The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
You don't run 100m in 10.58 if you are slow to get going. Walsh never won any kind of junior sprint trophies. It's deceptive. He has great acceleration (gets to top speed quickly) but I have seen him gas and be run down from behind by lesser names than Koula. He gasses very quickly.

Walsh might go neck and neck over 20-30m and then be left for dead.

So you are basically agreeing with me. Thanks

I have never seen Koula as fast Walsh over the first 20m. Or perhaps it's more Walsh can run into gaps and around opposition better.

I think it's just that Walsh has had more space and opportunities created for him. In terms of acceleration in identical situations, highly doubt he's quicker than Koula

I think Walsh uses his accelerator better than most, he cruises and picks his moments to hit the gas, it looks good and can be hard for defenders to get a read on, I would love to see Koula playing with the same opportunities Walsh gets.

Last edited:
I think it's just that Walsh has had more space and opportunities created for him. In terms of acceleration in identical situations, highly doubt he's quicker than Koula
If he is, there wouldn't be much in it. When you have elite pace, such as Snake had, then small differences with fast opponents don't mean much because you are rarely in a match race with them.
As to your first point, absolutely. If our forwards were consistently going forward at the rate that Carrigan, Flegler, and Haas have been, our fullbacks would look pretty good too.

We are really due some injury luck, if we get our top 3 props playing nearly all games we'll have a much better chance.

Walsh and Ponga move laterally forward faster than anyone imo.
Koula might be faster in a straight line, but it's laterally running into half gaps and around defenders that sets up tries.

Regardless, great to have a couple of real speedster in our team. Now to get them the best ball and the best out of them.

So you are basically agreeing with me. Thanks

I have never seen Koula as fast Walsh over the first 20m. Or perhaps it's more Walsh can run into gaps and around opposition better.
Not really. I'm suggesting that Walsh would be running next to Koula and Saab at 20-30m mark at best, not in front of them. Walsh has great anticipation and is already at top speed when he gets the ball, so it looks like he is flying but if you put him on a track, he wouldn't be visibly in front of Koula and Saab at any point. He'd be next to them at best and be 30m behind them at the end of the 100m. You can't judge a players speed by how fast it looks like they're running.

Saab looks effortless and takes giant strides, as does the Hammer. Then you get the guys with the shorter, stockier legs and they look quicker but actually aren't. Geoff Toovey is a great example. He had an excellent turn of speed and would burst through holes but he was never considered a 'speedster'. The same goes for Dylan Walker (before he had the horrible ankle injury) and Billy Slater. Speaking of Walker, he scored a brilliant try against the Roosters at the SFS in 2017, running off a ball from Bryan Kelly. He burst through at a million miles, just like Reece Walsh does, and big Dan Tupou (who was chasing from well behind) looked like he was running in quick sand and actually almost caught Walker, who looked like he was flying.

Anyway, I am not trying to convince you of my opinion, because you'll stick to your guns regardless, but I thought I would throw my 2 cents worth in as food for thought for the benefit of other readers.

Not really. I'm suggesting that Walsh would be running next to Koula and Saab at 20-30m mark at best, not in front of them. Walsh has great anticipation and is already at top speed when he gets the ball, so it looks like he is flying but if you put him on a track, he wouldn't be visibly in front of Koula and Saab at any point. He'd be next to them at best and be 30m behind them at the end of the 100m. You can't judge a players speed by how fast it looks like they're running.

Saab looks effortless and takes giant strides, as does the Hammer. Then you get the guys with the shorter, stockier legs and they look quicker but actually aren't. Geoff Toovey is a great example. He had an excellent turn of speed and would burst through holes but he was never considered a 'speedster'. The same goes for Dylan Walker (before he had the horrible ankle injury) and Billy Slater. Speaking of Walker, he scored a brilliant try against the Roosters at the SFS in 2017, running off a ball from Bryan Kelly. He burst through at a million miles, just like Reece Walsh does, and big Dan Tupou (who was chasing from well behind) looked like he was running in quick sand and actually almost caught Walker, who looked like he was flying.

Anyway, I am not trying to convince you of my opinion, because you'll stick to your guns regardless, but I thought I would throw my 2 cents worth in as food for thought for the benefit of other readers.
that was a great game and fanatstic pass from Bryan Kelly beautifully finished by DW ,,,good times

Just curious - I noticed that Shu was not selected in the Samoan Test squad (not that I think he should have been) - does anyone know if he again, made himself unavailable or did they just not pick him?

Just curious - I noticed that Shu was not selected in the Samoan Test squad (not that I think he should have been) - does anyone know if he again, made himself unavailable or did they just not pick him?
Either way, he knew he wouldn't be in the team as he has been holidaying in Las Vegas with Jason Saab.

They're there with Mario Tartak and Matt Doorey, some sort of Crown Sports Management getaway.
Oh. That can never be good. You'd think you'd just want to get away from anything to do with footy and their managers.

There are 4 types of speed in RL. Acceleration, top speed, reaction speed and most importantly how quickly you can judge where, when, why you are needed. Snake had the best balance of these 4 attributes I have ever seen.

There are 4 types of speed in RL. Acceleration, top speed, reaction speed and most importantly how quickly you can judge where, when, why you are needed. Snake had the best balance of these 4 attributes I have ever seen.
100% agree with your Snake valuation but I think there is another important attribute with speed and it's that change of direction at top speed and this is an element I think Walsh has a few tricked by, he glides sideways as fast as he runs on a straight line and this along with anticipation are his main attributes imo and though he is quick....these elements exaggerate his speed but at the same time will make him entertaining and cut many sides apart in coming years.
Slater also had these 2 key elements and the ability to put himself into space with his timing and positioning, but Snake in the clear would burn both of them and defensively he absolutely kills them....my absolute favourite was the Snake Stewart.

100% agree with your Snake valuation but I think there is another important attribute with speed and it's that change of direction at top speed and this is an element I think Walsh has a few tricked by, he glides sideways as fast as he runs on a straight line and this along with anticipation are his main attributes imo and though he is quick....these elements exaggerate his speed but at the same time will make him entertaining and cut many sides apart in coming years.
Slater also had these 2 key elements and the ability to put himself into space with his timing and positioning, but Snake in the clear would burn both of them and defensively he absolutely kills them....my absolute favourite was the Snake Stewart.
Walshes ability to seemingly float sideways past multiple defenders is very special indeed. Completely effortless and a joy to watch.

Sadly I've seen similar attributes in Weekes. He is a few years away from Walsh levels but I see him getting there if afforded the opportunities.

I see Koula as a long term fullback especially as his confidence and self belief grow. He just needs to become safe as bank under the high ball. He revels in space and has a tone of pace. Whereas Turbo doesn't have the confidence to run long sprints anymore. I'd be playing Turbo in Centres as he does not have the pace he use to have but his size and strength make him one of the best centres in the game. In addition we need to change Turbo's mind set and stop him taking so many balls as first receiver from the ruck he will do more damage on the edges running into gaps.

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 4 5 19 10
10 5 5 -13 10