The only change that can save Des

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Nordburg

First Grader
I think the young ones need to be tested in the fire pit that is the NRL, sure they're going to make mistakes because it's a big jump from ressies to firsts but unless we show faith they're never going to reach their full potential, we couldn't do any worse than we're doing now, I honestly couldn't care less if at the end of the season we've got our first spoon, to me all that matters is that we spend the year nurturing the young threshold players and building a team that can seriously challenge for the title in future years, we're running up and down on the spot at the moment and getting nowhere, why can't we take the leap and inject new blood and some enthusiasm in playing in Maroon and White
Yeah I suppose my main point was that I don’t think Scott Fulton is the answer as recruitment manager.I think now is the time to bring the young players through whilst there is still plenty of experienced hard heads in the team to guide them.You don’t want to be in a position like the Broncos last year where the majority of the side had less than 40 First Grade games under their belt and didn’t get any help from the 300 plus gamer,the selfish Darius Boyd.That’s why I think Foran was a good signing,as he was inexpensive and you know he’d be willing parlay his experience onto the younger players

Terry Zarsoff

First Grader
The logical choice is Michael Monaghan. Sits with Des in the box, sees the strengths and weaknesses, would have a few ideas of his own and based on his footballing career, has a good football brain.

And he played for Manly.

However I doubt Des is on the way out just yet. Michael and co. will have to wait their turn.

Shoe1

Journey Man
99% of those juniors Fulton is bringing through are the type of kids that carve up in their age group but soon as they start playing fully grown experienced men,they are found wanting.I’m going go against the tide and say I’m not convinced about Schuster yet.He played 1 half of first grade last year, had 1 no look pass that eventually led to a try,was trigger happy with the boot then got injured.Watched him specifically yesterday and other than playing the full game,it was the same as his first grade debut.I hope he does convince me he’s a star but I can see why Hasler is still reluctant to make him a regular in first grade
The junior teams are going great. Let’s not say silly things like they are the sort of players that do well in juniors but not in nrl. How do you know that? What would you prefer the junior teams to do? Fail?

The Who

Journey Man
Yeah I suppose my main point was that I don’t think Scott Fulton is the answer as recruitment manager...
I would image he is hamstrung but budget constraints, unlike recruiters from wealthier clubs.
Ask yourself how Easts have the least junior RL teams yet manage to recruit the cream of the juniors?
It's not unlike Sydney grade cricket. How do you think Sydney University puts together an Under 16 Green Shield representative team? Answer: money and the promise of scholarships.

Karshy

Reserve Grader
As the old saying goes. I'm not ready to put the old dog (Des) down yet, particuarly after one game. I think its utter garbage that its being suggested. Des history speaks for itself at this club. Finals 05-11 consecutively, 3 Grand Finals, 2 premierships and only a GF loss against a cheating team. He has never missed the finals 2 years in a row. We had a great run in 2019. We were doing exceptionally after 6 games last season and even after 11 games we were 6-5. Could have been 8-3 if not for extremely controversial and poor refereeing decisions. In the last 2 season we have beaten Melbourne, Roosters, Canberra and Parra when close to full strength meaning we can compete with the "heavyweights".

Lots of mentions of the last 10 NRL games where we have been beaten in all but one, and some by large margins. Lets not forget we had the most horrific injury toll I have seen a team have in 25 years of watching footy on top of mid season rule changes. To start this year we have arguably the toughest first 4 weeks while still missing our star #1 and first choice #9. I genuinely believe both of these inclusions make a huge difference. I would have liked Des to sign cover for Fainu until his court case is resolved as dummy half is such an important position in the modern game.

Specifically referencing Saturdays performance v Roosters, I believe there are 2 clear fixes.
1) Fix the left edge defence. Garrick has to be dropped, Parker on notice. You cant reward a performance where you simply are not competing with another game the following week. I thought Garrick was directly responsible for conceding 6 extremely soft tries and exposed his inside players in Foran and Parker badly through poor positional play, missing tackles, ineffective tackles and not competing for high balls at a first grade standard.
2) Fix the service from dummy half. Passes were reguarly slow and off the mark out of dummy half and this stifled the attack. I watched Cust on Sunday deliver quick and accurate passing every time. I think this will dramatically improve the attack if he plays.

I am excited for Saturday and believe in Des and the boys to put in a greatly improved performance! See you all at Lottoland!

Well, he played extremely well in the trial & yet didn't get a gig on Saturday. If Des is concerned about Schuster kicking too much, he should instruct him to take the line on more often. He has a dynamic running game.
Exactly. Only concern is he can be kick happy on an early tackle, but let’s face it so can DCE. All Des has to say to him is to be a little more selective with the early kicks given possession is so vital under the new rules. I’m sure he will heed that advice. His no look held up short balls are Cliffy like and he is a strong ball runner with good D. I’ve heard Fittler refer to him as the best of his age.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
As the old saying goes. I'm not ready to put the old dog (Des) down yet, particuarly after one game. I think its utter garbage that its being suggested. Des history speaks for itself at this club. Finals 05-11 consecutively, 3 Grand Finals, 2 premierships and only a GF loss against a cheating team. He has never missed the finals 2 years in a row. We had a great run in 2019. We were doing exceptionally after 6 games last season and even after 11 games we were 6-5. Could have been 8-3 if not for extremely controversial and poor refereeing decisions. In the last 2 season we have beaten Melbourne, Roosters, Canberra and Parra when close to full strength meaning we can compete with the "heavyweights".

Lots of mentions of the last 10 NRL games where we have been beaten in all but one, and some by large margins. Lets not forget we had the most horrific injury toll I have seen a team have in 25 years of watching footy on top of mid season rule changes. To start this year we have arguably the toughest first 4 weeks while still missing our star #1 and first choice #9. I genuinely believe both of these inclusions make a huge difference. I would have liked Des to sign cover for Fainu until his court case is resolved as dummy half is such an important position in the modern game.

Specifically referencing Saturdays performance v Roosters, I believe there are 2 clear fixes.
1) Fix the left edge defence. Garrick has to be dropped, Parker on notice. You cant reward a performance where you simply are not competing with another game the following week. I thought Garrick was directly responsible for conceding 6 extremely soft tries and exposed his inside players in Foran and Parker badly through poor positional play, missing tackles, ineffective tackles and not competing for high balls at a first grade standard.
2) Fix the service from dummy half. Passes were reguarly slow and off the mark out of dummy half and this stifled the attack. I watched Cust on Sunday deliver quick and accurate passing every time. I think this will dramatically improve the attack if he plays.

I am excited for Saturday and believe in Des and the boys to put in a greatly improved performance! See you all at Lottoland!
Thanks, a factual and balanced comment, and I also agree with your comments about team changes this week.
I'm not going to the game but starting to think that was a mistake. I guess it depends on how the players respond to news of Des getting a new contract, and how embarrassed they are about last week, and what sort of show they want to put on for the return to Brookie.
It's just possible this game could blow up big-time. Keep the faith, people, let's give it another week.

Peter C

Bencher
Since the Covid break last year – round 4 onwards including the trial against West Tigers and this weeks game, we have played 19 games and, in these games, we have conceded 575 points (average 30.26) and scored 352 points(average 18.53).

Commentators and coaches always say defence is all about attitude and if this is the case then does our stat show “I don’t give a s**t attitude on part of the team.

I know not having Fainu and Tom does not help, but we either need to learn to play without these two or needed to recruit players to cover their spot. Walker is not a fullback and Crocker offers nothing as a starting hooker, but Des should know this already. Does it mean that Des has failed to evolve with the game, and you can see from his selection and signing of players while at Canterbury and since his return to Manly.

I also noticed from the matches I watched in the weekend, all the other teams seem to be running and hitting so my harder than us (even Dragons and Broncos) and we looked so lethargic. Could this say something about our fitness?

Lets hope Des and his coaching staff are able to figure a way out of this rut otherwise it will be a long long year and if this is the case, there needs to be a major cleanout at the end of the year including the coach, some one season wonders at the club and we also need to look at the value we are getting from some high profile /highly paid players.

One last thing I noticed, is Jake becoming our Gallen where he gets the ball too often in sech set?
Yeah, but Gallen was always bending the line

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
11 9 2 82 20
11 8 3 112 18
11 8 3 75 18
11 7 4 65 16
12 7 5 135 14
12 7 5 57 14
11 6 5 -9 14
11 6 5 -38 14