The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Surly Shoes not a lock, he definitely has the ball playing skills, but his work rate, defence, off the ball effort and fitness don’t come close, even with a potential spell, someone would have to put a bomb under him, maybe we could a hire a drill Sargent to get him in shape, even then I would worry about his attitude and application.
I even find it hard to see him back on an edge, sadly I think Knuckles may be right and we are crazy offering anywhere near 800, I’d pull the offer, for 800 your close to getting a quality edge like Liam Martin, it’s a shame we extended JA his money would of come in handy, Quac and Martin on the edges would make other teams weary.

It's pretty simple for Schu for the rest of 2023.
Get fitter and play good footy at 5/8th to prove himself as he is leap years better than Brooks.

If Seibs thinks that fellow Moses stooge Brooks is a better option than Schu he maybe disappointed and feel the waste of $$. He has been a myth since he entered first grade. The only consistency with Brooks is his inconsistency.

And folks here think Schu goes in and out of games - all 6 of them at 5/8th.

He will come good - just hope it's playing for Manly.

Yeah I have never really been convinced by the hype but you are right about the narrative flipping on its head…
N the same
I think people are just fed up with the inconsistency of the team as a whole and Schu is copping it (rightfully imo) because his hot-and-cold form (combined with his reported salary) is such an obvious target…

Schu was brilliant 2 weeks ago and whilst that reminded supporters of his talent, the following week reminded us all fithow little he is delivering at 6 overall… jmo…without in
He is only 22 , so still young to be running a side but also doesn't command $800 , with the whole power struggle with Tartak I can see we might lose a few players but will regain some leverage, it seems if a player has a few good games they want upgrading ,if you offered me Brooks or Shu on the same money I would take Shu ,I think Shu and Turbo are in the same boat,they both are not match fit , not enough games in the last couple of years, if Shu can play the rest of the year without injury you would see a more consistent player, if he stays

He is only 22 , so still young to be running a side but also doesn't command $800 , with the whole power struggle with Tartak I can see we might lose a few players but will regain some leverage, it seems if a player has a few good games they want upgrading ,if you offered me Brooks or Shu on the same money I would take Shu ,I think Shu and Turbo are in the same boat,they both are not match fit , not enough games in the last couple of years, if Shu can play the rest of the year without injury you would see a more consistent player, if he stays
Kid obviously has talent but his effort areas have always concerned me… I have not totally given up on him but I won’t be devastated if he moves on either…
He may end up being the best but right now he is a liability

It's pretty simple for Schu for the rest of 2023.
Get fitter and play good footy at 5/8th to prove himself as he is leap years better than Brooks.

If Seibs thinks that fellow Moses stooge Brooks is a better option than Schu he maybe disappointed and feel the waste of $$. He has been a myth since he entered first grade. The only consistency with Brooks is his inconsistency.

And folks here think Schu goes in and out of games - all 6 of them at 5/8th.

He will come good - just hope it's playing for Manly.
It has been pretty simple since he started playing first grade. Get fit and play good footy which he only does in glimpses at 5/8 when we are playing weak opposition. He lacks enthusiasm on the field and has not shown any signs he is has any true grit. Maybe its maturity, maybe its fitness, maybe it's a sense of entitlement coupled with bad advice and poor influences, what I do know is I wouldn't be taking an $800k a year gamble on it.

I have been a huge Shoe fan, believing he would develop into a once-in-a-generation player, but I'm starting to doubt my opinion. He is not running enough, breaking tackles or challenging the opposition with anything bar his tricky passing. When he was a junior he challenged the line. Unless he can reclaim his running game then he is just a one-dimentional five-eighth and certainly not worth anything like $800,000.

Put him on the edge, he can unlock Shuster better than any other player in our team by far.

Maybe down the track he could play lock if he works on his fitness. Allow him to just run with the ball a little more, but work rate in defence would need to improve.

Same. I liked what I saw early but he has lost his zip and has become lazy in defence. I know last season took the wind out of his sails but he has been given a fresh start and isn't making much of it. He played well against Canberra but since that game he has not looked hungry or motivated.

I have been a huge Shoe fan, believing he would develop into a once-in-a-generation player, but I'm starting to doubt my opinion. He is not running enough, breaking tackles or challenging the opposition with anything bar his tricky passing. When he was a junior he challenged the line. Unless he can reclaim his running game then he is just a one-dimentional five-eighth and certainly not worth anything like $800,000.
The thing is we have about 5 once in a generation players on the books and, of course, no guarantees. Manly need a quick fix to be competitive, break away from Blacktown and look for greener pastures. They all don't have to be Polynesian (and I'm not being racists) they can be lazy. I loike what the club has done this week and ist far rfom over, I feel.

In my opinion the best we saw from Schu was in the backrow in 2021… the first eels game comes to mind, where we put 30 on them, with dce, turbo and schuster running riot.. to me that’s always been his best position, I’m excited to see what we can do with dce controlling the side , brooks doing brooks things, schuster chiming in when needed and (hopefully) tommy turbo pushing up in support to capitalise… would give the opposition fits…. And if schuster doesn’t want to do that, see ya later

The current situation with Schu is not entirely his fault. Many years ago when he was playing juniors, the club put junior premierships ahead of player development. Schu’s incredible skill was utilised to torch oppositions in SG Ball, etc. but blind Freddy could see it wasn’t going to equate to success in FG when he filled out. He should have been coached to play tough years ago and he would be reaping the rewards now. Instead, they played him at 6 and he has developed habits that are not lending themselves to what is essentially a completely different game at FG level. I kinda feel sorry for him.

In my opinion the best we saw from Schu was in the backrow in 2021… the first eels game comes to mind, where we put 30 on them, with dce, turbo and schuster running riot.. to me that’s always been his best position, I’m excited to see what we can do with dce controlling the side , brooks doing brooks things, schuster chiming in when needed and (hopefully) tommy turbo pushing up in support to capitalise… would give the opposition fits…. And if schuster doesn’t want to do that, see ya later
Might want to check where he played in that game, I'll give you a hint Foran wasn't playing

I'll be in the minority here but I still believe Schu is a 5/8, he's literally only played 8 games there this year and only 5 of them with Tommy for 4 wins and 1 loss (vs Souths). The last 2 weeks haven't been great but we've had a weakened team and played strong opposition away from home, Schu hasn't played well but he's certainly not alone in that regard

That's not to say I don't think he can't play backrow, so I hope he stays and sticks it to everyone that keeps writing him off. He's got some things to work on in his game but what 22 year old doesn't? Seems like we need to get rid of anyone if they aren't a superstar immediately on here. Unless you're a slow former half playing hooker, then you can keep the spot for years and even become captain!

Schuster signs three-year extension to remain at Manly​

Manly’s signing spree continues, with the club locking down rising playmaker Josh Schuster for another three years.

The news comes the day after the Sea Eagles announced the signing of Wests Tigers halfback Luke Brooks on a four-year deal, meaning Schuster’s future on the peninsula appears to be in the back row, something the 22-year-old has accepted.

He informed the club of his decision late on Monday night. The deal is believed to be worth $2.4 million over three seasons.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8