The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
He was exclusively a 6 for us but rep selectors were smart and picked him on an edge because they could see what was best for Josh.

I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a big bust up and he ends up somewhere else. He’s not a ‘Des’ player and certainly not a Des 6. No one or nothing can force Dessie’s hand. If he decides Schu is not our 6 next year, he’ll keep him on the bench and eventually there’ll be a request for a release.
He certainly hasn't convinced me he is a 6 and certainly hasn't convinced me he is a great team player and club man or that he is prepared to put in 110% and give everything he has got. He seems to be the entitled player who believes in his own newspaper headlines and basks in the glory of what he might be... instead of working hard to be the best player he can be

No question that Schuster hasn't been Schuster-like this year. The problem is we don't really know what is causing the problems and there's just a lot of conjecture that may well be right or may well be well off the mark. The bigger picture isnt clear. This kid has the talent to be one of the best. Even last year while playing second row for his first top grade year, he was instrumental in many attacking raids Manly initiated, despite having to do on average around 28 tackles a game and be one of only three of the forwards (Jake and Croker) who played the full 80 minutes almost every game.

To me, and I may be well off the mark, he is still playing injured and is being nursed back into the game. Fitness, yeh, but that goes along with injury issues. Confidence. He looks lost, struggling to fit in. I suspect a combination of features starting with an injury that took a long time to heal based on what was being reported. And I think the Foran issue has also taken its toll on him and some other players in the team.

Just hope it works out. He's not an old fart like many of us who have been through life's downers and had to toughened up. He's still a kid and I remember how naive and lacking in confidence I was when I was 21. Didnt take much to sap my confidence in those days. These day I dont care.

Last edited:
Certainly not a 6 with his current style of play and sluggish movement . Very effective [ or has been ] just wide of the ruck and more one on one and when he was moving so much better . Seems to be a lot of focus on that one game last season against the Eels and a couple of deft passes but that was when Turbo was going so well and also such a good foil in general . Form drop off seemed to co inside with his weight increase at the end of last season and exasperated this season with injury setbacks and more fitness issues . Think that he can still offer more as a back rower and in any case these supposedly magical ball skills as a 6 will be or are very limited against a well organized defensive side and most N R l standard sides . Some players either through natural body development or other factors simply grow out of certain previous or preferred positions Paul Gallen used to be a 6 for the Sharks before his back row transition . No way comparing Josh to him and josh has just so much more skill level but again has to be looked at what is in the best future interests for Josh and Manly positional wise and every current indication on an edge . Might be better to encourage Weekes as a 6 for next season or even bring back Cust, josh seems like a good kid and want him to have a long and successful career with Manly but again on present indications , won't be as a 6

Just my opinion ... I see a kid who has found out what it is like to go from being a big fish in the small juniors to being a little fish in the NRL ..

finding that all the tricks that dazzled the people that like shiny things .. don't work so well against a team of experienced and seasoned first graders ..

.. that the lazy defence and labrador attitude don't cut it in first grade ... that waiting for the moment to make the big highlight reel play doesn't make up for 80 mins of hard work and 1%er's .. (just ask Foz) ...

Blaming the coaching staff is ridiculous ... they can talk and coach all day long and I am sure they are ... but the player has to be listening ... and responding ..

I wish Schuster all success ... but I think it will only come after a major mind shift ...

Perhaps this was the year he needed to have ... it will either make him stronger and more determined ... or ...

Last edited:
Gave away 4 penalties last night. Needs to do better.

Also, can he kick? I can't recall him kicking long (not counting last night's short kick). 6s need to kick.

I am a fan a wish Josh the best but he needs to improve. (Maybe I am just posting my disappointment after an insipid loss ...)

I see a kid who has found out what it is like to go from being a big fish in the small juniors to being a little fish in the NRL ..

finding that all the tricks that dazzled the people that like shiny things .. don't work so well against a team of experienced and seasoned first graders ..

.. that the lazy defence and labrador attitude don't cut it first grade ... that waiting for the moment to make the big highlight reel play doesn't make up for 80 mins of hard work and 1%er's .. (just ask Foz) ...

Blaming the coaching staff is ridiculous ... they than talk and coach all day long and I am sure they are ... but the player has to be listening ...

I wish Schuster all success ... but I think it will only come after a major mind shift ...

Perhaps this was the year he needed to have ... it will either make him stronger and more determined ... or ...
I think this is spot on. Good observations Woodsie

He was exclusively a 6 for us but rep selectors were smart and picked him on an edge because they could see what was best for Josh.

I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a big bust up and he ends up somewhere else. He’s not a ‘Des’ player and certainly not a Des 6. No one or nothing can force Dessie’s hand. If he decides Schu is not our 6 next year, he’ll keep him on the bench and eventually there’ll be a request for a release.
Unfortunately Des has in fact been forced by the club. Des wanted Foz. Simple as that.

I've said it before & I'll say it again - Schuster is obviously not 100% fit.

No pre-season due to injury, unable to run due to said injury, starting on the bench & playing 10 minutes at the end of each game (apart from last night) since coming back from injury.

His weight, fitness & (in turn) confidence have all suffered due to it.

Give him time to fully recover after this season & a full offseason training at full capacity at 5/8th & I'm confident we'll see Schuster back at his 2021 best next year.

I think he's still trying to figure things out. He feels a bit down in spirits that things aren't coming to him or working out as easier than he's accustomed to. Ther's a lot of talent but he needs to be able to put more work into becoming an nrl first grader. At least his no lookers have been curbed. I think the next off season will make or break him.

the schu has played more good games than bad. Last season he was pretty good.
last night wasnt his finest moment . he wasnt alone and is starting behing the 8 ball in prep and conditioning. I dont think he is a 6 . I dont see him as cherries partner but thats going to be open with foz leaving. He looks and old style 13. But thats jakeys spot.

next season back row is a possability but apart from that where is he best suited as a player and for the team . we have too many ball players atm and not enough that can gallop to give them space

Last edited:
I think Silvertails members can be very fickle & also harsh at times. When the team loses, they like to have a scapegoat. When this happens, they only see what they want to see. For example, one poster said Schuster was the worse player on the field last night. I guess that person missed Schuster's 33 tackles - third behind Walker's 48 & Aloiai's 38 :)

Many wanted to move on Garrick during his second year, but now all praise him highly. Many wanted to drop Saab a few weeks into 2021 & later he scored many spectacular tries (which only he could have scored). Many were digging the boot into Harper earlier this year, but now he has regained his confidence & is probably playing better than last year.

This year, Schuster due to injuries & illness had a delayed start to his season. He has only been in the starting thirteen twice, both as five eighth. In the first game, he played very well. Since then, he has has limited time playing from the bench. Elsewhere, it has been reported that he is carrying an injury which requires off season surgery (can't confirm the veracity of this information). IMO, his form should be assessed only after he has played several full games.

There has all been sorts of character assassination in this forum - he is not dedicated enough, his plays selfishly, he is lazy, he is a show pony, he wants to leave the club etc. To be honest, I find this a bit sickening and not in the true spirit of our club. I wish supporters would lay off and give the kid a fair chance. He was often brilliant in his rookie year & no doubt, given the opportunity, will play many winning hands for the Sea Eagles in the future.

I reckon croker or cust are better halves than schuster. You need a great kicking game to be a good half and im not convinced with schuster's kicking game.

I think Silvertails members can be very fickle & also harsh at times. When the team loses, they like to have a scapegoat. When this happens, they only see what they want to see. For example, one poster said Schuster was the worse player on the field last night. I guess that person missed Schuster's 33 tackles - third behind Walker's 48 & Aloiai's 38 :)

Many wanted to move on Garrick during his second year, but now all praise him highly. Many wanted to drop Saab a few weeks into 2021 & later he scored many spectacular tries (which only he could have scored). Many were digging the boot into Harper earlier this year, but now he has regained his confidence & is probably playing better than last year.

This year, Schuster due to injuries & illness had a delayed start to his season. He has only been in the starting thirteen twice, both as five eighth. In the first game, he played very well. Since then, he has has limited time playing from the bench. Elsewhere, it has been reported that he is carrying an injury which requires off season surgery (can't confirm the veracity of this information). IMO, his form should be assessed only after he has played several full games.

There has all been sorts of character assassination in this forum - he is not dedicated enough, his plays selfishly, he is lazy, he is a show pony, he wants to leave the club etc. To be honest, I find this a bit sickening and not in the true spirit of our club. I wish supporters would lay off and give the kid a fair chance. He was often brilliant in his rookie year & no doubt, given the opportunity, will play many winning hands for the Sea Eagles in the future.

Well said 👏 👌 👍

I reckon croker or cust are better halves than schuster. You need a great kicking game to be a good half and im not convinced with schuster's kicking game.

Two years back Croker was considered a poor five eighth, Cust was a good half and performed reasonably well at 5/8. But nether were the answer and consequently one ended up a hooker, the other left the club.

Schuster is quite a deal more talented player than either of those two. Croker has developed very well as a hooker, but I wouldnt want him at 5/8. He's found his niche and if Fainu has his matter dismissed then we have a great interchanging hooker partnership, as long as Fainu can regain his fitness level and get that skill level back.

Schuster does have a kicking game. Often seen with bombs and he kicked well in the juniors. Trouble is he is playing second row and therefore not required to do much kicking. Why would you want to with such a brilliant mid field kicker as DCE. And Foran kicks well. So we havent seen Schuster's kicking because it hasnt been needed.

The Schuster of this year is not the Schuster based on the potential we've seen and know he has. Something is wrong and we can only hope its rectified by the beginning of 2023. Easy to forget the talent seen in the past, and though it may well be as Woodsie suggests that he's learning that in first grade things are not so easy, the point is, the talent is there, and that is inherent. Just a question of getting to the next level and effectively utilizing it. And I could suggest its important to remember that this kid's primary skill is as a ball player. What position is best suited for that role?

Absolutely spot on.

Calling him a brat, unmotivated, lazy all while having no idea about the individual themselves or what is happening behind the scenes is poor form.

Comment on his form, which has been down, no issue with that.

I think it should also be pointed out that though Schuster may not have had his best game , he did 32 tackles (3rd highest in the team), with only one missed, ran 83 metres, conceded one penalty not four as someone suggested, all within 63 minutes. So statistically he didnt do too badly suggesting the high expectations we have on the kid.

does des still need to make the 8 to exercise next years extension option?

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 4 5 19 10
10 5 5 -13 10
10 5 5 -56 10