The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

XV-1

First Grader
I can agree with the focus issue. I don't think it was a dislike of the contact element. My personal feeling, and its only my perspective, was that Schuster was not well handled from the start. This was a kid on the rise and his first game as 5/8 had been commended by many. Then Des brought in Foran, suggesting he was a backup maybe even for hooker. But he kept him at 5/8 and had Schuster play second row. This meant the kid had to bulk up to fill a forward role, including playing closer to the centre and doing far more defensive work, which 5/8s don't usually have to do. So he bulks up, and there are suggestions at that time he isn't happy with the switch. Eventually Foran is moved on, but by that time Schuster has loaded on weight for a forwards role. He's given the 5/8 spot but now he has to lose the loads of weight. As well he suffers a succession of injuries. Now again a coach comes along and wants him back as second rower.

Personally I think he got the ****s. And I know many would say he should just accept the opportunity of playing first grade. But so many were anticipating this kid as the next big 5/8 wonder and it didn't happen. And some of that was because of how he was handled. Players do get annoyed with how they are used. Jamie Lyon 2004, after success in his first years he walks out of a contract at Parra and ends up brilliantly succeeding in England before making his mark with the Sea Eagles. As was mentioned I think by Terry Hill, young players can make strange decisions, get fed up of some things the rest of us may consider petty. But to them its important. I think this happened to Schuster. I suspect he'll be back and succeed elsewhere.

Well said Bearfax.

I said in 2021 that Des fuuked Schu ova by bringing Foz into the team. Schu could have been anything if he had of played 5/8th during 21 and 22.

After all, having Foz at 5/8th did stuff all, as we did nothing.

No 5/8th in the NRL has ever been forced to played 2nd row. The rest is history.

Last edited:

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
Well said Maxta.

I said in 2021 that Des fuuked Schu ova by bringing Foz into the team. Schu could have been anything if he had of played 5/8th during 21 and 22.

After all, having Foz at 5/8th did stuff all, as we did nothing.

No 5/8th in the NRL has ever been forced to played 2nd row. The rest is history.

Thanks XV-1 but don't call me Maxta. He's someone entirely different.

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
Actually the pseudonym comes from firstly being a big bloke who tends to be a loner and doze a bit, and also being a play on words about the bare facts.

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Actually the pseudonym comes from firstly being a big bloke who tends to be a loner and doze a bit, and also being a play on words about the bare facts.
Mate i dont know how you got maxta out of that. Just going with it

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
Mate i dont know how you got maxta out of that. Just going with it

Its hard living with being a mistaken identity. Someone mistakened me for Robert Redford once...in my dreams though. One person thought I was a clone of Shrek, which wasn't much appreciated, but then probably closer to reality.

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Its hard living with being a mistaken identity. Someone mistakened me for Robert Redford once...in my dreams though. One person thought I was a clone of Shrek, which wasn't much appreciated, but then probably closer to reality.
On ST we can only be ugly on the inside and that you are not
Very reasoned and considered poster , you know ………for a shrek

frank stokes

I discriminate indiscriminately
Firstly I accept Schuster had to go, but that to me was relating to commitment issues.

I think its important not to create issues that are contrary to the facts. There was a lot of perception that Schuster wasn't a good defender. In 2021 his tackle efficiency was around 88% as I can recall. And he was one of only three 80 minute forwards. This year though he played only 4 games his tackle efficiency was 94.7%, Granted these were Blacktown games and not the full 80 minutes, but it hardly suggests he has defensive problems. This year Brooks tackle efficiency is 83.5%, Croker's is 89.5% and only Jake is superior at 95.1%.

Now granted he's playing a lower grade but that doesn't get past the fact his tackling was better than most. I know many say he misses tackles. OK. Most players do. In this last game Brooks missed 4, Talau 5, Lodge missed 3 and only made 7 tackles. I hear no comments about that. As I've indicated many times one's perception is inevitably biased and dependent upon what you are looking for. Schuster wasn't pushed because of defense, he was pushed because of lack of commitment to his training and a sense of attitudinal problems.
Was never just his missed tackles but his defensive reads… you do not record a missed tackle if you never get a hand to the attacker and plenty of times Schu was just caught out defensively on the edge…

Anyways, he had more than enough chances here, he blew them and he is gone… it was a costly and painful exercise and personally I don’t care about his motivation or lack thereof…

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
Was never just his missed tackles but his defensive reads… you do not record a missed tackle if you never get a hand to the attacker and plenty of times Schu was just caught out defensively on the edge…

Anyways, he had more than enough chances here, he blew them and he is gone… it was a costly and painful exercise and personally I don’t care about his motivation or lack thereof…

You're right FS. He had enough chances and I'm not critical of that. The kid had enormous talent and still does but emotionally he's not in the right space. Better though to persist for a while than to let them go too early and see them succeed elsewhere and that was my ciricism of some decisions to let kids go too early. Worst can happen if you keep them is they dont achieve what the expectations suggest. No great loss. But let them go too early and you've potentially lost almost forever someone with potential who does achieve the expectations. That's a greater loss as I think Manly should be realising.

As for the defensive reads, as I mentioned when something is identified as a flaw, the tendency is to look out for it in future. Human nature. So you will see what you expect to see. However, if the flaw is not identified, we don't look for it. All to do with perceptions. If I could indicate a comparison, there is today a negative attitude regarding the violet nature of Muslim people. The violence overseas leads us to generalise. So a Muslim lad stabs someone in Sydney and immediately we identify him as Muslim and it confirms our perceptions. But someone else who stabs, who isn't Muslim or an identified culture we are wary of, we don't even ask the question about their cultural background. May surprise many that statistically regarding violent offences per percentage of people of that culture in Australia, people of Irish descent have the highest rating. Check it out. But rarely are Irish people identified as having that flaw, because its not brought to our attention. Mind you the difference between differing cultures is actually quite small and this is not to disrespect people of Irish descent, but rather to show how perception works. Maltese are also up there. Who'd have thought.

Sea Eagle 4 Life

Reserve Grader
You're right FS. He had enough chances and I'm not critical of that. The kid had enormous talent and still does but emotionally he's not in the right space. Better though to persist for a while than to let them go too early and see them succeed elsewhere and that was my ciricism of some decisions to let kids go too early. Worst can happen if you keep them is they dont achieve what the expectations suggest. No great loss. But let them go too early and you've potentially lost almost forever someone with potential who does achieve the expectations. That's a greater loss as I think Manly should be realising.

As for the defensive reads, as I mentioned when something is identified as a flaw, the tendency is to look out for it in future. Human nature. So you will see what you expect to see. However, if the flaw is not identified, we don't look for it. All to do with perceptions. If I could indicate a comparison, there is today a negative attitude regarding the violet nature of Muslim people. The violence overseas leads us to generalise. So a Muslim lad stabs someone in Sydney and immediately we identify him as Muslim and it confirms our perceptions. But someone else who stabs, who isn't Muslim or an identified culture we are wary of, we don't even ask the question about their cultural background. May surprise many that statistically regarding violent offences per percentage of people of that culture in Australia, people of Irish descent have the highest rating. Check it out. But rarely are Irish people identified as having that flaw, because its not brought to our attention. Mind you the difference between differing cultures is actually quite small and this is not to disrespect people of Irish descent, but rather to show how perception works. Maltese are also up there. Who'd have thought.
Wow, that post took an unexpected turn.

frank stokes

I discriminate indiscriminately

Absolutely agree wholeheartedly with your post Bear… but Schu was still lazy in defence for mine, had a tendency to dig in when he should have been sliding and also ball-watch when he should have been anticipating the play… anyways, it is what it is and I had no issue with Manly’s approach to Schu right up until that final contract which came at a really weird time and was too much (maybe) and for too long (definitely)

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
I think what Bear is trying to say, and excuse me for paraphrasing, is that Schu really IS “the chosen one” and, if used effectively (I assume at 5/8), can deliver world peace…

Just taking the p^ss @Bearfax

Have you been reading my journals again Frank? Shame on you. Actually I think the Schu is 'the chosen one' and if used effectively at 5/8 he can deliver world peace. No assumptions about it Frank. He's the Messiah and a naughty little boy at the same time.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
11 8 3 75 20
12 9 3 70 20
12 8 4 100 18
12 7 5 64 16
12 7 5 57 16
12 7 5 -37 16
12 6 5 36 15
12 7 5 135 14
12 6 6 77 14