The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Scorpio

Armchair Expert
Agreed, and wish him well but I rolled my eyes at his insistence on only playing 5/8 in the future. That small statement speaks volumes.

I feel like Bozo's insistence that he is or will be the chief playmaker all throughout juniors (in stacked squads) as well as when he made it to NRL plays a large part in that attitude.

Even if Josh maintains his goal of 106kg, that is still massive for a #6... It provides no benefit unless he's making effective runs like a second rower which he hasn't really done.

Anyway good luck to him.

Seagles68

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
It wouldn't shock me if Bennett is tracking his "progress". If anyone can get the best out of him, it's Bennett. Walker to 7 and a fit Shu at 6 and Mitchell @1 with Bennett back - I could see that.

Ryan

Journey Man
Illustrates some of the points perfectly in the article really, where the bloke explains what has been going on with him mentally and the pressures involved etc, and people still read that and feel the need to make jibes and take shots at him …
Yeah, it's sad, hey. On top of the stuff we KNOW as well. He's going to Clinton Gutherson us.

LeonardCohen

Bencher
Illustrates some of the points perfectly in the article really, where the bloke explains what has been going on with him mentally and the pressures involved etc, and people still read that and feel the need to make jibes and take shots at him …
I take your point and it’s just a game after all…he’s a human being at the end of the day. But it’s also just the opinions of people on forum and they’re entitled to hold those views, as you are entitled to yours. Society is hell bent on regulating thought and opinion at the moment and that in itself is only adding to the toxicity. Now I’m giving an opinion so the paradox continues 😂

Rocky

Bencher
Others have said it, but the giveaway is the 5/8 part.

Schuster thinks the game is just about attacking. He is a one-way thinker, but league is a two way game (i.e defending is at least 50% of the game and as important).

All he wants is the highlight reel.

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
Others have said it, but the giveaway is the 5/8 part.

Schuster thinks the game is just about attacking. He is a one-way thinker, but league is a two way game (i.e defending is at least 50% of the game and as important).

All he wants is the highlight reel.

Firstly I accept Schuster had to go, but that to me was relating to commitment issues.

I think its important not to create issues that are contrary to the facts. There was a lot of perception that Schuster wasn't a good defender. In 2021 his tackle efficiency was around 88% as I can recall. And he was one of only three 80 minute forwards. This year though he played only 4 games his tackle efficiency was 94.7%, Granted these were Blacktown games and not the full 80 minutes, but it hardly suggests he has defensive problems. This year Brooks tackle efficiency is 83.5%, Croker's is 89.5% and only Jake is superior at 95.1%.

Now granted he's playing a lower grade but that doesn't get past the fact his tackling was better than most. I know many say he misses tackles. OK. Most players do. In this last game Brooks missed 4, Talau 5, Lodge missed 3 and only made 7 tackles. I hear no comments about that. As I've indicated many times one's perception is inevitably biased and dependent upon what you are looking for. Schuster wasn't pushed because of defense, he was pushed because of lack of commitment to his training and a sense of attitudinal problems.

Last edited:

JBW

Reserve Grader
Disappointing how it's all worked out, but Geez a fit Schuster would have fantastic on that left edge this year rather than the Burbo/Waddle plod show . Note I said a fit Schuster, the 2021 version....what could have been ..

Top shelf talent he has the potential to be. But I'm not sure he'll ever get there. The Rabbits under Bennet would be his best hope I feel.

While he has to take accountability for how things have worked out. A terrible contract negotiated by the club and player manager put extra pressure on him when he wasn't ready.

Disappointing how it's all worked out, but Geez a fit Schuster would have fantastic on that left edge this year rather than the Burbo/Waddle plod show . Note I said a fit Schuster, the 2021 version....what could have been ..

Top shelf talent he has the potential to be. But I'm not sure he'll ever get there. The Rabbits under Bennet would be his best hope I feel.

While he has to take accountability for how things have worked out. A terrible contract negotiated by the club and player manager put extra pressure on him when he wasn't ready.
I don’t think you can blame the club! If anything the contract was over generous! I remember reading an article where Hasler was it riding a bike with him when he was training … he was doing training with Carrol to get him fit … as the sayin goes you can lead a horse to water … but you can’t make him drink it!

Just sayin’

47MVEagle

Bencher
He’s anointed by a club legend as a star of the future, his best mate dies while training in front of him, he turns to comfort food to deal with his stress/depression & has an ongoing battle with his weight, cops chicken pox & injuries during preseason (some of which are probably due to his weight) & is finally let go by the club.

It’s pretty obvious he’s been struggling for quite some time now so I’m glad he’s found some peace & is able to speak to someone to deal with his mental health issues.

I think taking the rest of the season off to get his mind & body right is the best thing for him & I wish him all the best with his future.

Rocky

Bencher
Firstly I accept Schuster had to go, but that to me was relating to commitment issues.

I think its important not to create issues that are contrary to the facts. There was a lot of perception that Schuster wasn't a good defender. In 2021 his tackle efficiency was around 88% as I can recall. And he was one of only three 80 minute forwards. This year though he played only 4 games his tackle efficiency was 94.7%, Granted these were Blacktown games and not the full 80 minutes, but it hardly suggests he has defensive problems. This year Brooks tackle efficiency is 83.5%, Croker's is 89.5% and only Jake is superior at 95.1%.

Now granted he's playing a lower grade but that doesn't get passed the fact his tackling was better than most. I know many say he misses tackles. OK. Most players do. In this last game Brooks missed 4, Talau 5, Lodge missed 3 and only made 7 tackles. I hear no comments about that. As I've indicated many times one's perception is inevitably biased and dependent upon what you are looking for. Schuster wasn't pushed because of defense, he was pushed because of lack of commitment to his training and a sense of attitudinal problems.
Bearfax he can defend as you point out. But my post was where his head is at, and for me his focus is on attack. I personally don't think he likes the contact part of the game.

XV-1

First Grader
Good story. Good luck to him, I hope he gets his life together and gets himself back to footy when he is good and ready, wishing him all the best for the future. He has won his first battle by taking responsibility of his actions and not blaming anybody else

Well said Master blaster.

Yet we have a bunch of keyboard cowards on this thread still having a go at the kid. Quite sad, for them to be honest.

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
Bearfax he can defend as you point out. But my post was where his head is at, and for me his focus is on attack. I personally don't think he likes the contact part of the game.

I can agree with the focus issue. I don't think it was a dislike of the contact element. My personal feeling, and its only my perspective, was that Schuster was not well handled from the start. This was a kid on the rise and his first game as 5/8 had been commended by many. Then Des brought in Foran, suggesting he was a backup maybe even for hooker. But he kept him at 5/8 and had Schuster play second row. This meant the kid had to bulk up to fill a forward role, including playing closer to the centre and doing far more defensive work, which 5/8s don't usually have to do. So he bulks up, and there are suggestions at that time he isn't happy with the switch. Eventually Foran is moved on, but by that time Schuster has loaded on weight for a forwards role. He's given the 5/8 spot but now he has to lose the loads of weight. As well he suffers a succession of injuries. Now again a coach comes along and wants him back as second rower.

Personally I think he got the ****s. And I know many would say he should just accept the opportunity of playing first grade. But so many were anticipating this kid as the next big 5/8 wonder and it didn't happen. And some of that was because of how he was handled. Players do get annoyed with how they are used. Jamie Lyon 2004, after success in his first years he walks out of a contract at Parra and ends up brilliantly succeeding in England before making his mark with the Sea Eagles. As was mentioned I think by Terry Hill, young players can make strange decisions, get fed up of some things the rest of us may consider petty. But to them its important. I think this happened to Schuster. I suspect he'll be back and succeed elsewhere.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
11 8 3 75 20
12 9 3 70 20
12 8 4 100 18
12 7 5 64 16
12 7 5 57 16
12 7 5 -37 16
12 6 5 36 15
12 7 5 135 14
12 6 6 77 14
12 6 6 -39 14