The King and the Fool

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
No excuses next season. Barrett will have a farking LOADED squad (especially if they get Pearce):

01. Josh Addo-Carr
02. Corey Allan
03. Brent Naden
04. Nick Cotric
05. Jayden Okunbor
06. Matt Burton
07. Mitchell Pearce
08. Luke Thompson
10. Paul Vaughan
11. Tevita Pangai Junior
12. Jack Hetherington
13. Josh Jackson

14. Matt Dufty
15. Dylan Napa
17. Adam Elliott

type of deal (fill in the blanks). There's a whole lot of mongrel there, so I see them being screwed suspension wise (both on and off the field). The other issue I honestly see is the laziness Ferris will instill in them.
and what?, 100 % of them bought not bred !!

No excuses next season. Barrett will have a farking LOADED squad (especially if they get Pearce):

01. Josh Addo-Carr
02. Corey Allan
03. Brent Naden
04. Nick Cotric
05. Jayden Okunbor
06. Matt Burton
07. Mitchell Pearce
08. Luke Thompson
10. Paul Vaughan
11. Tevita Pangai Junior
12. Jack Hetherington
13. Josh Jackson

14. Matt Dufty
15. Dylan Napa
17. Adam Elliott

type of deal (fill in the blanks). There's a whole lot of mongrel there, so I see them being screwed suspension wise (both on and off the field). The other issue I honestly see is the laziness Ferris will instill in them.
Biondo ODI should be their nine.

The biggest myth concerning Barrett is his lack of cattle. It's not true at all. Sure, he doesn't have the talent to challenge for a premiership but most punters had them scraping into the 8 this year. His roster is better than what Pay worked with and as good as sides like the Tigers and Cowboys who have shown spirit at times throughout the year and certainly avoided a raft of 'worst in history' records.

If he was coaching them well, they'd have competed and won more than they have this year, regardless of cattle. Good coaches make average players better. Barrett makes them worse. Look at Corey Allan and Kyle Flanagan as examples. They were great offseason signings that promised so much. Allan played SOO last year and Flanagan was deemed surplus due to Sam Walker's impending rise. Many compared him to the cool head of Nathan Cleary. Now look at him.

Honestly, Barrett should have done more this year.
Top 13 for both sides

Trbojevic-Meaney
Garrick-Cotric
Parker-Hopoate
Harper-Allan
Saab-Okunbor
Foran-Flanagan
DCE-Averillo
Paseka-Thompson
Croker(Fainu when available)-JMK
Taupau-Seumanufagai
Olakau'atu-Waddell
Schuster-Hetherington
Jake-Jackson

Can't see one Dogs player I would swap for one of ours(maybe Cotric...),overpaying for average players like Cotric and Allan means jack as they are just average wingers and nothing else,Hopoate has no speed and is just a tackler.Most people do not rate Flanangan and have said he only got a job because of his dad,Allan as a quality player is a myth,he is a solid winger who is a poor fullback(he got a SOO berth because Qld had minimal options,I suppose Brenko Lee is quality too).
The rule changes means guys who can play what they see and have some vision are crucial(particularly in the spine),having solid middle men and decent wingers mean nothing in the modern game,we have done well all year with continual injuries to our front row and having to scramble to put a front row together all year shows this...
Would Des have done any better than Barrett?It is just anyones' guess or opinion,nothing else.
I am not defending Trent(maybe his nickname should be changed to "rent-free" seeing as he seems to spend so much time for free in peoples' heads...)
I just don't believe anyone would have got that Dogs side playing well with such a **** spine,I think they have the highest set completion of all sides during the year and they have turned up and not given up the fight all year,so maybe that says something.They lack anyone with ability to pull the trigger when they get into attacking position.
I am not saying that Trent does not have a lot to answer for,but I seriously hope they don't pants us next year with some serious talent on the way(not the bog average players brought in this year in a panic that people want to try to make out are serious talents)
Once again I will state that I am not a fan or defending him,I am defending the myth that he has a talented roster to work with,obviously many disagree....

What I still don’t understand is with his appalling win/loss record how he still doesn’t get the bagging from the so call journos and experts. Can’t think of another coach who is treated so favourably

What I still don’t understand is with his appalling win/loss record how he still doesn’t get the bagging from the so call journos and experts. Can’t think of another coach who is treated so favourably
A Cat has 9 lives and Barrett has a few more pretentious potential head coaching seasons left before all his journo mates give up on his failures

I have no confidence for any head coach that takes a Tom Turbo charged team with the likes of , DCE , Jake , Walker , AFB , Paseka , Kappow , Fainu , Api to second last on the ladder .

Top 13 for both sides

Trbojevic-Meaney
Garrick-Cotric
Parker-Hopoate
Harper-Allan
Saab-Okunbor
Foran-Flanagan
DCE-Averillo
Paseka-Thompson
Croker(Fainu when available)-JMK
Taupau-Seumanufagai
Olakau'atu-Waddell
Schuster-Hetherington
Jake-Jackson

Can't see one Dogs player I would swap for one of ours(maybe Cotric...),overpaying for average players like Cotric and Allan means jack as they are just average wingers and nothing else,Hopoate has no speed and is just a tackler.Most people do not rate Flanangan and have said he only got a job because of his dad,Allan as a quality player is a myth,he is a solid winger who is a poor fullback(he got a SOO berth because Qld had minimal options,I suppose Brenko Lee is quality too).
The rule changes means guys who can play what they see and have some vision are crucial(particularly in the spine),having solid middle men and decent wingers mean nothing in the modern game,we have done well all year with continual injuries to our front row and having to scramble to put a front row together all year shows this...
Would Des have done any better than Barrett?It is just anyones' guess or opinion,nothing else.
I am not defending Trent(maybe his nickname should be changed to "rent-free" seeing as he seems to spend so much time for free in peoples' heads...)
I just don't believe anyone would have got that Dogs side playing well with such a **** spine,I think they have the highest set completion of all sides during the year and they have turned up and not given up the fight all year,so maybe that says something.They lack anyone with ability to pull the trigger when they get into attacking position.
I am not saying that Trent does not have a lot to answer for,but I seriously hope they don't pants us next year with some serious talent on the way(not the bog average players brought in this year in a panic that people want to try to make out are serious talents)
Once again I will state that I am not a fan or defending him,I am defending the myth that he has a talented roster to work with,obviously many disagree....
Like I said earlier, not a great roster, but certainly a roster that is more than capable of winning 2 matches and breaking all kinds of records for 'worst ever'. It's amazing how a roster can start looking good when the players start performing. It's a trick of the mind. Look at us after 4-5 rounds. People wanted a clean out. Then we started performing well and all of the sudden these guys that looked like they needed to be let go, are quality first graders.

That's where I disagree with notions about cattle. There is great cattle and good cattle. Rarely is there bad cattle. Look at how Mark Nichols plays under Bennett. Barrett could make some of these average guys improve a bit and we wouldn't scoff at their roster so much. Perceptions of quality are based on performance; a performance the coach has a large say in.

01. Josh Addo-Carr
02. Corey Allan
03. Brent Naden
04. Nick Cotric
05. Jayden Okunbor
06. Matt Burton
07. Mitchell Pearce
08. Luke Thompson
10. Paul Vaughan
11. Tevita Pangai Junior
12. Jack Hetherington
13. Josh Jackson

14. Matt Dufty
15. Dylan Napa
17. Adam Elliott

There is a lot of mongrel there no doubt, however I would say they've put all their eggs in the one basket to get a very good 13, they will fall of the cliff if they're hit with injuries.

Like I said earlier, not a great roster, but certainly a roster that is more than capable of winning 2 matches and breaking all kinds of records for 'worst ever'. It's amazing how a roster can start looking good when the players start performing. It's a trick of the mind. Look at us after 4-5 rounds. People wanted a clean out. Then we started performing well and all of the sudden these guys that looked like they needed to be let go, are quality first graders.

That's where I disagree with notions about cattle. There is great cattle and good cattle. Rarely is there bad cattle. Look at how Mark Nichols plays under Bennett. Barrett could make some of these average guys improve a bit and we wouldn't scoff at their roster so much. Perceptions of quality are based on performance; a performance the coach has a large say in.
As I said,it is where the talent is,the spine is crucial,getting a journeyman prop to play solidly is hardly a ringing endorsement....we won games with DeLuis and Sironen in the prop rotation and I would not credit Des' with that,it is the spine that matters(chuck in the lock too)
If you look at the ladder from 1-16 it is remarkable how the quality of the spines is almost in descending order too,it tails off a fair bit around the end of the top 8.
There are exceptions,the Roosters had some injuries but went ok,the Raiders spine is ok but struggled without Williams(G).
Bring in Dufty,Burton,(possibly Pearce at 7) and young J.Cook at 9 who is a pretty good player,chuck in Pangai and Mariner on the edges to wreak a bit of havoc and they are a lot more threatening in attack,if he fails with what he has next year,then I will admit he is gone and deservedly so.(I have no interest in him coming back here)
I don't think they will be top 4 next year but there will be improvement.As to our roster I have always believed that a good coach can get a side playing well,I have never thought our roster was poor any year,however I will make an exception with a side that has a spine of Meaney/Flanagan.Averillo and JMK......

As I said,it is where the talent is,the spine is crucial,getting a journeyman prop to play solidly is hardly a ringing endorsement....we won games with DeLuis and Sironen in the prop rotation and I would not credit Des' with that,it is the spine that matters(chuck in the lock too)
If you look at the ladder from 1-16 it is remarkable how the quality of the spines is almost in descending order too,it tails off a fair bit around the end of the top 8.
There are exceptions,the Roosters had some injuries but went ok,the Raiders spine is ok but struggled without Williams(G).
Bring in Dufty,Burton,(possibly Pearce at 7) and young J.Cook at 9 who is a pretty good player,chuck in Pangai and Mariner on the edges to wreak a bit of havoc and they are a lot more threatening in attack,if he fails with what he has next year,then I will admit he is gone and deservedly so.(I have no interest in him coming back here)
I don't think they will be top 4 next year but there will be improvement.As to our roster I have always believed that a good coach can get a side playing well,I have never thought our roster was poor any year,however I will make an exception with a side that has a spine of Meaney/Flanagan.Averillo and JMK......
Agree with the spine assessment. Spot on. I still think he should have been able to jag a few more wins and give the impression that something is building though. But hey, like you said, we'll judge him more on what he does next year. He had Tommy and DCE in his spine at Manly and came up with nothing so the jury is certainly out.

Agree with the spine assessment. Spot on. I still think he should have been able to jag a few more wins and give the impression that something is building though. But hey, like you said, we'll judge him more on what he does next year. He had Tommy and DCE in his spine at Manly and came up with nothing so the jury is certainly out.
Without a doubt they should have won more,there are times when they don't look like they have been given any training as what to do when they are on the oppo line attacking.
He has already made baffling decisions with personal and the constant shuffling of players in and out and in and out of the side makes him look like he is bereft of ideas already.
If they have any success next year people will be crediting Gus anyway,but it will probably buy him more time....
Don't forget Des got caught out with the rule changes last year as well and no Tom hurt us too,this year we have a fit Tom,Foran at 6,and Olakau'atu and Schuster providing spark on the edges.....

The spine is crucial as Joe has said and In 2018 Trent had Tom ,DCE ,fainu and Api in his spine but he ended riding Manly in a Wheelchair to season ending second last position avoiding the spoon by 2 points.

The spine is crucial as Joe has said and In 2018 Trent had Tom ,DCE ,fainu and Api in his spine but he ended riding Manly in a Wheelchair to season ending second last position avoiding the spoon by 2 points.
And as Joe said,the rule changes have made the spine more crucial than ever,it has changed the value and impact more than ever as opposed to previous years.
Des had Tom/DCE/Fainu/Olakau'atu/Schuster/Walker on the roster last year but struggled to adapt to the changes and where did we finish?
I admit that there were injuries to Tom and Fainu not available but as you say excuses are for losers.....

01. Josh Addo-Carr
02. Corey Allan
03. Brent Naden
04. Nick Cotric
05. Jayden Okunbor
06. Matt Burton
07. Mitchell Pearce
08. Luke Thompson
10. Paul Vaughan
11. Tevita Pangai Junior
12. Jack Hetherington
13. Josh Jackson

14. Matt Dufty
15. Dylan Napa
17. Adam Elliott

If they don't improve out of sight next year with that squad then we can put to bed once and for all the myth that Trent Barrett is a First Grade coach.

Barrett said in press conference.
  • We were robbed with the Turbo try.
  • We were robbed with the hair pull.
  • We couldn't win the game under those circumstances.
  • Manlys last try was a fluke.

Okay Trent - let's erase those 8 points for you. BUT - Manly bombed four tries. Manly had a forward unjustly sent to the bin. Your fifth tackle options were appalling. Your team was given a lot of leeway in the ruck. Your team was given a lot of leeway in the 10m rule. One of your tries was a fluke from the kick-off. As a coach, Baz is weak and it filters down to his teams.

Des said in press conference.
  • We were a bit off.
  • Too many errors.
    - Canterbury turned up today.
  • We did what we needed to.
  • Thanks and see ya next week.
poor old bay forgot to mention that his players were off a bit because someone allegedly, allegedly, allegedly, allegedly(that should cover it) tried to steal & sell their boombox!

Barrett said in press conference.
  • We were robbed with the Turbo try.
  • We were robbed with the hair pull.
  • We couldn't win the game under those circumstances.
  • Manlys last try was a fluke.

Okay Trent - let's erase those 8 points for you. BUT - Manly bombed four tries. Manly had a forward unjustly sent to the bin. Your fifth tackle options were appalling. Your team was given a lot of leeway in the ruck. Your team was given a lot of leeway in the 10m rule. One of your tries was a fluke from the kick-off. As a coach, Baz is weak and it filters down to his teams.

Des said in press conference.
  • We were a bit off.
  • Too many errors.
    - Canterbury turned up today.
  • We did what we needed to.
  • Thanks and see ya next week.
When your leader keeps making excuses, his team will always accept losing and look for the soft way out.
I actually thought Dogs had a dig against a flat Manly team, but still fell way short.
If Barrett wanted respect after the game, honesty would have been a priority and his players would recognise where they fell short and could maybe try improve these area's
After that interview, his players are of the belief they were picked on by the ref and mediocrity is good enough to be part of this Dogs team.
It's 1 thing as a coach to support and have your players back, but to sit back everyone week in a disillusional state, sprouting BS will continue getting the results he got at Manly and now at Dogs....accountability is key, the players will struggle to battle for someone they don't trust or believe in and this just be Barrett's biggest problem

01. Josh Addo-Carr
02. Corey Allan
03. Brent Naden
04. Nick Cotric
05. Jayden Okunbor
06. Matt Burton
07. Mitchell Pearce
08. Luke Thompson
10. Paul Vaughan
11. Tevita Pangai Junior
12. Jack Hetherington
13. Josh Jackson

14. Matt Dufty
15. Dylan Napa
17. Adam Elliott
A Silvertails YART is the only place you’d ever see a whole team of Bulldogs without a hooker

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11
10 4 6 15 10