• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Garts said:
Of course Symonds is not a centre, he is a backrower.

Very true. The criticism of T-Red is too harsh. Had he not been in our 17 we'd have had Hasson, who certainly couldn't have covered a backline spot. The modern day preference of having four forwards on the bench - three of whom are usually props - is a flawed strategy for this reason. If a back gets hurt then it means a lot of players are shuffled into unfamiliar positions.
The only alternative would have been to play Buhrer in the backs, but does anybody think he'd have done a better job there than T-Red? Buhrer was our most impressive forward and should now be classed as a starter rather than a bench-warmer.

Masked Eagle said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:
sheridanstand78 said:
Credit to Cronk, the winning try came from a perfect kick.
The one he put through to score himself was good thinking too.
Cronk's composure and execution won that game for them. (And hopefully gave DCE some motivation to keep improving.)

The grubber he put through deflected off a Manly leg, unless he meant it that kick was meant to be for his outside men.

And I'm willing to bet that the match winning crossfield banana kick could be tried another 20 times and it wouldn't end up how and where it did. Regardless of T-Red playing in the centres, the kick was just one of those things that it landed in no-mans land.

So two kicks that didn't go where they should have.

StuBoot said:
Masked Eagle said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:
sheridanstand78 said:
Cronk's composure and execution won that game for them. (And hopefully gave DCE some motivation to keep improving.)

The grubber he put through deflected off a Manly leg, unless he meant it that kick was meant to be for his outside men.

And I'm willing to bet that the match winning crossfield banana kick could be tried another 20 times and it wouldn't end up how and where it did. Regardless of T-Red playing in the centres, the kick was just one of those things that it landed in no-mans land.

no man's land as in straight in the melbourne players hands?

Brookie said:
StuBoot said:
Masked Eagle said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:
sheridanstand78 said:

Apologies, that should read "landed in Kurt Mann's land"!

StuBoot said:
Brookie said:
StuBoot said:
Masked Eagle said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:

Apologies, that should read "landed in Kurt Mann's land"!

Hahaha! Gold StuBoot, GOLD!!

mickqld said:
Watching that last try again I thought T Red had that ball covered but pulled out thinking he wouldn't catch it cleanly. He screwed up big time same as Snake and Wolf did in the GF with the Jennings try. You can't run that risk you must cover the ball. Last night it cost us 2 points last year it cost us a premiership.

Well Symonds has been dropped for Hassan.
I think that is a great move. Regardless of it being just one error, Toovey is making a statement that he does not stand mediocrity. If he wants to make mediocre plays there are teams like Newcastle or Canberra he can play for.
NYEagle

Boy, I wouldn't want many of you hard buggers marking my maths test,

Tred has a go and goes OK in any position they put him. Can you name many wingers or centres that haven't been made to look silly by a kick and bouncing ball this year?

Let's see how Jamie Lyon goes in the second row before we crucify the ranga.
Oops, sorry wrong example .. he'd Kill it.)

NYEagle said:
mickqld said:
Watching that last try again I thought T Red had that ball covered but pulled out thinking he wouldn't catch it cleanly. He screwed up big time same as Snake and Wolf did in the GF with the Jennings try. You can't run that risk you must cover the ball. Last night it cost us 2 points last year it cost us a premiership.

Well Symonds has been dropped for Hassan.
I think that is a great move. Regardless of it being just one error, Toovey is making a statement that he does not stand mediocrity. If he wants to make mediocre plays there are teams like Newcastle or Canberra he can play for.
NYEagle
No, you are wrong. He has been named 18th man - and not picked for the NSW Cup. It's the same scenario as against Melbourne. T-Red played in jersey 18 that night. As I stated earlier, he offers more versatility than any of the other reserves. None of them could play in the backs should injury strike. T-Red is the closest thing we have to an all-rounder, Buhrer excepted, and is valuable on the bench.
Give T-Red a break.

The Who said:
No, you are wrong. He has been named 18th man - and not picked for the NSW Cup. It's the same scenario as against Melbourne. T-Red played in jersey 18 that night. As I stated earlier, he offers more versatility than any of the other reserves. None of them could play in the backs should injury strike. T-Red is the closest thing we have to an all-rounder, Buhrer excepted, and is valuable on the bench.
Give T-Red a break.

Just leave his thumb alone.

It must be difficult for Tom to settle and impress with limited game-time and shifting from the back-row to cover the centres etc.

I think he's suffering a bit from the super-sub syndrome like Ferris did - and look how well Ferris went with more match time.

I still really like what TRed has to offer.
One admittedly big error doesn't change that for me.

He looks like a classy footballer, and I reckon he could be really useful again...Injury free and just with more time on the field.

Thanks @susan...I respect your opinion.

I'd like to see what Tom could do with more time in 1st grade; I don't know how we achieve that unless through further injuries. Which we don't want.
Unless we swapped him for Horo or Ferris some time - but that's hard to justify now - esp with Ferris.

Alan said:
Boy, I wouldn't want many of you hard buggers marking my maths test,

Tred has a go and goes OK in any position they put him. Can you name many wingers or centres that haven't been made to look silly by a kick and bouncing ball this year?

Let's see how Jamie Lyon goes in the second row before we crucify the ranga.
Oops, sorry wrong example .. he'd Kill it.)

Alan - respect your opinion.

But this is Manly, and mediocrity should never be tolerated. I watch this team week after week, and I watch other teams too. Manly players throw themselves into their work like virtually no other team in the NRL. Under pressure situations, they don't think, they go for the ball.

Whether Symonds has been dropped or not is not really important, but I expect he has been sent a clear message not to go ball watching. Another example is Wolfman. If he had have had a solid grand final, win or lose, I believe he would be first pick on the wing this year.

The club won't say it, but they have very high standards and will make life very difficult for players who ball watch or hope for errors. But in that same environment, we get so see mediocre players from other clubs come to Manly, and if they buy the culture, they thrive.

And you have to love them for that!

NYEagle

Snake said:
NYEagle said:
If he wants to make mediocre plays there are teams like Newcastle or Canberra he can play for.

:D that's awesome...love your work!

You are welcome, I seek to entertain :)

NYEagle

NYEagle said:
The club won't say it, but they have very high standards and will make life very difficult for players who ball watch or hope for errors. But in that same environment, we get so see mediocre players from other clubs come to Manly, and if they buy the culture, they thrive.

I love this about Manly! Apparently the senior playing group really get into the boys at training if they slacken off too!

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6