The changing language of rugby league

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
Each era the sport seems to sprout new words to describe aspects of play.
Up-and-unders became 'bombs'.
Dying with the ball became 'Hit-ups'
The 25-yard line became 'the red zone'
A tackle became 'a hit'
Defence became 'D'
Knock-backs became non existent
and who knows why 'Inside shoulder' and 'Outside shoulder' ever became part of the RL lexicon?

So, I need your explanation for a phrase that keeps coming from the mouths of players, coaches and commentators...
What and where is the 'Middle Third' of a football ground? Apparently this is where teams like to attack from.
Now, I understand where the middle of the football ground is. It's where the ball is kicked off from. But where is that mysterious 'third' of which I hear them speak? Is the ground divided by longitude or latitude?
Regardless, isn't the word 'third' superfluous? Doesn't the single word 'middle' adequately describe the area of the field?
All correspondence will be greatly appreciated.

A tackle became 'a hit'
Defence became 'D'
and who knows why 'Inside shoulder' and 'Outside shoulder' ever became part of the RL lexicon?

So, I need your explanation for a phrase that keeps coming from the mouths of players, coaches and commentators...
What and where is the 'Middle Third' of a football ground? Apparently this is where teams like to attack from.
Now, I understand where the middle of the football ground is. It's where the ball is kicked off from. But where is that mysterious 'third' of which I hear them speak? Is the ground divided by longitude or latitude?
Regardless, isn't the word 'third' superfluous? Doesn't the single word 'middle' adequately describe the area of the field?
Last of all Resilience became the Manly Sea eagles

Split the ground into 3 corridors running longitudinally.

You then have left edge, middle third and right edge.

Hence the evolution of middle forwards and edge forwards. Hence the evolution of left and right centres and never the twain shall meet

Middle third is where all the arm wrestle happens where you have to "earn the right" to attack the edges if you are really up on your lingo.

Of course teams can invite you into their red zone to have an attack. I've often wanted to start a line of NRL based invitation cards, every player could have one in his sock and hand it out after an error - "you are invited to attack us - RSVP within next 20 secs"

Props and locks are middle forwards and second rowers take an edge each.

Of course teams can invite you into their red zone to have an attack. I've often wanted to start a line of NRL based invitation cards, every player could have one in his sock and hand it out after an error - "you are invited to attack us - RSVP within next 20 secs"
And another card for when you are leading but keep dropping the ball. "You are cordially invited back into the game (no need to rsvp)"

Just imagine 2 lines running length wise either side of the goal posts. The field is 70 metres wide. These lines would be 23.3 metres in from he side line. You end up with 2 edges & a middle.

A tackle became 'a hit'
Defence became 'D'

I think it started when the game lost its shepherds

Imagine in the seventies if a commentator described the up and under as going the aerial route.
Surely someone would have asked if he had at least purchased them a drink
Rex wouldnt have had it

There's also a lot of Victorians filing sports stories. I saw one yesterday that called a Kyle Feldt try 'taking a speccie'. Which is dumb 'cos in AFL you don't actually have to keep hold of the ball in a 'speccie' to be awarded a mark and certainly don't have to go on to ground the ball for a try.

But as we all know until league players started seeing AFL in the 1990s, none of them knew how to catch or kick a football apparently.

And if I see or hear 'best on ground' from anyone in relation to rugby league I will spew.

Wasn’t as complicated in my day... I had a handful of simple rules..
1) Hold the ball
2) Run hard
3) Smash anyone in the opposition colours
4) You can’t run without legs... or a head
5) Start a fight if you’re losing
6) Wingers aren’t really footballers ;)
Classic Bush footy story , my old home town Moree was playing West Tamworth in the group 5 GF. Not sure of the year but Ewan McGrady had won his Rothmans Medal and was back playing for Moree, so I’m guessing about 97/98.

McGrady had done **** all, and at half time Moree was behind 32-8, it was looking like a whitewash.

My good mates son was a key player in the side and as he ran out for the second half he stopped for a quick good luck from his Dad ( who then returned to his seat and said “‘hang on to your hat”).

They’d been baiting the Tamworth Captain and in the first scum it absolutely erupted, a full on brawl pretty much 13 on 13 ensued but the ref reckoned Tamworth started it and sent their captain and best player for 10 in the bin.

Ewan McGrady then came to life and set up or scored 8 tries in the next 30 minutes to see Moree win 54-32.

The West Tamworth crowd and team were in abject bewilderment at what had happened so quickly.

A great day of Bush footy!!

Classic Bush footy story , my old home town Moree was playing West Tamworth in the group 5 GF. Not sure of the year but Ewan McGrady had won his Rothmans Medal and was back playing for Moree, so I’m guessing about 97/98.

McGrady had done **** all, and at half time Moree was behind 32-8, it was looking like a whitewash.

My good mates son was a key player in the side and as he ran out for the second half he stopped for a quick good luck from his Dad ( who then returned to his seat and said “‘hang on to your hat”).

They’d been baiting the Tamworth Captain and in the first scum it absolutely erupted, a full on brawl pretty much 13 on 13 ensued but the ref reckoned Tamworth started it and sent their captain and best player for 10 in the bin.

Ewan McGrady then came to life and set up or scored 8 tries in the next 30 minutes to see Moree win 54-32.

The West Tamworth crowd and team were in abject bewilderment at what had happened so quickly.

A great day of Bush footy!!
It’s not a great game of bush footy unless there’s a proper stink involved!

It’s not a great game of bush footy unless there’s a proper stink involved!
Yes I’ve seen some rippers but this one was the best , started in the forwards and then all 13 PLUS the bench ran on and everyone was throwing haymakers .

It took 10 minutes to sort it out, and Wests were never the same after it!!

The Fox panel keep cracking jokes about Matt Dufty's "arousement level" which seems to be in reference to a recent magazine interview he gave.

Yes I’ve seen some rippers but this one was the best , started in the forwards and then all 13 PLUS the bench ran on and everyone was throwing haymakers .

It took 10 minutes to sort it out, and Wests were never the same after it!!
Mate I’ve been held by spectators whilst two forwards teed off on me playing out at Mullumbimby... that one went in the book as an “honourable loss” lol

Split the ground into 3 corridors running longitudinally.

You then have left edge, middle third and right edge.

Hence the evolution of middle forwards and edge forwards. Hence the evolution of left and right centres and never the twain shall meet

Middle third is where all the arm wrestle happens where you have to "earn the right" to attack the edges if you are really up on your lingo.
Thank you.
But isn't 'middle third' the same as mid-field?
That's my conundrum. Why do we need the word 'third'?

Thank you.
But isn't 'middle third' the same as mid-field?
That's my conundrum. Why do we need the word 'third'?

I thought mid-field meant the area around the half way line whereas a middle third runs the whole length of the field.

?

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10