The game is a different beast

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
wedgetail eagle said:
Riddle me this.
How does this 7 tackle thing work?

Effectively the first tackle doesn't count ( ie zero tackle ) it was brought in to stop teams kicking it dead on purpose from 30-40m out to nullify a counter attack from fullbacks/wingers in broken play. They'd then gain an advantage in field position by having a set defensive line against the obligatory three hit-ups.

So I'd say we're likely to see less grubbers and more bombs as a result.

Technical Coach said:
Thanks to Telstra i can no longer watch every Manly game on video, still have not viewed the Melb performance yet.

So the above is not technical enough for you?

I was trying to turn over a new leaf redefine my online character stay away from over analysis and be a fan with face paint chanting "Manly clap clap clap" or am i missing a clap somewhere, being a fan is way too technical for me.
g'day all,TC nice to see your back from holiday and i asked in another thread if you could enlighten the rest of us in the logic or reasoning behind only using three of the bench instead of four.In regard of rule changes why is it that every rule change is to try and increase the pace of the game.To me if you are constantly nit picking the defence why not nit pick the attack the same way and make them play the ball properly and not walking off the mark etc as rules are there too.Id also like to see them get rid of the stripping rule and i might sound like a dinosaur but when i played first bloke low second over the top if required locking up the ball because you had to protect the ball no wrestling needed.
cheers mike

StuBoot said:
wedgetail eagle said:
Riddle me this.
How does this 7 tackle thing work?

Effectively the first tackle doesn't count ( ie zero tackle ) it was brought in to stop teams kicking it dead on purpose from 30-40m out to nullify a counter attack from fullbacks/wingers in broken play. They'd then gain an advantage in field position by having a set defensive line against the obligatory three hit-ups.

So I'd say we're likely to see less grubbers and more bombs as a result.
Cool. Thanks Stuboot, cheers.

Brissie Kid said:
The 4-0 Roosters/Manly semi final that enthralled all real rugby league fans was obviously totally unacceptable to the NRL.

Instead welcome to Touch NRL Season #1.

Teams like Manly built around genuine footballers creating a way through a defence like DCE, Foran, Snake, Lyon & Gift is stuffed. Now its be the fittest, don't risk too many passes or drop the ball, and then you will get all the penalties and can have your way against an opposing side who are going backwards, out on their feet and with holes everywhere.

Benji left a season too soon.

If this rubbish form of RL becomes the norm I'm out of here. I already only watch Manly games so, if you're listening Toddy, it won't take much to push me over the edge.

Great post. Name me one person who didn't say about that 4-0 game that it was one of the best games of the last decade? Not just Roosters fans, even us as Manly fans and the general rugby league community.

Now I like the fact that these days the players are very athletic, but I don't want to watch football played by pure athletes. Give me footballers with fitness every day of the week. And those names mentioned Killer, Snake etc....they are footballers, obviously very fit which is great. But they have football brains. If I wanted to watch pure athletes I'll watch the Olympics.

Don't worry people - there are 16 NRL coaches and support staff at this very moment working out new, innovative ways to slow down the play the ball. Give them a few weeks and we will be back to the style of rugby league we love :)

susan said:
Just watch how many tries this year are scored by big speedy back rowers from close range as tired defenders retreat. Frizelle cored a couple yesterday that wouldn't have even been on his radar last year.Choc is taylor made for this if we work it out and play smart.There is no excuse at all this year for our crabbing problems in the red zone that we had at times last year,.Play straight off Foran in particular and punch hard at he edges with Choc,Red and Horo.

Brissie.I agree mate.Im not saying its good,I hate it.Just saying that we need to adapt or die.The simple fact is if we play the same 17 with the same rotation and the same tactics as last year we will not make the eight.

I'm a lover of the direction there going. I've been a bit of a fan of Frizelle's for a while (reminds me of a young Brent Kite). It used to frustrate me seeing a genuine talent snuffed out in three-men gang tackles, putting the proverbial wet blanket over anything remotely exciting. JT's try off the tap was a great example of the little quick blokes being able to utilize their smarts without having to wait for a wall of behemoths to get set in defence and slaughter them.
I'm still an advocate of dropping the interchanges by two. 8/4.
Blokes like Buhrer, Hasson, and Choc would really benefit IMO.

It will be interesting to watch how it unfolds. Manly is well placed in terms of roster, the only thing we lack is experience up front, but if the game becomes a dummy-half-or-one-off-the-ruck-a-thon that shouldn't bother us too much. Brilliant backs that can take advantage of space in the twinkling of an eye might land us this year's comp!

Thought people might find these stats interesting reading from Brian Smith's site using NRL Stats on the first round in relation to speed of the game.

http://www.smithyspeaks.com.au/fast-its-all-relative/

A bit early to predict the style of play for this year going off Round 1.
Let's see what is happening in round 6.
Though I am far from being a technical coach of sorts it does seem evident that we have have gearing up for a faster game over the last couple of years re- younger, faster, lighter forward pack.

Have not really looked at the interchange in any great detail but here are some quick thoughts---(I'm sure there are some other more technical reasons and if i get the time i might look into it further)

1) Feels the rotation size and mix of the three players being used is enough and using four is just getting to a point of diminishing returns on top of too much change/disruption in the line up during the game.

2) Could be saving changes for the final 1/4 but then finds the size/type of player required for this period be it defence or attack does not line up with his bench due to change of rotation plans during the game.

3) One of the interchange is really only for injuries or to blood a player and the coach does not have full confidence in him for long periods. Another reason if they are injecting spark around dummy half as the extra option but does not require it during the game.

Taking Ballin off and adding spark when games are tight more often than not will not happen as most coaches are conservative and want players who can defend in a tight game.

Clinical crisp organized distribution from the ruck may go out the door leading to more errors if the change is made. Ballin might be tired but a fresh set of legs does not mean it will cause less errors and overall fatigue of the team might actually increase due to more errors.

4) Might be playing a mental game with his troops---some players might put their hand up way before emptying the tank taking advantage of the 4 interchanges causing more disruption. When the players/forwards know that the pattern is only 3 players being used they have to toughen up and suck it in but obviously there is a risk missing real fatigue.

5) Arrogance lol

6) Playing games with the opposition interchange and trying to change their interchange timing.

I still think Toovey and Hasler way too often have not read the fatigue levels all that well and may have cost us some games.

People will say yeah we have won GF's in that time so they must be more often right than wrong but it is not about games won it is about what games have resulted in a loss due to bad interchanges or made a game way more tight than it may have been.

In the end it is gut feel i would not hold it against any coach to be honest if it appears they made the wrong decision. More often than not games are won by the teams performance beyond using the extra interchange, if it comes down to interchange timing and the amount of usage to win games i would be looking at the teams structures style and performance before the interchange issues.

Technical Coach said:
Thought people might find these stats interesting reading from Brian Smith's site using NRL Stats on the first round in relation to speed of the game.

http://www.smithyspeaks.com.au/fast-its-all-relative/

The ZERO tackle for 20m tap restarts after balls go dead in goal worked well not only in speeding up the game but also in changing the boring kick for repeat set mentality that most teams have used ad nauseum (not premiership winning Roosters who chose to attack for immediate tries so successfully last season). This perhaps led to more enterprising play rather than negative stuff but it most definitely led to more handovers or possession errors not requiring a goalline drop out with 40 second delays everytime.

With a tonne of forward passes thrown in. Looks like Politis is looking after Smith in retirement.:s

What is wrong with a forward pass, all he is saying is that the Roosters backed themselves more often than other teams and that repeat sets is not always the best option for some clubs.

Brian has in past articles mentioned how Manly is willing to risk more in their set of six to test the line with variations and skill--- backing themselves due to the overall skill of the squad, we are not put off with errors and continue to back ourselves.

Manly accept there will be errors in our game and if it is within reasonable limits are happy to push the line/boundaries a little with enterprising play.

Basically in his articles he mentions improved skill level and variation in attack can handle a little extra errors, he is not saying all clubs should do this but certain teams can due to the overall skill level and trained variations.

Smithy is his own man the Politis comment has no substance whatsoever he could care less what people think of him.

Its a young mans game, a fast mans game & a fit man game these days.
No room for the sick & the lame. Maybe room for one fat 10 minute impact player but not for more.

Quite a few will be retiring come the end of the season & the infirmed will have to be left behind.

Back to my beer, hot dog & complaining about my torn rotator cuff. Must lose some weight too.

Technical Coach said:
What is wrong with a forward pass, all he is saying is that the Roosters backed themselves more often than other teams and that repeat sets is not always the best option for some clubs.

Brian has in past articles mentioned how Manly is willing to risk more in their set of six to test the line with variations and skill--- backing themselves due to the overall skill of the squad, we are not put off with errors and continue to back ourselves.

Manly accept there will be errors in our game and if it is within reasonable limits are happy to push the line/boundaries a little with enterprising play.

Basically in his articles he mentions improved skill level and variation in attack can handle a little extra errors, he is not saying all clubs should do this but certain teams can due to the overall skill level and trained variations.

Smithy is his own man the Politis comment has no substance whatsoever he could care less what people think of him.

I always felt a bit sorry for Brian Smith. In 2001 he made a point of appearing on the Footy Show regularly to present a calm exterior in the lead up the the Grand Final as coach of Parramatta . He had every contingency plan in place (like Rod Reddy to fill in as coach for an end of season match in case of an emergency) , but the players got stage fright in the first half and it was all over.Then in 2010 Channel 9 made a point of contrasting the frantic white board pointing of Smith at half time of the grand final with the calm Bennett chatting casually to Fien and Soward . The media really jumped on this to criticise Smith's approach.

If you want to see how quick the game is gunna become. Watch the high lights of the nsw cup games from last weekend. Only getting the highlights adds to the perception no doubt but it so close to touch footy. So many try's from 2 or 3 dummy half runs in a row. I'm all for innovation. Ballin, Hodges and Buhrer all darting out of dummy. Big burgess boys wouldn't keep up this weekend.

Sounds like Super League all over again with the dummy half running at a retreating defensive line before Kerrod Walters does a celebratory chook dance after diving over. Laurie Daly will be telling everyone who wants to listen how fast the game is going to be and John Ribot will be photographed punching the air in mock excitement. ET will again become a household name in Asia (as well as Paul Mellor's house).

Technical Coach said:

You're not really that anal in real life are you TC?
You know most of my stuff is a gee-up.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4