The Luke Brooks Book Thread.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Can this turmoil just fuking well end for once. We've had year after year since the 2011 GF of turmoil. Des exit, Tooves, Barrett , DCE and Foran contracts, Snake and Matai exits, Gift exit, Choc exit, jersey gate, Des exit, Turbo injuries, AFB exit, Api exit, now all this purge it just never ends. We will never get anywhere near the Grand final until we get some stability in the joint.

Strange signing for me , Brooks is a good player was a Dally M winner so he can play
He is a running 1/2 well so they say and DCE is a running 1/2 , I just wonder if Schuster could be that ball playing lock Manly need , with Jake not playing that role now
The other 2 well like the article quoted they are for competition spots which is good for so long players have been comfortable thinking they won’t get dropped
So I’m imagining that this could be the backline next year

1 Tom ( Garrick , Weekes )
2 Saab ( Paulo Tipioluti Veaga )
3 Koula ( Talou Harper )
4 Garrick ( Talou Harper )
5 Paulo. ( Tipioluti Veaga )
6 Brooks
7 DCE

Schuster to play lock or back row
Parker has been left out of the Backs word being he most likely be in the forwards
Plus whoever emerges from lower grades next certainly does make it more competitive

Makes Jake Arthur signing a bit weird now i guess he is the back up and Johns sent on his way

100% agree that Schuster should be a ball playing lock (a-la Gifty). But he wants to play 5/8.

Brooks turns 29 in December. For mine its a strange signing. I'm not the biggest fan of Luke Brooks, but I will say he does have talent. You don't play 10 years as an NRL half with no talent. His biggest issue in the last few years has been a big lack of confidence, and when you play in that side with piss poor forward packs, confidence is easy to lose.

Its a wait and see I guess. This could be the best thing that happens to Brooks.

100% agree that Schuster should be a ball playing lock (a-la Gifty). But he wants to play 5/8.

Brooks turns 29 in December. For mine its a strange signing. I'm not the biggest fan of Luke Brooks, but I will say he does have talent. You don't play 10 years as an NRL half with no talent. His biggest issue in the last few years has been a big lack of confidence, and when you play in that side with piss poor forward packs, confidence is easy to lose.

Its a wait and see I guess. This could be the best thing that happens to Brooks.
Do you think he's been watching some of our forwards lately?

Can this turmoil just fuking well end for once. We've had year after year since the 2011 GF of turmoil. Des exit, Tooves, Barrett , DCE and Foran contracts, Snake and Matai exits, Gift exit, Choc exit, jersey gate, Des exit, Turbo injuries, AFB exit, Api exit, now all this purge it just never ends. We will never get anywhere near the Grand final until we get some stability in the joint.

Mate, I honestly think all the news today is positive for us.

I don't know what some of you have been watching. He's ordinary with a capital O. Money would be better spent on a class forward.

I just do not know and really hope I am so very wrong about this approach.

There is no doubt he has talent but I can not see where he fits in the team.

If it is 6 then where does that leave the shu? as a 13?

It it is a 9 then where does that leave Gordy / Lach?

It is a move that strikes me as a short term fix rather than looking long term solution
I think Gordy is a Tartak client as well...so I reckon he will be out the exit door as well, although I hope Im wrong.

It looks like our 9s will be Brooks / Croker / Lawton.

You didn't even mention manase fainu and the fallout still being felt from him

I just do not know and really hope I am so very wrong about this approach.

There is no doubt he has talent but I can not see where he fits in the team.

If it is 6 then where does that leave the shu? as a 13?

It it is a 9 then where does that leave Gordy / Lach?

It is a move that strikes me as a short term fix rather than looking long term solution
Long-term five-eight @lsz

It's a 4 year deal. He is only 28 now, so at worst, it's a medium term solution.

DCE has at least 2 more years in him.

I think it's a good move.
More than he has shown in 10 years in first grade? He is a decent enough player but I am not sure he shifts the dial / can do what DCE does.

Look I can understand what they are doing but I really do not think that he is the sort of player that will win us a comp.

It feels like a quick win signing - like I said I really hope I am wronng

I don't mind this at all. If anything smart move from the club as there's not many halves on the market and they definitely can see they're not getting what they expected from Schuster. I know Schu wants to play 5/8 and be the best player in the world, but it's definitely not working for him at this stage and it may not ever. He's a gun backrower with brilliant hands. He can be the best backrower in the game and maybe a little chat with Beaver can convince him of that. Schu could be another Beaver, Gift and even Cordner.
Schu should definitely sit down with Cliffy and Beaver. I think these guys are his best chance of a wake up call and set him up on the right path to glory.

Sorry to disagree, but I actually think it makes perfect sense.

He is going to patrol the left edge at 6. He has a left foot kicking game, an excellent running game (he's very fast) and is a terrific professional. He will provide stability on his side of the field.

Schu is not working out at 6. He does the occasional creative piece of play but highlight reels don't win premierships. The high % stuff is paramount. How many years should we squander waiting for that to develop when it doesn't seem to be his natural game anyway? I haven't even mentioned his defence yet; abysmal. He is gassed by half time and fades badly.

He will never have to stamina to defend at lock. He might go to an edge but I think he'll find another club. I'd like to keep him on an edge but I don't see a 6 in him at all, which is why I like this signing.

Finally, Brooks is 28...that's 6 years younger than DCE. When we inevitably lose our Captain, we will have a guy with over 200 games of FG experience already in the system. He'll become the dominant playmaker when DCE is either injured, playing Origin, or retired. There's too much emphasis on potential in NRL circles because the media like to hype it up. The reality is potential takes years to refine (particularly in the halves) and sometimes never materialises into the full package. Better to hedge our bets on an established FG to take over from DCE, then hope that we'll have a junior in the system ready to step up in a couple of years time.
I just do not see the dominant play maker as that is not what he has been for the first 200 games of his first grade career.

For me, as good a player as he is, I do not see him as a player that makes us a potential comp winner. Also the cap space he takes further tightens our ability to attract depth players etc

More than he has shown in 10 years in first grade? He is a decent enough player but I am not sure he shifts the dial / can do what DCE does.

Look I can understand what they are doing but I really do not think that he is the sort of player that will win us a comp.

It feels like a quick win signing - like I said I really hope I am wronng

I reckon he will thrive not having to be the main man for a while.

Less pressure, more just play footy for a couple of years, then Cherry moves on, and we have an experienced half still here to usher through the next generation .

I'm actually damn excited, the more I think about it.

I reckon he will thrive not having to be the main man for a while.

Less pressure, more just play footy for a couple of years, then Cherry moves on, and we have an experienced half still here to usher through the next generation .

I'm actually damn excited, the more I think about it.
I really hope so

Issue for me is not so much around the halves but creativity out of the 9 and some starch upfront. I hope this does not stop us addressing those areas

I just do not see the dominant play maker as that is not what he has been for the first 200 games of his first grade career.

For me, as good a player as he is, I do not see him as a player that makes us a potential comp winner. Also the cap space he takes further tightens our ability to attract depth players etc
I think he's been hamstrung by the Tigers poor recruitment. They haven't put the right players around him. He's never played second fiddle to a guy of Daly's calibre. I also think with the cap increase, 650k is pretty good for an established half with over 200 FG games. Not many halves in the NRL (both 6 or 7) would be on much less; it's not the kinda position you're gonna fill for 350k. Maybe a rookie in their first year but they'll quickly get upgraded if they're successful. It's the kind of position that takes up a decent % of the cap at every club.

Anyway, I respect your opinion on the matter.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8