The Kieran Forum

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

How long will Foran last?

• 1 month

Votes: 10 13.5%
  • 2months

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • 3months

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • 4months

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • 5months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6months

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Has the best season since 2011

Votes: 42 56.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Darren

Bencher
I cannot understand the cap problem with us. Yes we have 3 players who are taking up most of the cap and we have re signed some of our young guns. We are losing players at years end but we are still under cap pressure. We havent signed any big names since walker and Tapou, only fringe players, but we are still under cap pressure. What I fear most is if we will ever be in a position to go for any marque players again in the future. We have let more players go in the last decade than any other club but havent replaced them with anyone with any quality but we are still under cap pressure. Something is wrong somewhere. It doesnt make any sense
Agree Rob, Foran, Harps, Saab, Garrick, Parker, Tippy, Koula, Ben T would be average wages 250k-300?? maximum which is literally our whole backline. No way those guys are 450k!! I don't get it either. Unless we have paid silly money to keep Schuster?? Josh A would be on big dough and Marty (sadly)

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
For those who find our salary cap baffling...
For example, next year it is widely believed that DCE Tom & Jake take about 3.2m.
We have approximately 12 other players who with upgrades would be on somewhere between 300 and 600k. Say for arguments sake, average of 400k each (Aloiai, Garrick, Parker, Haumole, Schu, Paseka, Keppie, Bullemor, Tuilagi, Croker, Saab, Tuipulotu)
That leaves an average of barely 105k for the remaining 15 members of the 30 man squad!!

Which is consistent with what the RLPA reported in February, that almost half of all contracted NRL players earn $150,000 or less.

Bottom line is we have very little wiggle room. Obviously we'd be better off if Turbo played more games and Jake and DCE were on lower contracts, but on balance I think we're actually doing a very good job bringing through young talent to play around our stars. Of course as the young talent proves their mettle their price goes up accordingly.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
For those who find our salary cap baffling...
For example, next year it is widely beleived that DCE Tom & Jake take about 3.2m.
We have approximately 12 other players who with upgrades would be on somewhere between 600 and 300k. Say for arguments sake, average of 400k each (Aloiai, Garrick, Parker, Haumole, Schu, Paseka, Keppie, Bullemor, Tuilagi, Croker, Saab, Tuipulotu)
That leaves an average of barely 105k for the remaining 15 members of the 30 man squad!!

Which is consistent with what the RLPA reported in February, that almost half of all contracted NRL players earn $150,000 or less.

Bottom line is we have very little wiggle room. Obviously we'd be better off if Turbo played more games and Jake and DCE were on lower contracts, but on balance I think we're actually doing a very good job bringing through young talent to play around our stars. Of course as the young talent proves their mettle their price goes up accordingly.
Most teams build around 2-3 star players ( doesn’t mean every team has superstars but you get what I mean).

I think you are pretty right with your summation.

And don’t forget we have Tuilagi coming next year , no superstar but certainly on the rise.

KaZa

Bencher
Someone like Garrick wouldn't have been on much before last season. Then his manager would have fielded big offers from other clubs so we have to match or upgrade it. Do it for a 10-12 players it adds up.

A few players may be on back ended deals or Marty is on 850k this year but was much less last year.

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
tom gets a rough trot for being injured

he plays fullback, halfback, rums from dummy half, takes runs at first receiver like a prop, is mostly our only chaser.after his work he pads the stats of our wingers with tries, our halfback with try assists, the dude is working over time to drag our team around the park. plenty of others could step up and say NO, i got this but they just dont. injuries occur in lots of situations but ball players cop a flogging and those that try to slide through gaps seem to get a lot of lower leg issues. there is a direct correlation between injury and those that go hard and those that dont. risk v reward. time to share the risk more

someone called marty a hand brake the other day as he pulls up before impact.....same ****

if we had a game plan that didnt rely on him so much we might get more games out of him

really hard markers

tom should also be the highest paid player in our team on results

Last edited:

Fibro Eagle

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I don’t think Foran is being let go cause of cap pressure ,if he does go it’s cause he is getting another 2 years in the NRL if he stayed at Manly he probably gets limited minutes for another year at Manly
Des would have had a conversation with Foz going through the plus and minuses with him no doubt in the end it will be what’s best for Foz and Manly

Budgie

In for the long haul.
2016 Tipping Competitor
Tipping Member
I don’t buy the rubbish I’m reading. Every club every year is managing their salary cap and it’s a tough job. The other day is was the dogs, the next riff, and now us. Yawn.
Dogs and Penrith make sense though.

manly al

First Grader
Wonder if Manly are making some provision for Manase "s possible return , got the impression that he is not included in Manly 's current cap but could be wrong . As good as he is going now , could only assume that Manly would only offer Foz a contract for one more year and with a club option like his recent deal . Then of course another club offering more money for a couple of set seasons an obvious factor ,Would consider foz to be worth at least 300 - 350 k ongoing for Manly but again just for one more season and maybe a possible extension option . Foz is a great competitor however and sure that he will put in for Manly for the remainder of this season irrespective of his club affiliation next season . Then Latu Fainu can be not that far off to be at least considered for i st grade level , then the never ending Schuster for 6 conjecture Can see upgrades for a few of the other Manly younger brigade as well so not a lot of spare cap money available for new signings and plenty of talent and ability on the club books with the existing squad .

manly al

First Grader
can 't underestimate Weekes to develop into a good 6 as well . Seems to like a bit of room to move and a natural fit as a full back but a lot of natural ability and speed and footy sense so no reason why again he could not be a capable 6 . Should be able to manage O K in defence as time moves on , still see him in the Niko Hynes mould and would certainly not like to see him move on . Maybe Latu Fainu could play as a 7 post D C E . Josh Schuster will ideally be a Manly long termer and the future 6 can only be speculation at this stage but again really would like Weekes to be in the 6 frame as well .

Terry Zarsoff

First Grader
I cannot understand the cap problem with us. Yes we have 3 players who are taking up most of the cap and we have re signed some of our young guns. We are losing players at years end but we are still under cap pressure. We havent signed any big names since walker and Tapou, only fringe players, but we are still under cap pressure. What I fear most is if we will ever be in a position to go for any marque players again in the future. We have let more players go in the last decade than any other club but havent replaced them with anyone with any quality but we are still under cap pressure. Something is wrong somewhere. It doesnt make any sense
The people saying the club is under cap pressure are the likes of Dan Weidler (an old Yiddish name that roughly translates into English as ‘loathsome sh-tstirrer’).

Until you hear something official, why speculate about online ‘night and fog’?

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
13 10 3 97 24
14 10 4 78 22
13 9 4 110 20
13 8 5 66 20
14 8 6 143 18
13 7 6 81 18
13 7 6 -55 18
14 7 7 37 16
15 8 7 -8 16
13 7 6 -34 16