The Queen's Death

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
As a 7 year old, me and about 8 other kids used to appear at the door of the only people in the street who had one of those new fangled things they called television. We sat quietly on the floor of the lounge room each afternoon awaiting that very introduction. Such was the world of my childhood. During that period there was one event where we all lined Pittwater Road waving little British flags as Princess Alexandra drove by. Such was my early introduction o royalty about 2 years later.
Mate, that sounds like great memories for you (unless I'm misreading that) and that's great. Really! But for me, growing up in the western suburbs in the 60's, the closest royalty would have ventured near us would have been the flight path out of town. I went to a public school where we had to sing God Save the Queeen and say the Lord's Prayer every day. A public school! And my mum was a royalist. But at a very young age, both were a complete anathema to me. So Ms Windsor is a historical figure, no doubt. But one that belongs to an archaic system that I just don't believe should exist in the 21 st centrury. I just find the whole idea bizarre. As with any passing, I have empathy for the family. But no more or no less than you or my neighbour would deserve. But of course, I trust you will be around for many years to come! You're a Manly supporter after all. :D

queen.jpg

I'm not a Royalist, far from it.
They mean nothing to me.
They get paid to attend functions and cut ribbons and unveil plaques.
They can make touching speeches, yet they can't teach me about things I know more about.
They can all preach rhetoric to the public, yet they can't make or pass laws.
They can sound sincere and genuine, yet they can't rectify the damage that Western Capitalism inflicts on their loyal subjects.
They can set up well meaning Charities,
yet the money raised, comes from the pockets of The Working Class
Bloody Peasants...........
" Let them eat cake "

Yet, I can't stop crying about The Queen's death.
One of the most important women in my life has died.
The Queen is dead and I'll never see her again.
She had a beaming smile and a cheeky sense of humour.
From all we know about her, she was an amazing human being.

It can't be easy being born into a life of service and duty.

Geez it hurts to see Bozo in tri colours.
Both Bozo & Fatty should've played out their careers at Manly.
Why does Manly's administration / management keep failing to make correct decisions.
The factional power struggle within the Club has a detrimental affect on Manly's functionality.
Can you imagine the 'sick' feeling in your guts if Jake & Tom were to play for another Club.

Both Bozo & Fatty should've played out their careers at Manly.
Why does Manly's administration / management keep failing to make correct decisions.
The factional power struggle within the Club has a detrimental affect on Manly's functionality.
Can you imagine the 'sick' feeling in your guts if Jake & Tom were to play for another Club.
Yes it seems ridiculous that Fulton left for maybe a whopping 10k (or whatever it was) more per season at the RW&B Sea Pedestrians. Apparently Arthurson didn’t want to set off an inflationary trend at the time. However to an administrator in that era, it was probably a lot of money and I believe Politis was helping the Goosters out on that front.

Of course it didn’t really matter anyway. Manly won another premiership without Fulton, in what probably remains the club’s greatest ever premiership win. Fulton picked up a pre-season trophy with his new BJ-based friends.

Vautin - victim of the salary cap, plus his own innate ability to put influential people in the club offside.

In the past Manly rarely lost players they wanted to keep. Today’s situation, put it down to a more complicated off-field setup.

Now back on topic. The one that should never have been posted in this forum to start with.

Last edited:
Yes it seems ridiculous that Fulton left for maybe a whopping 10k (or whatever it was) more per season at the RW&B Sea Pedestrians. Apparently Arthurson didn’t want to set off an inflationary trend at the time. However to an administrator in that era, it was probably a lot of money and I believe Politis was helping the Goosters out on that front.

Of course it didn’t really matter anyway. Manly won another premiership without Fulton, in what probably remains the club’s greatest ever premiership win. Fulton picked up a pre-season trophy with his new BJ-based friends.

Vautin - victim of the salary cap, plus his own innate ability to put influential people in the club offside.

In the past Manly rarely lost players they wanted to keep. Today’s situation, put it down to a more complicated off-field setup.

Now back on topic. The one that should never have been posted in this forum to start with.
Packer gave easts the bozo money, Tez

Mate, that sounds like great memories for you (unless I'm misreading that) and that's great. Really! But for me, growing up in the western suburbs in the 60's, the closest royalty would have ventured near us would have been the flight path out of town. I went to a public school where we had to sing God Save the Queeen and say the Lord's Prayer every day. A public school! And my mum was a royalist. But at a very young age, both were a complete anathema to me. So Ms Windsor is a historical figure, no doubt. But one that belongs to an archaic system that I just don't believe should exist in the 21 st centrury. I just find the whole idea bizarre. As with any passing, I have empathy for the family. But no more or no less than you or my neighbour would deserve. But of course, I trust you will be around for many years to come! You're a Manly supporter after all. :D

Dont misunderstand my intent. I'm an agnostic and a republican. And yes we sang God Save the Queen. Also drank our allocation of milk for play lunch. They were fun days and I dont regret the nature of the culture and the beliefs we had. Did us no harm. But we move on and change occurs. Without change there is stagnation. The kids of today will have a different set of memories and reminisce as I have done. I hope its as much fun for them. And I still think the only Superman was George Reeves by the way, even though he shot himself and distressing children all over the English speaking world. I still suffer that loss.

Dont misunderstand my intent. I'm an agnostic and a republican. And yes we sang God Save the Queen. Also drank our allocation of milk for play lunch. They were fun days and I dont regret the nature of the culture and the beliefs we had. Did us no harm. But we move on and change occurs. Without change there is stagnation. The kids of today will have a different set of memories and reminisce as I have done. I hope its as much fun for them. And I still think the only Superman was George Reeves by the way, even though he shot himself and distressing children all over the English speaking world. I still suffer that loss.
Thank goodness we both survived our play lunch allocated milk mate. It got pretty hot in that milk "shed" in summer! And I've just been putting together a short video containing a collection of photos for my daughters 21st bday and yes, she certainly has her own special memories. Despite or hopefully because of, her dad being a weido! :D

Thank goodness we both survived our play lunch allocated milk mate. It got pretty hot in that milk "shed" in summer! And I've just been putting together a short video containing a collection of photos for my daughters 21st bday and yes, she certainly has her own special memories. Despite or hopefully because of, her dad being a weido! :D
When Margaret Thatcher was The Education Minister in the UK, she withdrew the kids daily milk.
She took away their milk.
I've never viewed her nickname "The Iron Lady " as being a positive or complimentary one.
Thatcher was the opposite of good. So was Reagan.
Luckily we had Hawke & Keating for most of the 80's.
The architects of Australia's prosperity.
We had our milk and drank it too.

Fortunately I am not lactose intolerant. I used to love my milk. Still do. My mother used to insist as a health safeguard that we each had a tablespoon of malt extract each morning. I used to asked for seconds. How many recall their lunches. I had peanut butter and honey sandwiches. By lunch time the honey had saturated into the bread. I never thanked my mother for the treat. Ah childhood. A many wondrous time.

Fortunately I am not lactose intolerant. I used to love my milk. Still do. My mother used to insist as a health safeguard that we each had a tablespoon of malt extract each morning. I used to asked for seconds. How many recall their lunches. I had peanut butter and honey sandwiches. By lunch time the honey had saturated into the bread. I never thanked my mother for the treat. Ah childhood. A many wondrous time.
Mine was vegemite cheese and lettuce. Don't think I've had that since primary school.

When Margaret Thatcher was The Education Minister in the UK, she withdrew the kids daily milk.
She took away their milk.
I've never viewed her nickname "The Iron Lady " as being a positive or complimentary one.
Thatcher was the opposite of good. So was Reagan.
Luckily we had Hawke & Keating for most of the 80's.
The architects of Australia's prosperity.
We had our milk and drank it too.
Maggie Thatcher milk snatcher was still her nickname to many until the day she died.

It's amazing how the death of someone who (for 99%+ on here) is on the other side of the world can spark often unrelated memories and reminiscences.

From the Shovel:

Ballot for electing Australian Head of State revealed
king-charles-ballot-paper-620x356.jpg

Australians will go to the polls this week to elect their preferred Head of State, with voters reminded to number all boxes from one to one on the ballot paper, in order to make their vote count.

Charles III from the House of Windsor Party is strong favourite to win the ballot, even though he does not live in the electorate. He has not promised to move to the electorate if he wins.

Laura Hickson from the Australian Electoral Commission said Australia’s preferential voting system meant people could be sure their votes would not be wasted. “Whether you support Charles III or Charles III, or even a candidate like Charles III, your vote will count. That’s the beauty of our system”.

She said, apart from a few technicalities, it was easy to throw your hat in the ring for the Head of State position. “One of the great things about our democracy is that anyone who is the first born child of the previous ruling monarch of Great Britain can run for the position. As long as you meet that criteria, and you’re not a dual citizen, you can run”.

Image/concept by Adrian Risch

And again:
Man who had brief conversation with Queen in 1964 interviewed for half an hour by ABC
queen-1964-620x347.jpg

An Australian man who briefly chatted to Queen Elizabeth at a function 58 years ago has been asked to reflect on the life and times of the monarch, as part of the ABC’s rolling coverage of the royal’s death.

The man – who can’t remember exactly what the Queen said to him, but thinks it was probably to ask him his name before moving onto the next person – was labelled a ‘royal expert’, given his intimate relationship with the royal family.

“We want to hear from those who knew the Queen best, and then to hear from those who knew her somewhat, followed by anyone who has ever been in the same vicinity as the Queen over the past 96 years. We’ve got to draw this out for another month at least,” an ABC spokesperson said.

The national broadcaster also sat down with a woman who once knew someone who saw the Queen wave at a street parade. “Well, I didn’t actually know him. And he didn’t see her wave specifically. But he was standing very close to people who did. And they told her about it, and then someone else passed on the story to me. So you could say that I was part of the Queen’s inner circle ”.

The ABC has so far spoken to 180,000 people about the Queen. “We’ve only scratched the surface,” a spokesperson said.

Anyone who has seen the Queen before, from any distance, or on TV or in a newspaper, has been asked to contact the ABC immediately to be interviewed about their memories of the Queen.

I think that Fulton left because of the dollars that Packer put in.
I loved Fatty, but his time had come. The years playing less than average footy with the Roosters proved that.

It’s wall to wall Queen at present!!

Mind you that Wembley Stadium concert from 1985 must go down as the greatest 20 minute set in living history.

I can never get enough of Freddie & the boys.

Did anyone open a thread about the offensive comments that the newcastle player made regarding the passing of the queen?

The Shovel again:

World
Cost of living crisis forces unemployed 73-year-old to take first ever job.
1663202545618.jpeg

In a sign of the labour shortages facing Britain, as well as just how deep the cost of living crisis is biting, a septuagenarian who has never held employment will start in his first ever job this week.

Charles (surname not provided) from London, is one of a record 173,000 older workers who have entered employment in recent months in Britain. The grandfather of five said there had been a time when he felt he may never work in his lifetime. “But when the opportunity to take on a role that came with a $450 million sign-on bonus presented itself, I felt obliged to take up the position,” he said.

He will be paid around $145 million a year, which is believed to be above the minimum wage.

While some have said it is inappropriate for people in their seventies to be working, regardless of the state of the economy, others have pointed out that the man’s role will only include light duties.

And this. Same source:

Woman who owns queen-sized bed interviewed about her connection to Queen Elizabeth
woman-being-interviewed-abc-620x389.jpg

A Brisbane woman who sleeps every single night in a queen-sized bed has been interviewed about the incredible coincidence as part of the ABC’s ongoing coverage of the Queen’s death.

“She’s the Queen, I have a bed that’s a queen. It’s uncanny. We’re basically soul mates,” Chloe Lee, 38, said.

Lee said she generally sleeps on the bed with a pillow, something the Queen was also thought to have done. “But the connection doesn’t stop there. I have sheets on the bed, and would you believe the Queen had sheets on her bed too”.

Amazingly, she bought the bed at a store in South Brisbane, which is only a short drive from Queen Street Mall.

The marketing executive and mother of three said she was asleep in her queen-sized bed when the Queen passed away – the special moment beautifully captured with a re-enactment of Lee asleep.

The ABC said the investigative report, one of several thousand by the national broadcaster, showed viewers a different side of the late monarch. “We’re all familiar with the tradition and the pomp and ceremony associated with the Queen. But we forget the close connection she had with ordinary people. She was, quite literary, part of the furniture,” the ABC reporter said.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8