The future of NRL clubs in Sydney

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Unfortunately, while we are not the only club that has had some poor attendances over the last few years, we will suffer worse than anyone else as a result of the move away from suburban footy.

We have a small number of die hards who try to get to lots of games but in my experience most Manly fans just can't be stuffed.

If we do have to leave brookie, many of those claiming they aren't going anymore because it's not at brookie will be the same people who didn't go now because it was too wet/cold/nice/late or because its Monday or Friday or because the pies are too cold or the beers arent cold enough or the tickets cost too much.

I don't like it but I feel like as a supporter group we will be far from blameless.
SFS is going to be rebuilt so it will be first rate.
They're also building a tram line from Circular Quay to the front door of SFS.
Id prefer us to stay at a 'modern' Brookvale, but the SFS experience and how to get there will be different in the future.
The other option is take Abbotts money, get some private investment and fans donate to build a new Brookie.

take the last option.

What is it that Brookvale desperately needs? A stand on part of the hill or scoreboard end is achievable and not sure how much that would cost. Upgrade the existing facilities and bobs yer uncle. Even if the Jane Try stand were knocked down and rebuilt would that cost the figures being thrown around ?

This identical debate was held in Melbourne 20 years or so ago when the AFL had the docklands stadium built for the purpose of AFL, There was fierce opposition from fans and members about their clubs giving up their home grounds for this. Back then the top Melbourne clubs played their derby games at the MCG and played their other games at their home grounds. The change worked in Melbourne because most of the Melbourne teams were all based within 10ks of the city except Geelong so playing games at Docklands was not so bad.

For the NRL the issue for the fans is this. Over half the teams in Sydney are based 20ks plus from the CBD, Homebush and Parramatta so for the fans to get to games it is difficcult, getting to the Docklands stadium in Melbourne is easy as it is on the other side of the Melbourne CBD we do not have that here.

I want Manly to stay at Brookvale but I fear that our tenure there will be taken off us in the long term.

I would like to see a balance where possibly we play up to 8 games at Brooky and take the remaining games to venues where the club can make some money. Time will tell but I am not sure how much longer we keep playing at Brookvale.

Nailed it.

we could all play out of the SFS/Homebush if we were the 1908 teams - Roosters, Souths, Newtown, Sydney Uni, Glebe, West Ashfield, Balmain even the dogs.

It has been well documented that the NRL wants all Sydney clubs to be playing in two stadiums, like what is happening with the AFL in Melbourne, but I think they have realised that that can't work in Sydney so they have planned for all Sydney teams to play in three stadiums. With the recent announcement of the NSW government stadium plans, Parramatta Stadium will be rebuilt into a brand new 30,000 seat stadium. I would think the NRL would get the Tigers and Panthers to play their games their along with the Eels. Next up is the construction of a new 50-55,000 seat stadium at SFS which I would think the NRL would want the Manly and Sharks to play there along with the Roosters. This leaves an upgraded stadium at Homebush (with a rectangular ground) to be home to the Bulldogs, Souths and Dragons, as it currently is. This is how I would think the NRL will get it all of its Sydney teams to play in three stadiums. I don't agree with this plan as it will destroy the concept of home and away games, but there's not much that we can do about it.
Its our sport, it belongs to the fans, so there is a lot we can do about it. It's just a question if people could be bothered.

No compromise. You then have to ask yourself just what it is you are doing here.
Do you watch, follow or support your club? What do those words mean? What is it about my club that I am a fan/supporter/follower of?

It's Manly Warringah Sea Eagles from Brookvale Oval in Maroon and White. That is not negotiable. That is my club.
100% agree, so the only thing that separates us from east or cronulla is the fact that we train on the northern beaches???? we are just the sea eagles then, not the manly sea eagles.

Josh Massoud was on ABC offsiders this morning defending suburban grounds saying the big stadium idea cant work in Sydney due to the poor traffic and lack of decent public transport. Melbourne has a good system that makes it realistic for fans to get to games.

Its our sport, it belongs to the fans, so there is a lot we can do about it. It's just a question if people could be bothered.
Yep people need to speak out. When the fans start saying it's inevitable we are gonna move it's self fulfilling and it probably will happen.
Turn up to Brookie for a start - which people do and haven't looked up the stats but comparing attendances I'd guess we are not too bad. Had a dip in form, generation of players leaving and crap off field. It will turn.
If half the crowd are happy to be on the Hill I don't understand the problem. We've been consistent. You look at old Souths at Redfern and the crowds were small. If the club isn't maladministered I can't see the problem. Dunno the history of what happened at Newtown or Wests but I'd guess the club's weren't well run.

Last edited:
from Wikipedia..

Brookvale Oval is a sporting ground located within Brookvale Park at Brookvale, New South Wales, Australia. The ground is owned by Warringah Council and is primarily used by the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles rugby league team. Brookvale Oval has an approximate capacity of 23,000 people.

As of July 2012, Brookvale Oval is the 2nd most played-on Australian professional
rugby league ground in active use in the National Rugby League, having hosted 663 first grade games since Manly first played there in their inaugural game against Western Suburbs (now the Wests Tigers) in 1947 (only Leichhardt Oval with 794 games starting in 1934 has been used more).[1]

It ****ts me big time. if we were out west we would get a new stadium. On the norhtern beaches we get jack sheite form the governments. Take our new Hospital in Frenches Forrest... they will be closing Manly hospital & downgrading Mona Vale. It's a private hospital FFS.. yes they will take public patients but after two years all the staff are on private hospital contracts... Government does jack sheite for us here except take our taxes & spend it elsewhere..

Jerry1 - Looks as if Manly and Mona Vale hospitals have been run into the ground to justify a new hospital in a location that has serious transport and bottle neck issues. I wonder when Warringah Road will be modified to cope with this.... wonder why they'd want the sites at Manly and Mona Vale free of a public service. the helicopter lady has served the community well ! ha ha

in todays tele sloth field is reporting that the panthers will have their stadium demolished and get a new '30000 seat world class venue' after the other grounds are completed

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2