The Ox

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Yeah well there are so many reasons to dislike Ox. Captained Manly to 2 consecutive grand finals and 4 finals series, won 1 premiership, Dally M player of the year and captain WCC winning team. Some people are kidding themselves here criticising him he gave his all for Manly and we wouldn't have had that success without him.

Chip & Chase link said:
He did his job when he was here, nothing more. We moved him on at the right time as his 2009 season was woeful.

Be interested to see if his dropouts go further in the rarefied air of the nations capital though

We did move him on at the right time, but his 2009 season wasn't woeful. He probably had his worst half dozen games in a manly jersey in 09 but in between that I thought he was excellent and showed some real good leadership qualities.

Lets not forget we still finished 5th that season and got elimated when the top teams choked in the finals.  We lost the first 4 games of that season but then went 14-6 for the rest of the year with Ox more than playing his part in most of those victories.

Manly's runs on the board with/without Orford:

Prior 2005 - No Ox - no semis
2005 - No Ox - 8th, thrashed
2006 - Ox - 5th
2007 - Ox - 2nd (actually 1st)
2008 - Ox - 1st ... Biggest GF win ever
2009 - Ox - 5th
2010 - No Ox - 8th, thrashed

Why don't you throw in Beaver's stats as well. It is only relevant if every player for Manly was Ox and his clone brothers. How many times is this going to be rehashed?

By all means go ahead and throw in Beaver's stats, MB, but whose stats are relevant to this incessant whingeing about Orford?

Winning is the accepted measure of team success. 

Since the NE debacle, Manly has proven to be a far more successful team when Orford was part of the team than when he wasn't. That's simple undisputable fact. Both before and after.

Rex link said:
By all means go ahead and throw in Beaver's stats, MB, but whose stats are relevant to this incessant whingeing about Orford?

Winning is the accepted measure of team success. 

Since the NE debacle, Manly has proven to be a far more successful team when Orford was part of the team than when he wasn't. That's simple undisputable fact. Both before and after.

I can sell you a rock that keeps Elephants away.

Rex link said:

2006 - Ox - 5th
2009 - Ox - 5th

Spooky... there is a pattern there.

No semis, 8th (thrashed), 5th, 1st (well it was really), 1st, 5th, 8th (thrashed)... that would make this year No Semis.  I hope not.

Rex link said:

2006 - Ox - 5th
2009 - Ox - 5th

Yes OX was a lot better than us than some give him credit for.  Those stats say it all really.  

Rex link said:

2006 - Ox - 5th
2009 - Ox - 5th

Don't let the truth get in the way of your theory. 2009 - Ox - 5th ? Shouldn't that read 2009 - Ox - 5th, thrashed ??

Maybe in your book getting 40 put on you in a semi isn't a thrashing.....but it is in mine.

We got owned by Dragons in 2006 as well.

ManlyBacker, I thought I'd have some fun.  I thought I'd hook Ryan though.  He must be getting smarter in his old age.  Interesting to read Ox bagging our club though.    

Nice little piece in the Courier Mail today with OX complaining that he had been "ushered" out of Manly.

Love the guy for what he did for the club and is an absolute gentleman but 2009 was one year too many, how he's going to go two years on will be interesting to watch.

C&C the reason for the 2009 thrashing is in another article,it was not Ox's fault,we were missing The Stranger and The Rig for that game and everyone else was trying to hold back tears,but please dont let the truth get in the way of a good Ox bash

I never said it was Ox's fault we got thrashed, I was merely pointing out that a 40 point drubbing is a thrashing in my book.

Don't get your limitations confused with your expectations.

Shane link said:
C&C the reason for the 2009 thrashing is in another article,it was not Ox's fault,we were missing The Stranger and The Rig for that game and everyone else was trying to hold back tears,but please dont let the truth get in the way of a good Ox bash

In that 2009 semi Ox had 1 hitup for 1 metre. As you said, don't let the truth get in the way of a good Ox defence, he was rubbish in that game.

I was and still am an Ox fan. His kicking except for short grubbers were rubbish, but he is a Manly great. He left at the right time. Ox wasn't ushered from the club at all. He was offered big money by Bradford and the club couldn't match. He chased the money and it backfired on him.

Rex link said:

2006 - Ox - 5th
2009 - Ox - 5th

1987 - no Ox-premiership
1996-no Ox-premiership
1993-no Ox- Sydney wins the olympics

See I can throw meaningless stats together too. 

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7