The NRL is a Joke

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
OK guys I think the NRL is run by well-meaning amateurs and not by professionals.

Do you really think that if you strapped on a boot this makes you a good administrator? Probably not. I have the idea that the NRL is a retirement home for old-aged footballers to hold well-paid jobs.

I feel that the referees are not up to it either.

I also think the NRL is being dragged kicking and scratching into the 21st century. They dislike technology and think that bad decisions are alright.

But let's face it, we should probably have won if given an even shake. The refereeing decision I most disliked was the penalty in the first half that gave Easts the lead 8 - 6. The subsequent small head butt and nothing happening about it.

But lets let the Roosters have their fun. They bought the best team money could buy and stayed under the salary cap and won the comp.

Anyway how long has it been since they won a grand-final? (Who cares. We won the moral battle they got the points.)

DSM5 said:
I agree that the Souths victory made my season, however I can't agree that the refereeing in the GF was any way fair and reasonable. We were denied a fair match. I found it incomprehensible that the video refs didn't alert the on field refs to the Jennings toe tap, especially as it was replayed on the big screen at the ground as the scrum formed. It surely is a simple thing to alter the feed. Anyway it's gone now, but it really rankles with me. The club must put in a formal complaint about Hayne. It is nearly impossible for us to win under that creature.

I'm 100% certain I've seen scrum feeds overturned in that exact situation before, when the video ref has obviously tipped off the on-field officials as the scrum forms

Can't remember the specific game, but yes I have definitely seen a scrum feed overturned this year and thinking at the time that it is was a good initiative that an obvious mistake can be overturned so quickly and without any fanfare. And I'm sure the commentators at the time said the video ref gave the on-field ref the heads-up on the error.

We don't need any more eyes on the ball, what we need is for the guys upstairs ( two experienced people) to be checking for things like forward passes, little dropped balls etc etc and then informing the on field refs.

There's a huge reluctance to pull the guys in the middle up, and therein lies a major issue.

We have to appreciate the game is at a hectic pace, they are human and can miss things this is why the eyes in the sky should not just be there to adjudicate try or no try BUT be watching everything......and hopefully get people there that can count to 6....remember that's 1 2 3 4 5 and 6

Eagles Terrorist said:
I seem to recall the "Hand of Foran" in the Cowboy semi last year went our way? That was huge in our favour.

Just putting a balance on all this - as gutted as anyone, but I also disagree that the penalty try should have been awarded. It was not 100% certian Lyon would have grounded that ball.

And I'm left wondering, if the mandatory 10 minutes in the Sin Bin may not have been more valuable to us.

I hate losing.

I agree with this completely.

These people saying we were ripped off are kidding themselves. The penalty try was the biggest call in the game and it went our way, and should not have been given. The ball took a left turn the bounce before Jamie was tackled, and there was certainly no guarantees that we would have scored. People seem very quick to forget this. It evens up the forward pass try.

pfffft, I disagree with your penalty try assessment completely.

Well Aubosson agreed with the penalty try being awarded against them. maybe he also hinds that was better than being down to 12 men for ten minutes too.

If you tackle a player without the ball in that situation then you & your team deserve no leeway at all when it comes to deciding if a penalty try is warranted or not. He is lucky he didn't get ten minutes in the sin bin as well.

I'm just as upset s you all are but we had it in the bag and unfortunately fatigue set in and the fabulous crowding defence (I hate saying this) on SBW fell away, but for 10 minutes (or only twice).

As Bob McCarthy said... "he was only good for 10 minutes" and unfortunately, that was enough.

Yes, Maloney's pass was forward, but the ref was not in in a direct line with him, he was behind him, just as most of our players. The touchy should have made the call.

For the life of me I cannot understand why the video ref, given the number of camera angles available, cannot make a call on a forward pass.

In the next few years and maybe even next year, a software developer will create a forward pass line that allows for the forward momentum of the ball with the player and therefore take out all the conjecture.

Maybe, and I'm not looking forward to it, but the ref on the field will just be telling the players what the computer says happened and we'll just have robots playing.

As people we are human and we make mistakes. SBW made plenty, Foran made a couple, Jamie's pass to Wolfman wasn't his normal perfect self and plenty of other players from both sides made errors during the game, yet the refs are supposed to be absolutely and categorically mistake free. Now in principle I agree with this but in reality, I do understand they are like us, they're human.

I'm not sure who told Wolfman to watch Tupuo, but maybe they need to improve their communication skills.

The refs let the game flow, there were BA penalties, even though both sides could have been penalised heaps for being inside the 10m. It was a fabulous game to be at and our team gave it their best. None of the players have complained, as they know they let a great opportunity slip.

I was talking to several Roosters supporters at half time at the game and they said "you guys must be really happy because you are nearly always here". And they're right... we are and always will be!

rmd said:
The refs let the game flow, there were BA penalties, even though both sides could have been penalised heaps for being inside the 10m.

Wouldn't it be better if they were penalised for inside the ten? A big team like The Roosters benefit far more than a smaller team when the ten is ignored.

Was heartening to be out and about and listening in on conversations in coffee houses and at work; all were sympathetic to Manly (surprising in Brisbane) and the general sentiment was we were hard done by.

Despite generally accepted poor officiating and a hard run in we gave it a massive shake and I think the team gained a lot of admirers and perhaps some more followers.

Well done Manly.

The nrl have many issues to address and reffing is just one of them.

In relation to reffing, however, if they want to have betting in NRL then sort the refs out. Because there needs to be as little doubt as possible (no doubt ideally), that matches have been fixed or swayed by reffing etc., etc. I read somewhere that ‘North Queensland Cowboys could sue over seven-tackle try scandal, says legal expert…’ http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/north-queensland-cowboys-could-sue-over-seven-tackle-try-scandal-says-legal-expert/story-fni3g8pa-1226721210823

So legally speaking, has anyone got a leg to stand on, to be able to sue the NRL if they placed money on Manly to win on Sunday? I am not sure and I am not a solicitor but I just thought it an interesting question to raise. Either way the reffing did affect the game on Sunday night to some extent, by how much, well that is hard to say.

Also to say people make mistakes, well ok maybe they do, but to what extent is this acceptable? Two, three, four or more bad calls? We have more than one official on the field and we have access to fantastic technology. So to assume that these calls (or non-calls for that matter) are simply part of the game and accepting poor officiating is not an excuse. It makes a mockery of the sport. Also bad officiating can directly contribute to a rise in injuries, as players may cross the line more when they aren't quite sure where it is, (just as a side note.)

When you "make a mistake" on the job, it's explainable.
When you make constant mistakes and do your job inconsistently, you're generally warned and likely fired over time. Explanations quickly become excuses.
So, no, "human error" has its limits. Time for competence to prevail, and that hasn't been the case.

If a ref manipulates the outcome of the game by handing out fake penalties or not handing out penalties where due, it is cheating and it should no longer be accepted.

There have been far too many inconsistences in reffing across the 2013 NRL season.

Sunday night was another example of atrocious reffing. Hayne had far too much control over that game and that begs the question, why? And more importantly will anything be done about it? Could Manly have won the grand final, if the reffing was at least consistent or even fair, maybe we could have, but will we ever know? And really this is just not good enough, Hayne may have cost us a premiership and for this alone, he needs to be held accountable.

In todays’ game and with the amount of money involved, gambling, sponsors, etc, we really should be demanding better overall. Something has to change to improve consistency in officiating and for the betterment of the game. An accountability system for refs would be a great start. And maybe we could even have an accountability system for the NRL.

When gambling is involved corruption of players and officials is bound to exist. Surely the recent examples in cricket and soccer show this. But why try to bribe players when the most influential person is the referee?
I'm presuming ASADA has Hayne under investigation.

Refs' Does anybody know who is in charge?

I know in practice no ref overrules a video ref decision, but does he have the authority to do so?

Many times I have witnessed the on field ref (who we think is the boss) watch the same replays, a holler is called by the video ref, and the on field ref meekly going along with it.

Just once, if even for just the entertainment value I would love to hear the on field ref say " What are you F****g on, your F***** kidding! " and overturn the ruling.

bones said:
We had four chances this year to show we are better than the Roosters (I don't count the trial match) and we came up with a duck egg. We just have to accept that we were the second best team this year as much as that hurts. I agree the refereeing was disgraceful, but you can't deny the best team all year won the comp. The fact that Manly knocked Souths out will get me through the off season.

And that's why the Roosters won the MINOR premiership.
The Grand Final is about which team is best on the day and that I believe was Manly (but denied by Hayne)

I think they need to make the video ref a third touch judge that watchs a live feed and often a better view. They can whisper into the refs ear on live incidents that all four refs miss like forward passes, offside and foul play, no stopping of live action or replays. This ref in theory will not be affected by fatigue or not in line with the play so they have a better chance of making the right calls.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6