The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
That is exactly what the NRL stats said.

Schu 27 tackles - zero misses
71 run metres

Where does 8 missed tackles come from? Fantasyland.

Why is 800K keep getting mentioned.

He signed his extension for a lot less than he is bring paid now. I believe around 550 - 600k per season. Still great money.

Ah okay, so you and sportingnews.com say less.
Must be gospel than 🙄. Either way, at the moment 55k-60k is too much let alone 550-600k.

In reality, Schuster isn't fit enough to play first grade right now. Until that changes, he is destined to play in the NSW Cup. Arguably, he isn't fit enough to even play NSW Cup. I am sure we all hope he can change this reality. Unfortunately, it looks like that is becoming increasingly unlikely week by week. I hope he proves me wrong.

Last edited:
Ah okay, so you and sportingnews.com say less.
Must be gospel than 🙄. Either way, at the moment 55k-60k is too much let alone 550-600k.

LOL. So did the Manly club, Schu and Seibold.

Or do u think he must be on 800k thou.

But yes, Schu is not performing at the moment.

Was at the game from Nelson Bay…. I thought Shu was ok being his 1st game from limited pre season. The bloke is an absolute 1st grader and I reckon about 5 more games will be up to speed. Can’t believe how big the bloke is…. Get him right we will make the top 2 if not win.

@manly al, what that 8 missed tackles stat doesn't tell us is how many when he was playing second row or centre ( he filled in there for 25mins ).
That may have been a contributing factor.
Fair point but guess that it is or should be largely irrelevant whether it was on an edge or centre .
Actually was not aware of the missed tackle stat until i read it on here as he still had a reasonably good game .
Has certainly improved his overall defense in recent times but still probably not his real strong point or on the consistency factor .
Then by the same token , Shu had a tendency even in his better performances in 21 to be a bit half hearted occasionally in the tackle effort department .
Burbo missed tackles can still be attributed in more of the technique factor but no question again his overall game has improved quite a bit for some time now
And his versatility, a definite bonus .
Be interesting if Parker receives some more opportunities to play on an edge , inconsistent defence has never been an issue for him

Was at the game from Nelson Bay…. I thought Shu was ok being his 1st game from limited pre season. The bloke is an absolute 1st grader and I reckon about 5 more games will be up to speed. Can’t believe how big the bloke is…. Get him right we will make the top 2 if not win.

I had a good chat to him walking back to our cars yesterday.. he's a big unit.
And a really nice guy.
Told me he felt good after the run and was keen to get a couple more games before making a run for first grade.
He said.. I will be back better than ever, he was pumped for the boys.
I told him to just focus on himself and enjoy playing and to forget the media and social media warriors. He agreed, said it wasn't easy at times especially as the facts are often not what is talked about but was just focused on getting back in the team.

Fair point but guess that it is or should be largely irrelevant whether it was on an edge or centre .
Actually was not aware of the missed tackle stat until i read it on here as he still had a reasonably good game .
Has certainly improved his overall defense in recent times but still probably not his real strong point or on the consistency factor .
Then by the same token , Shu had a tendency even in his better performances in 21 to be a bit half hearted occasionally in the tackle effort department .
Burbo missed tackles can still be attributed in more of the technique factor but no question again his overall game has improved quite a bit for some time now
And his versatility, a definite bonus .
Be interesting if Parker receives some more opportunities to play on an edge , inconsistent defence has never been an issue for him
Will be interesting to see which way Siebs goes this week replacing Talau.
Does he go Koula on the wing, Burbo centre and Bully, Waddell or Parker.
Or bring in yet another winger?
Please not Ray though.

And a really nice guy.
Told me he felt good after the run and was keen to get a couple more games before making a run for first grade.
I told him to just focus on himself and enjoy playing and to forget the media and social media warriors. He agreed, said it wasn't easy at times especially as the facts are often not what is talked about but was just focused on getting back in the team.
Fantastic hopefully everyone can get behind the kid and support him, he cops it from the media more than any other young player in the game.

He can only help in making 2024 a good year for the club and team.

And a really nice guy.
Good on you. Thanks for that

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see which way Siebs goes this week replacing Talau.
Does he go Koula on the wing, Burbo centre and Bully, Waddell or Parker.
Or bring in yet another winger?
Please not Ray though.
Koula or Koula "s top shelf ability would be wasted on the wing and just no way to get the best value from him
Same really with Garrick , maybe not to the same extent but going well in the centres since his switch
Don 't think that Faulalo is available until May or so , most likely Ray and looks like confirmed .
One thing with Ray is that he will definitely make his presence felt and the error issue hopefully not to be a concern

Time to let Schuster go especially on that $800k price tag. I still scratch my head thinking "why would the club sign him on that coin?" especially when you could have got another front rower like Flegler or a devasting winger like Dominic Young.

Wont happen even if you wish it would. The contract is signed and the money spent. No other team is going to fork out the equivalent monies and if they offer much less, Manly is paying the remainder for several years for no one playing. Waste of time contemplating having him leave. Would you accept less to go elsewhere? Same argument about DCE years back. Better to concentrate on getting the best out of what you have. Yes, I agree the contract was higher than I would have thought reasonable, but like with DCE, other teams were snooping and Manly obviously thought they had to pay overs to keep them. Hopefully it will be worth it. It was with DCE.

Wont happen even if you wish it would. The contract is signed and the money spent. No other team is going to fork out the equivalent monies and if they offer much less, Manly is paying the remainder for several years for no one playing. Waste of time contemplating having him leave. Would you accept less to go elsewhere? Same argument about DCE years back. Better to concentrate on getting the best out of what you have. Yes, I agree the contract was higher than I would have thought reasonable, but like with DCE, other teams were snooping and Manly obviously thought they had to pay overs to keep them. Hopefully it will be worth it. It was with DCE.
I agree - I am one of the few optimists who still hold out some hope for Josh turning it around but it's getting hard to sustain. But regardless I think the idea of taking a partial subsidy/offset to watch him playing for a club that would have him would be a bit pointless because we'd struggle to replace him with any quality $$$ wise for what he'd attract now ( assuming the buying club isn't going to cover much freight at all on present form ).

We've got to rebuild his confidence and his fitness and either get him back in first grade shape or if not in good enough shape to at least sell him at a decent price .... I think just pushing him out the door now is lose/lose.

Did note that Shu was listed as making 27 tackles in his Blacktown appearance and presume that he played the full 80 [ well maybe not but just presumed ]
So not too bad an outcome taking into account his i st proper hit out for this season , some suggestions that he seemed a bit sluggish at times but probably to be expected to some degree also
Doubt that he has lost any attacking prowess and again for first game back in 24 , maybe did not go that bad
No way his match fit or stamina level would be anywhere near ideal levels .
Still has quite some way to go obviously with match fitness but maybe to give some slack on his weekend performance and see how he goes in the next couple of rounds .
Hopefully some reasonable prospect of getting his mojo back and before not too long .
Was Parker playing ? only had one look at the highlights and may have missed something but did not even notice him . Anyway still no doubt a good , reliable player and still good to have him in the general squad

Did note that Shu was listed as making 27 tackles in his Blacktown appearance and presume that he played the full 80 [ well maybe not but just presumed ]
So not too bad an outcome taking into account his i st proper hit out for this season , some suggestions that he seemed a bit sluggish at times but probably to be expected to some degree also
Doubt that he has lost any attacking prowess and again for first game back in 24 , maybe did not go that bad
No way his match fit or stamina level would be anywhere near ideal levels .
Still has quite some way to go obviously with match fitness but maybe to give some slack on his weekend performance and see how he goes in the next couple of rounds .
Hopefully some reasonable prospect of getting his mojo back and before not too long .
Was Parker playing ? only had one look at the highlights and may have missed something but did not even notice him . Anyway still no doubt a good , reliable player and still good to have him in the general squad
Schuster did play the full 80, and didn't do anything outstanding but if I remember correctly there was no errors from him, Parker played and scored a try early in the second half. I am a big fan of Schuey and do believe it will take a few weeks before he is considered for first grade, assuming he will be challenging for Waddell's bench spot, Schuey definitely offers more off the bench than wads as long as he can stick to the basics and not try to out do himself.

I went to the Reggie’s game specifically to see Schu play and I was really disappointed in what I saw. I wasn’t even sure what position he was playing, as he spent most of the time next to the left winger, which I found quite odd.

His defence seemed okay, however I did not see the Chook’s first try and the reported arm grabbing.

Most of the Chook’s tries were on the opposite side to where the Schu was.

The Schu did throw some no look passes which were okay, but did not amount to anything and he put in a very good grubber kick close to the line.

Most of the time he just appeared to be disinterested, however, maybe that’s the way he always looks, or appears to look.

He was certainly ‘blowing’ and doing a lot of walking or slow jogging during the game.

He just needs more match fitness and confidence, as he has the talent to potentially be a real game breaker.

When he comes back to First Grade I am sure we will see the best of him with Burbo, Turbo and Brooks running lines off him.

He just needs game time and confidence in my opinion.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8