The Guthersation

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

globaleagle

01100111 01100101
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Finally gotta ask, is Des a bit deaf or is he just using that tactic in all his pressers to give him time to formulate an answer?
Alternatively, is he like my Dad used to be, using apparent deafness when he just didn’t want to do what Mum asked?

Def a tactic.

Definitely as in that's what I reckon.

Ranga

Bencher
Tipping Member
Interesting that Nikorima has landed a $500k pa contract at the Warriors. Good on him. Makes Gutho at $600-$700k pa look like good value for any number of clubs and just highlights how much Parra tried to lowball him to begin with.

(I get that Nikorima is a NZ rep player, but I’ve just never really seen him play particularly well consistently. So, I don’t rate him.)

yokahontas

Bencher
@yokahontas and @sean john ... hear what you are saying about right centre ... it sounds reasonable but I call total BS on it ... just about 115 out of every 100 fullbacks and halfs prefer to attack on the left ..... Ingliss and even Snake almost never went right ..... Noodles will likely have the exact same problem whereever he goes ....

Except Manly ... Turbo is one of the few fullbacks who likes left, right and the middle ... and DCE prefers the right ...

True, most sides do have a dominant side they prefer in attack, but - and this is the point that I’ve seen being made about Drugcastle - most also at least have an option to get the ball to the other side if they’re being stifled. Cronulla were able to do it, hence Ramien had a bit of a breakout season there last year. I reckon the main reason Drugcastle are bottom of the table again is that they have Pearce/Ponga (mainly Ponga, TBH) and if you remove that option they don’t have a Plan B. It’s like watching u/6s, where you just chuck it to the big kid/fast kid, and hope for the best!

It’s the same thing that’s hurt us in recent years where every opposition side knew it was DCE/Turbo, or nothing.

FWIW, I’m not a fan of the ‘corridors’ they restrict players to in the modern game, one of the negative effects of that is kids coming through who can only play 1/3 of the field width and they’re lost outside of it.

Last edited:

Disco

First Grader
Premium Member
Do not write off Croker at 5/8 .... this kid has only played about 12 games over the past 3 seasons ... normally a players most formative years ....... and still comes out in a pressure match and goes MOM ......

This kid might be just as good as Foran .... if not better ......

... note I said might ... need to see a bit more of him but I have got that feeling in me water ......

Fainu was MOM on the weekend

I like Croker I do..........but I can't see him having a career anywhere near as decorated as Foran, just my opinion

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
Fainu was MOM on the weekend

I like Croker I do..........but I can't see him having a career anywhere near as decorated as Foran, just my opinion

Don't you start ... the last thing I need is facts ..

However, I do need to say that there are at least 5 diffrent MOM's per game .... depending whether you are watching Fox ... Nein .. Dally M's etc ... I thought I heard somewhere Croker got one of them ...

.. And I am also not sure of him reaching Foranesque levels .... just looks like a tough kid with skills and determination ... a very good combination to have ...

Ranga

Bencher
Tipping Member
Don't you start ... the last thing I need is facts ..

However, I do need to say that there are at least 5 diffrent MOM's per game .... depending whether you are watching Fox ... Nein .. Dally M's etc ... I thought I heard somewhere Croker got one of them ...

.. And I am also not sure of him reaching Foranesque levels .... just looks like a tough kid with skills and determination ... a very good combination to have ...
It’s ok, Woodsie, you’re allowed to choose your own MOM.

Who knows how Croker will turn out but one thing is for sure is that he is as resilient as anyone. I scoffed when he was retained last year, but upon reflection, it is not the worst idea having someone with his dedication, drive and belief around the squad pushing others.

Jigzkiller

Bencher
This will not be happening and that is a good thing. I like Gutho but non rep players should not be getting 650-750k (from us that is) we have Tom and Jake coming off contract next season and others we would like to extend so at his asking price it's a pass.I do see us signing some players but not at that price, I can't see us keeping both hookers on the money they will command so 1 will have to go.Thompson also likely to leave so we will no doubt be in the market but Gutho is an extravagance we shouldn't indulge in.

Tragic Eagle

Tragic
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I like Gutho would love him back. In the past I have stated on this forum I didn’t believe young Croker was a genuine long term first grader. My view has now changed. It wasn’t just one performance on Sunday but a performance after a history of significant adversity and the way the game unfolded with Wighton making him look silly in defence early in the game. Many would have dropped their heads and their bundle after that. He not only regrouped but when the skipper went down he stepped with the ball and in defence. He backs up like Terry Lamb. I see real star quality in this kid provided the injury gods are king to him.

XV-1

First Grader
This will not be happening and that is a good thing. I like Gutho but non rep players should not be getting 650-750k (from us that is) we have Tom and Jake coming off contract next season and others we would like to extend so at his asking price it's a pass.I do see us signing some players but not at that price, I can't see us keeping both hookers on the money they will command so 1 will have to go.Thompson also likely to leave so we will no doubt be in the market but Gutho is an extravagance we shouldn't indulge in.

Des knows what he is doing. We can afford them all. He calls them back ended contracts :D

Des is very clever in his interview with his choice of words regarding interest in Gutherson. He has obviously anticipated the questions and prepared his responses.

"Haven't spoken to Gutherson per se" means that he hasn't spoken directly with Gutherson but with Gutherson's manager.

"At this stage ... it's just not feasible." Means that as we speak we are not in position to sign Gutherson but we are working on moving on some players to make this possible.

So for me it is more indicative that there is a lot going on in the background to secure his signature.

Terry Zarsoff

First Grader
Des is very clever in his interview with his choice of words regarding interest in Gutherson. He has obviously anticipated the questions and prepared his responses.

"Haven't spoken to Gutherson per se" means that he hasn't spoken directly with Gutherson but with Gutherson's manager.

"At this stage ... it's just not feasible." Means that as we speak we are not in position to sign Gutherson but we are working on moving on some players to make this possible.

So for me it is more indicative that there is a lot going on in the background to secure his signature.
Yes that is correct.

Des has spoken at length with a gentleman representing a fellow who uses the alias Gunton Clitherson.

This Clitherson chap should not be confused with anyone called Clinton Gutherson.

Heisenberg

Reserve Grader

Nailed it mate. That's what I get from Des. Clints coming home.

Cameron

Make Manly Great Again #Hasler2019
I might get bashed for this bad anyone thought we may use gutho at fullback and Tom in the centres. Tom is an international Centre just throwing it out.

Gutho is a great player and getting him back is the right thing. He should never have left imo

eaglebuzz

Bencher
I might get bashed for this bad anyone thought we may use gutho at fullback and Tom in the centres. Tom is an international Centre just throwing it out.

Gutho is a great player and getting him back is the right thing. He should never have left imo
I actually think we could be a stronger side if we did this, but Turbo would be too expensive to keep on the books as a centre.

manlyfan76

There is no A.I. Just better computers

Tom would be good at centre but he is great at fb and following up through the middle.

brad

First Grader

It would work mate and that's where I'd play Tom, but he's a champion 1 and can't see the move.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member

No doubt Tom would be a World class centre....thing is, he can attack Anywhere on the field from FB to maximise his Attack.
Tom also looks more confident that he is the man and in limited game time in 2019, he looks better positionally and a tougher edge....is it the influence of the Snakes inside advice with a dash of Des sauce??

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
13 10 3 97 24
14 10 4 78 22
13 9 4 110 20
13 8 5 66 20
14 8 6 143 18
13 7 6 81 18
13 7 6 -55 18
14 7 7 37 16
15 8 7 -8 16
13 7 6 -34 16