus they wanted to demand 30% of the TV rights relating to Brookvale Oval games from the NRL. They voted to not proceed with the $10 million works going on over the last few years (no doubt wanting to use the money for Bike tracks and community gardens).

Thankfully we had Regan, with his casting vote in the Sea Eagles corner. Regan, Julie Sutton, Jason Falinski, Bob Giltinan and Helen Wilkins have been the five Councillors sticking up for the Sea Eagles at every turn. You may not like everything Regan has done as Mayor, but the last thing we need is for Sea Eagles fans to be turning on him and the other four. Sea Eagles fans, particularly Warringah voters, should support them at every opportunity.

If you want to give it to someone, Kirsch, Laugesen, De Luca and Ray should be your targets.

As for Regan's comments on the concepts, he has to be publicly supportive. Council need to get the Development component of the proposal over the line if there is going to be any money for the ground. As the above highlights we have a highly politicised, split Council which means a lot of politicking has to go on. This includes seemingly unnecessary and costly consultation processes so that when something ultimately gets pushed through with the Mayor's casting vote after a 5-5 deadlock, there is less scope for the losers to whinge about the process.

Regan is well aware that the oval part of the concept plan still needs a lot of work. I think people are taking these drawings a little too literally. They are high level concept drawings and along way from final. You can rest assured there will be no Hill in front of the Jane Try stand in the final plans.

Your right Simmo. After I wrote my second diatribe, I realised that the little public comment from the Club and indeed what has been said by David Perry, would indicate that they know this may just be part of a 'showboating' process. For example - there has been no loud caterwailing in print from Peter Peters!

Like all savvy proponents of new developments, i.e. the proposed towers at the southern end, they (Regan et al) know that something on that scale will never see the light of day and will inevitably be scaled back. Likewise that the ground as planned is not what is required. They are just going through the motions of indicating to a vocal minority of johnny-come-lately Brookvale Valley and Narraweena slopes residents that they give a f-ck for their injured sensibilities.

Essentially a fishing trip.

It needs to retain the name Brookvale Oval.

Narly said:
How about a new stadium at St Ives showground? Heaps of room and no traffic problems...
That's not a bad idea, it's actually a closer drive for me, but honestly you gotta stay at Brookvale. It has all the history.

torana355 said:
The Who said:
You can have both. Let's not make Brookie a concrete jungle. Keep the eastern hill and build new grandstands on the other three sides.
That could work. Put up some great grandstands like the ones at Drugcastle on the other three sides and fix the hill up, perhaps even putting a smaller grandstand behind the hill. What kind of ground capacity would we need? 30k?
Yea, there needs to be some Hill Areas retained as well.
A similar layout to the Newc ISC would be good, with Hill areas at either end though that involves a lot of major construction.

A capacity of 30k sounds nice at a glance, but if the NRL retain the finals rules where suburban-based teams play all early finals games at the SFS or Stadium Australia then there's little point of increasing Brookie over 25k capacity.

I think Regan has been hamstrung abit due to the jonhy come lately left wing greenies on the council. Nothing against the bloke because as posted here he has been in our corner but i think the ground has to be taken away from the council and have a trust looking after it. Then we will see some real action.

Look at all the stadia in sydneys west yets theres nothing decent north of the harbour bridge.

A 25 - 30K stadium on the northern beaches is a must. Not only for manly but for both Union teams and even Sydeny FC to play the odd game.

Cambo said:
I think Regan has been hamstrung abit due to the jonhy come lately left wing greenies on the council. Nothing against the bloke because as posted here he has been in our corner but i think the ground has to be taken away from the council and have a trust looking after it. Then we will see some real action.

Look at all the stadia in sydneys west yets theres nothing decent north of the harbour bridge.

A 25 - 30K stadium on the northern beaches is a must. Not only for manly but for both Union teams and even Sydeny FC to play the odd game.

Damn staight Cambo, but we aren't going to get anything. Same as the south doesn't get anything either (Kogarah aside, but that isn't really a top class stadium anyway, despite the upgrade). The funding will continue to be poured into the Western Suburbs, NSW government is far happier to build a brand new stadium at Homebush or Bankstown rather than upgrade a ground on the north shore or the Shire even though it'd be half the cost & get used more.

Realistically we only need a 25k seat stadium, we aren't going to fill it on a regular basis & nor will Sydney FC/Waratards/Shute Shield/Manly FC whenever they play at the ground.

My preference would be to build a grandstand where the family hill is & link the three grandstands plus extending them down to pitch level, leaving the hill as is.

Wolfpack said:
Realistically we only need a 25k seat stadium, we aren't going to fill it on a regular basis & nor will Sydney FC/Waratards/Shute Shield/Manly FC whenever they play at the ground.

My preference would be to build a grandstand where the family hill is & link the three grandstands plus extending them down to pitch level, leaving the hill as is.

The WIN stadium effect......not bad

I personally spoke to the Mayor at the Brookie Oval consultation today, he is very supportive of the club and we do need him as we will get nothing from the other half of the council.

Wolfpack said:

I appreciate a lot of people love the Hill as it is but if the Eastern side remains that way then the Sea Eagles won't survive at Brookvale.

Putting another stand behind the goal posts would be madness. People and especially Corporates want to watch the game from the prime location along the sidelines.

I actually think the concept design is pretty good. It integrates the development, the ground and the park well. They just need to get the 2 grandstands the right size and lose the grass in front of the Jane Try Stand and we will be in business.

Replace the Jane Try Stand with something very similar to what Newcastle have just built on their western side. That is, 5000 undercover seats, 3000 concourse seats in front (not grass) and proper corporate and media facilities.

On the Hill side, build the same grandstand rising up behind the Hill providing another 5000 undercover seats and more Corporate facilities. The Hill can remain in front rather than being tiered concourse seating like the western side. Northern Family Hill will remain (although reduced because the development has moved the field North) while the Southern end would be standing room as part of the new plaza walkway as per the concept design.

10,000 undercover seats, 3000 concourse seats and 10,000 Hill/General Admission = 23,000 capacity. 13,000 ticketed reserved seats is more than 3 times what we have to sell now plus we will finally have premium corporate facilities to help us lift our sponsorship sales.

That's what we should all be pushing for. Basically, the concept design and the Southern end development, but with the ground part done right.

In an ideal world I would have the hill replaced with terraces & have corporate boxes at the top.

I just don't think that the idea of building an entire grandstand along the eastern side of the ground would be feasible or in the best interests of the club.

Wolfpack said:
In an ideal world I would have the hill replaced with terraces & have corporate boxes at the top.

I just don't think that the idea of building an entire grandstand along the eastern side of the ground would be feasible or in the best interests of the club.

I think we should get a small cowboys stadium with a capacity of around 30k,although somehow incorporating the hill into this design

It would be ****ing cool

Project upgrade, from the Warringah Council site - http://yoursaywarringah.com.au/brookvalepark

The McGregor Coxall project team have held two workshops with key stakeholders this week to present the first options on which to base a master plan for Brookvale Park. These options have also been uploaded to Council's website and there has been some media coverage of them and the project.

What we have heard...

•There are requirements for game days that do not appear to be catered for, such as access for ambulances, parking for media and the location of the cameras if the Oval is moved to the north – the project team is identifying what these needs are and considering how they could be accommodated.

•The current options do not have enough under cover seating – the Manly Sea Eagles will be meeting with the project team shortly to discuss their seating requirements.

•Local residents in Alfred Street are concerned about over-shadowing – shadow studies are being undertaken and the project team will meet with local residents to discuss the outcomes of the shadow modelling.

•Traffic generation from new development is a concern – traffic studies are underway to model intersection capacity and increased traffic volumes associated with development. More information about this will be available shortly.

•Game day parking remains an issue – Council is undertaking traffic studies and will shortly commence work on a game day traffic management plan in consultation with stakeholders.

•Maintenance of the trees along Pittwater Road has been warmly welcomed.

•Opening up the park and oval is generally supported, provided access can be managed on game days.

•Provision of community facilities is supported and local schools have indicated they would like to have better access to facilities and space at the oval.

•Embellishing the park with upgraded playground and the potential for additional sporting activities such as basketball and netball is strongly supported.

The project team is continuing to work on developing a preferred master plan and commence work on draft concept designs. These will be placed on exhibition and a full consultation process will commence from late August.

lets get to the sfs!! how great were those semi final games in 2008, 30 odd thousand and great seating, screens, comfort, facilities and loads of corporate boxes. Big dough to be made. I'm sick of all this Brookie revamp stuff, we have been discussing this for a long time. Liberal/Labor, Greens with bike tracks (lol) alot of fans come from elsewhere anyway.

Darren said:
lets get to the sfs!! how great were those semi final games in 2008, 30 odd thousand and great seating, screens, comfort, facilities and loads of corporate boxes. Big dough to be made. I'm sick of all this Brookie revamp stuff, we have been discussing this for a long time. Liberal/Labor, Greens with bike tracks (lol) alot of fans come from elsewhere anyway.
bu..bu..but the hill?

Darren said:

Exactly right Darren. Madness to build another boutique stadium in Sydney when so many areas around the country have nothing. I love Brookie and grew up watching us there every weekend Manly played but the time has come to move to SFS. If we keep wining then people will come to watch us. Imagine Manly v Saints,Souffs,Rorters,Tigers,Parra,Dogs at SFS -35000 easy plus heaps of corporate sales. Come on get real we cant keep up this redevelop Brookie **** its not feasible.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
  • lsz
    First Grader
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8