The Penn Ownership

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
How seriously is Scott Penn committed to the on field success of the club? I'm trying not to rake over the coals of July last year and the jersey fiasco, however this ABC news report quote from the time is quite telling:-

Manly Sea Eagles chairman Scott Penn says standing firm on the NRL club's values is "more important" than on-field results, with his depleted team succumbing to the Sydney Roosters following the controversy.

Winning does not appear to be the main reason for Manly according to Penn. Yes I know in the heat of the drama, Penn was trying to sound all soft and gooey in an ESG corporate governance kind of way. But fair dinkum, the team plays in the comp to win games. If that is not the owner's goal then our mediocre win rate is entirely predictable.

Yeah that was the day the music died for sure.

They were great in helping save the club,NO doubt but they just arnt rich enough or committed enough it seems to go the full monty ...... Says me who does jack all. Ironic yes

while they never seemed fully vested i think the salary cap rort and defence was just too big a hill to climb. I presume it cost a motza and apart from the des appeasment seem to have done nothing above the minimum requirement

Surely private ownership can secure more third party than we do
How much third party do we do now?

How much third party do we do now?

not sure. Last time i saw figures published it was anout 140k from memory, mainly based around carrs. It was when AFB had one
Forans contract was rumoured to be heavily backed but i never saw any figures in the news

but i found this and my immediate thought was who does the math

they say in 2019 4.2 mill overall

chooks only 69K but benefitted from whole of game sponsorship. lucky for them i suppose one of there big supporters was a ch9 exec

but bronx , storm , bunnies and gummy sharks at about 1 mill collectively
bronx at 350 and the others around 200

that leaves a bit over 3.1 million between 11 clubs
3.1 mill split between 11 is about 280K which is higher than teams ranked 2, 3 and 4 in the example

but interestingly down from over 8.4 million previously

Manly Sea Eagles chairman Scott Penn says standing firm on the NRL club's values is "more important" than on-field results,

This quote is absolutely astonishing !
This quote undermines our Legendary clubs on field Premiership Winning Results and Benchmark of our Greatness

If this quote is true ...
I would like some one to buy him out and give Mr Penn the clubs $$$ value that he wants
So we can have an owner who is all out results oriented and start getting on field result once again

By his own Results Driven Business standards
He has little value ...

Celebrating another valuable Penn year without on field Manly results
1698643233668.png

I just still ask myself why. Why is he involved.? Is it his ego?.... its got me f#cked that a successful businessman (which he is) would want to be involved in a business that isn't functioning and hasn't for 10 years. And just quietly, I don't foresee the future is all that red rosey. And to finish, personally, I really dont like the man.

Regarding the Business model of ownership.
Let's say I buy the club tomorrow for 30m, would it be prudent to gift either 49% or 51% to the MWDRLFC?
What would be the best outcome for the club in that regard, have an owner or multiple owners own majority share or the football club own 51%?
Imagine Jason King and Tooves on the board from the footy club side and a couple of high powered business men on the other.

I just still ask myself why. Why is he involved.? Is it his ego?.... its got me f#cked that a successful businessman (which he is) would want to be involved in a business that isn't functioning and hasn't for 10 years. And just quietly, I don't foresee the future is all that red rosey. And to finish, personally, I really dont like the man.
100% ego

Are you aware of their dealings with the leagues club?
Yeah I do remember this. I think in 2015. Btw, I don’t want to be in a position where I need to defend Penn. As I indicated I don’t particularly like him. I just don’t think his intentions and interests are zero sum…

Do you define success as winning or making money? Perhaps fans have a different view compared to owners

Do you define success as winning or making money? Perhaps fans have a different view compared to owners
The success in business I talk about has nothing to do with Manly. Its all other business interests, to which I believe he has been successful. AS i stated the Many business is not functioning, why be involved.

Saying 'I own a football team' carries a certain gravitas in the US. I reckon we are a badge of honour for Scott. He is definitely more interested in what Manly can do for him than what he can do for Manly. These are the pitfalls of private ownership. Not every club can be as lucky as the Chooks with Politis.

I assume all this revenue largesse from the NRL at least partly comes from gambling revenue. Does that explain the visit to Las Vegas and the fact that V'Landys (Mr Horse Racing) runs the NRL? If, for example, the government banned gambling sponsorship of teams, would lots of clubs like ours be deep in the doo-doo? Serious questions, I simply don't know. Am I reading to much into this?

The success in business I talk about has nothing to do with Manly. Its all other business interests, to which I believe he has been successful. AS i stated the Many business is not functioning, why be involved.
He has made money and is either still making money or a deliberate loss.

It is clear from his level of investment/ involvement that despite the paper talk his main driver is not the on field success

The success in business I talk about has nothing to do with Manly. Its all other business interests, to which I believe he has been successful.
No, his father/family has been successful in business. He hasn't. And I reckon that's the problem. Manly is Scotty's own personal plaything, the one thing that gets his face in the newspapers and fools like us knowing his name. That's why he won't let it go.

To be fair to Penn, the article is not as clear as the headline makes out.
One thing that is Crystal Clear feathered friend
Under the Penn Occupation Manly have been underachieving
and not living up to our Legendary clubs Great premiership winning Reputation

PosTeamPosPlayedPointsWinsDrawnLostByesForAgainstDiff.HomeAwayFormNext
badge-basic24.svg
1Panthers24
badge-basic24.svg
2Broncos24
badge-basic24.svg
3Storm24
badge-basic24.svg
4Warriors24
badge-basic24.svg
5Knights24
badge-basic24.svg
6Sharks24
badge-basic24.svg
7Roosters24
badge-basic24.svg
8Raiders24
badge-basic24.svg
9Rabbitohs24
badge-basic24.svg
10Eels24
badge-basic24.svg
11Cowboys24
badge-basic24.svg
12Sea Eagles24

No, his father/family has been successful in business. He hasn't. And I reckon that's the problem. Manly is Scotty's own personal plaything, the one thing that gets his face in the newspapers and fools like us knowing his name. That's why he won't let it go.
The Penn family Perspective ....

I am sure that they are lovely people and smart business people and I hope they prosper in doing what they do best and that is making money

I also hope that they sell the club and make more money to some one that is highly on field results oriented and motivated so our Legendary club can Prosper once again and win more premierships and become the respected , dominant Manly club that all Manly people are proud to be part of and the envy of the NRL

The pride and joy of Manly and the Envy of the NRL
The Delmege Premiership winning
Record breaking (40 Nil )
and History Making
Manly Warringah Sea Eagles

God bless you Max where ever you are and thank you for the forever lasting Great Manly memories
1698696587289.png

Passion??

I travelled to the 2009 World Club Challenge and spent some hours chatting with Scott Penn. I found him to be wildly passionate about the club and 100% committed to the future prosperity of the club. It is often the case that decisions are made for good reasons not released to the public. Honestly, I'm a supporter of anyone who puts their hard earned in.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8