The 8th Immortal to be named this year.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
bones said:
Am I biased in thinking Steve Menzies should be on the list? I can't help but feel that had he played for a team that was strong for his whole career, or if manly didn't go through that crappy period between 99 - 2004 he would be. In my mind he is equal to any back rower I have ever seen. Is it anti manly biased or is he paying the price for Manlys lean years in the middle of his career? Or is he not as good as I rate him?

He is still playing, even if it is in the UK and therefore wont be considered yet

bones said:
Am I biased in thinking Steve Menzies should be on the list? I can't help but feel that had he played for a team that was strong for his whole career, or if manly didn't go through that crappy period between 99 - 2004 he would be. In my mind he is equal to any back rower I have ever seen. Is it anti manly biased or is he paying the price for Manlys lean years in the middle of his career? Or is he not as good as I rate him?

Nope, your not biased. Menzies should be there, but just later on. I do like Jonos prioritised list.

Jono said:
bob dylan said:
I notice in RLW they have put I together a panel to add another immortal.

Contenders seem to be

Andrew Johns
Mal Meninga
Brad Fittler
Norm Provan
Peter Sterling
Lauren Daley
Darren Lockyer
Alfie Langer

Personally I hope its Provan or Ron Coote or Noel Kelly.

It has to go to Norm Provan before the others. Why he isn't already I do not know. The rest haven't been around long enough in service of the game to deserve the title of immortal yet.

I'd go: Provan, Sterling, Meninga, Johns, Menzies, Lockyer

The answer's plain and simple politics.
He wasn't in the first lot due to them not wanting a St George love fest. I'm sure Joe Public can see he was just a great player regardless.
The 2nd time is more of a State vs State thing.
Hopefully in this time.

Locky's not eligible yet due to only retiring last year. You have to be retired for 5 years.

Daniel said:
bones said:

He is still playing, even if it is in the UK and therefore wont be considered yet

Oh that's right... Of course.. My bad.
But in any case, he still didn't even get named in the top 100 players of all time list. It just seems like he is not rated as high by the media as what we know he should be.

I never really got the whole Sterlo love affair. He was good, but I don't think "Immortal" when I think of Sterlo.

I reckon Smell Mefinga should be given the honour at some point, and Lockyer is a definite future candidate. The others I'm not convinced have reached that level.

Crusher_Cleal said:
Out of interest, who do u guys think was the most TALENTED out of all those players?

Cant really comment with authority on Provan of course but out of the others I rate Johns as the most talented. Im capable of ignoring the hatred for him that some others have. He could control and turn a game like no other ive seen.

Johns is the best player i've seen.

But I havent seen most of those from back in the day so cant really compare.

Crusher_Cleal said:
Out of interest, who do u guys think was the most TALENTED out of all those players?

From the list at the top of this thread, or from the list of current immortals ?

Johns had the best all round game and could really do it all....kick, pass, run and tackle. Also had the game vision to make the most of those skills and the drive to win and mental toughness to succeed.

As far as current Immortals are concerned, whenever you hear Changas peers talk about him they talk in reverential terms and are in awe of his natural ability. Many say he was the best they ever played with. He was before my time so don't know.

It's all rubbish. There's no such thing as 'immortal', everyone dies sometime. Sounds very Greek to me. I thought Johns admitted his playing days were all drug addled. Surely that would rule him out. Can't have a deity admitting to a long lived felony.

Jatz Crackers said:
s I rate Johns as the most talented. Im capable of ignoring the hatred for him that some others have. He could control and turn a game like no other ive seen.

Do you think he played better when he was peaking or on the come down?

Fulton and Beetson both dominated games more than anyone I've seen since.

johns for my mind.

Though I also wouldn't mind if he waited a bit longer.

Don't know enough about the old guys to say if they deserved it or not.

Meninga never, after his "what has league ever done for me " comment.

Looking at the list statistics will play a part as well as the times NSW and Australia were represented. Premiership success would also be a factor. Hard choice!

good thread-why is it that these types of threads get hijacked by dickheads.
I say Provan, Lockyer, Johns, Langer, Coote

Jatz Crackers said:
quinny said:
good thread-why is it that these types of threads get hijacked by dickheads.

There are plenty of other threads for you.

Well done QC-Always taking potshots pea heart. Maybe you could respond with something sensible...or maybe not. Back to the fridge mate :)))

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4