The 18th team ( maybe 2025)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Would like to see Perth be the 18th team. What's the point of replicating another clustered Sydney in areas they would follow league anyway in Qld
To many teams in Sydney as it is without adding more and as far as NZ or pacific Island teams, go, it's a domestic competition not international.

At least with Perth its in a new market, yes some tough times but growing a national game. Which for me has been a little embarrassing having a "national" rugby league when no serious attempt to grow it outside 2 states.
Might as well just stay as NSWQRL, not a very marketable name though.
Rant over

While the majority of NRL clubs are keen on an 18-team competition to avoid one team having a bye each round, concerns remain over whether the talent pool is deep enough to maintain a strong competition standard.

I'd question whether the coaching pool is is deep enough

If they want to have quality players and maintain a high standard of play they need the next team to be in NZ and to attract a few of their rugby players to the game over the medium term. A team in Perth will, like Melbourne, just drain the player pool further and hurt the product in the end.

While the majority of NRL clubs are keen on an 18-team competition to avoid one team having a bye each round, concerns remain over whether the talent pool is deep enough to maintain a strong competition standard.

I'd question whether the coaching pool is is deep enough
I'm available for the right money!

I think it is inevitable that we will be a 20 team comp in the next 10 years or so.
I really think that Perth is the only option for the 18th team.
19 and 20th teams either NZ South Island, Adelaide or possible second Melbourne team?

Forget the Bears .

The Bears are Dead

They have been put out of their misery years ago

And I dont have to put a picture of a Dead Bears corpse to prove it

I think it is inevitable that we will be a 20 team comp in the next 10 years or so.
I really think that Perth is the only option for the 18th team.
19 and 20th teams either NZ South Island, Adelaide or possible second Melbourne team?
rj90,

I think that you’re mostly correct but I don’t think a 2nd Melbourne team would be a goer.

My thoughts are that teams 18-20 should be, Jets/Firehawks in SE QLD, Perth and a team here on the Central Coast(NOT THE F’n BEARs though!!!) but I think the CC is unlikely, more probably a 2nd NZ team.

Either way I reckon that next 10 years is about the right timescale.

Last edited:
To me the time zone will come into play with this , not the “ do we have enough players “.

The broadcasters stump up the money for this so the thought of “ Super Dooper Saturday “ with 4 live games ( the last from Perth at 9.30pm in the eastern states and still live ) will be the clincher.

rj90,

I think that you’re mostly correct but I don’t think a 2nd Melbourne team would be a goer.

My thoughts are that teams 18-20 should be, Jets/Firehawks in SE QLD, Perth and a team here on the Central Coast(NOT THE F’n BEARs though!!!) but I think the CC is unlikely, more probably a 2nd NZ team.

Either way I reckon that next 10 years is about the right timescale.
Can't see CC either with the amount of Sydney team we have.
Unless they get rid of some unnecessary clubs like the Tigers or Dragons haha.

To me the time zone will come into play with this , not the “ do we have enough players “.

The broadcasters stump up the money for this so the thought of “ Super Dooper Saturday “ with 4 live games ( the last from Perth at 9.30pm in the eastern states and still live ) will be the clincher.

100% agree with this! Time zones will be a huge deciding factor in the expansion of the game, which is why I'm think NZ or Perth is likely a go-er.

It really should be Perth, they need to grow the game in areas outside the heartland. That will increase the games footprint and bring new eyes to the screens and in turn increase the tv money even more. Eventually Adelaide and a Ipswich team will follow to make the 20. Would be very surprised to see a 2nd NZ team come in

If a 20 team competition is the aim , then Perth should be the absolute number 1 option considered.

As to the other two, I think another Brisbane side is very logical , the infrastructure and interest is already there in western Brisbane.

And to me then a toss up between , NZ South Island ( for all the Rugby players who can’t play for the All Blacks ) and central Queensland ( Mackay or Rockhampton), with me leaning towards CQ.

If a 20 team competition is the aim , then Perth should be the absolute number 1 option considered.

As to the other two, I think another Brisbane side is very logical , the infrastructure and interest is already there in western Brisbane.

And to me then a toss up between , NZ South Island ( for all the Rugby players who can’t play for the All Blacks ) and central Queensland ( Mackay or Rockhampton), with me leaning towards CQ.
I agree with Perth being number 1 Mark, I admit I am biased because i've lived here for 12 years..
Yes it's an AFL heartland but they love all sport, especially if there's an interest (i.e any WA based team) There are club membership stickers on vehicles (most teams), plenty of jerseys around and about (with QLD, NSW, Souths, Warriors and Manly being the most noted) Plenty of closet Chook supporters too
Apparently the Reds had crowds of 13-15K in their time, and that was when the population was less than half its current size.
Plenty of people from the UK, RSA and NZ too who like 'Rugby'

260112644_6453594321381409_1002216106962493584_n.jpg

Christchurch before Perth is a big mistake, in my opinion.

I also take the above with a grain of salt..

The game should continue to shore up interest in RL strongholds, rather than into markets like Perth or Adelaide. The latter in particular is even further behind Melbourne in its understanding that ‘rugby’ refers to rugby union, not league.

Nor is it a market with much ‘wriggle room’ left:

Adelaide is already home to two AFL franchises;
an A-league team; plus
basketball, et al.

Adelaide is now Australasia’s (Auckland overtook Adelaide decades ago) sixth largest city (down from third about 60 years ago), with historically the slowest population growth rate (although there has been a strong uptick recently) of the mid-sized mainland capitals.

If you must push into AFL territory, there is more upside going back into Perth, a city with a bigger population than all of South Australia - but only after you have secured the flanks in NSW, Queensland and possibly the South Island.

I reckon the Bears should come back and merge with Parra. Their boundaries join up so it makes sense. Parra have been wanting to get rid of the Eel mascot for a while. You could just call them the Westie Norths Losers and you would have a mascot that both sides of the JV could identify with that captures the history of both clubs.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6