The 80's

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

midsteyne

loyal forever
For me,watching the replays from the eighties on Fox is all new to me,from 81 thru to 88 I was in both Victoria and WA whilst in the RAAF and both of those states showed no NRL on either the news or replays,I pretty much missed out on results,players and in fact all things Sea Eagles.
How good is it to see the good ,and and ugly of that decade.

For me,watching the replays from the eighties on Fox is all new to me,from 81 thru to 88 I was in both Victoria and WA whilst in the RAAF and both of those states showed no NRL on either the news or replays,I pretty much missed out on results,players and in fact all things Sea Eagles.
Great footy, great characters just so uncomplicated compared to the game now.

You poor bastard. I hope that they paid you well for that sacrifice of forgoing the Sea Eagles for all those years.

I missed that era due to my age. 1989 was the first season i can remember watching, so I've been watching those 80's games on fox with interest too.
One thing i noticed that was a suprise was the use of the sin bin for throwing punches was quite common back then. Yet a few years back when that rule was 'introduced ' the old timers were saying the game is getting soft.....

Love all those Phil Blake moments.....and then Des Hasler came to Manly & Phil slowly went off the boil. Then from half/5/8 to centre to winger (also some reserve grade) and then to the Rabbits, Canberra, Stgeorge, Norths & Warriors. Did I leave any teams out?
I loved watching him play.

Last edited:
Enjoyed that clip. I'm just a tad too young to remember Blake playing for Manly. The first I remember of him is when he was carving it up for Souths in around 1989 I think. Great player in his prime.

Only the one premiership for the Sea Eagles for the 80's but still some very competitive and entertaining Manly sides to support and cheer on , Great Manly players of the era such as Snoz O'Conner , Crusher Cleal , Fatty Vautin , Cliffy , Rowdy Shearer and even guys like Hasler , Boustead , a brilliant Phil Blake [ earleir on ] . Similar with Les Boyd Geoff Gerrard Bruce Walker , Alan Thompson, Igor Randell, Wombat Eadie and even Choppy Close . Also pleasing that a virtual S O O Broncos had no real success during the later part of the 80 's and failed to live up to expectations . Some interesting changes and developments for Australia during the 80 's but footy wise still a pleasing time to be a Manly supporter .

I hated the 80's, the music was ****.
giphy.gif

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8