The Queen's Death

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The Poms do the whole pageantry thing very very well , she’s certainly getting a fair send off.

But in saying that it’s almost wall to wall if you turn on FTA TV.

Must say I’m a little over it.

And this. Same source:

Woman who owns queen-sized bed interviewed about her connection to Queen Elizabeth
woman-being-interviewed-abc-620x389.jpg

A Brisbane woman who sleeps every single night in a queen-sized bed has been interviewed about the incredible coincidence as part of the ABC’s ongoing coverage of the Queen’s death.

“She’s the Queen, I have a bed that’s a queen. It’s uncanny. We’re basically soul mates,” Chloe Lee, 38, said.

Lee said she generally sleeps on the bed with a pillow, something the Queen was also thought to have done. “But the connection doesn’t stop there. I have sheets on the bed, and would you believe the Queen had sheets on her bed too”.

Amazingly, she bought the bed at a store in South Brisbane, which is only a short drive from Queen Street Mall.

The marketing executive and mother of three said she was asleep in her queen-sized bed when the Queen passed away – the special moment beautifully captured with a re-enactment of Lee asleep.

The ABC said the investigative report, one of several thousand by the national broadcaster, showed viewers a different side of the late monarch. “We’re all familiar with the tradition and the pomp and ceremony associated with the Queen. But we forget the close connection she had with ordinary people. She was, quite literary, part of the furniture,” the ABC reporter said.

A touching moment. Enough to send me off for a royal flush.

Her Majesty reminded me of a beautiful version of the Mona lisa

Her graceful and Mystic smile was overwhelming

See the source image

Her Majesty reminded me of a beautiful version of the Mona lisa

Her graceful and Mystic smile was overwhelming

See the source image

You're not a reincarnation of Robert Menzies are you? I can see you about to also quote as Menzies did, that 17th century poet 'I did but see her passing by and yet I'll love her till I die.'

You're not a reincarnation of Robert Menzies are you? I can see you about to also quote as Menzies did, that 17th century poet 'I did but see her passing by and yet I'll love her till I die.'
or at least until Manly win another Premiership.

The late Clive James once pointed out that every country in the world that has a constitutional monarchy is a democracy...every.single.one.

A claim the various republics around the world cannot even begin to match.

So be careful what you wish for...
To me , being a republican , the only way I’d vote for it is if it’s kept as simple as this.

The GG just becomes the Governor, and he’s purely ceremonial only ( zero power just there for the installation of the pollies and the awarding of honours ).

The Westminster system of government remains , the only change needed is to change the constitution so that no side of politics can restrict supply ( a la 1975).

We remove all requirements to swear allegiance to the King , and drop the “ Royal” from everything.

We remain a Commonwealth of nations country , still participating in the Comm Games.

None of the above is contentious, most will agree with that.

The part where there will be disagreement is the flag , I would propose simply taking off the Union Jack and replacing with the emblem we see on many things ( is it the emu / kangaroo ). Simple , not divisive and largely sees the flag remaining the same.

The Westminster system of government remains , the only change needed is to change the constitution so that no side of politics can restrict supply ( a la 1975).

Okay ... but what replacement mechanism are you suggesting to be able to rid the country of the extraordinary incompetence and Lunacy of another raving mad Whitlam ... merrily writing Chegues the government couldn't cash whilst dining the Pakistani Money Lender on caviar in his back room ...

Got to be some way to trigger fulltime and pull the plug on lunatics ???

To me , being a republican , the only way I’d vote for it is if it’s kept as simple as this.

The GG just becomes the Governor, and he’s purely ceremonial only ( zero power just there for the installation of the pollies and the awarding of honours ).

We remove all requirements to swear allegiance to the King , and drop the “ Royal” from everything.

We remain a Commonwealth of nations country , still participating in the Comm Games.

None of the above is contentious, most will agree with that.

The part where there will be disagreement is the flag , I would propose simply taking off the Union Jack and replacing with the emblem we see on many things ( is it the emu / kangaroo ). Simple , not divisive and largely sees the flag remaining the same.
Except that it won't happen like that. The 1999 referendum showed us one thing: the Australian public won't vote for a republic where the President/Governor/whatever you call it is appointed by the Parliament. Direct election is the only option likely to be approved by a majorty of voters in a majority of states in a further referendum. So right there would be a fundamental change in our system of governance, with the Westminster system no more, and the very real possibility of conflict between the competing mandates of an elected Parliament and an elected Head of State...

Except that it won't happen like that. The 1999 referendum showed us one thing: the Australian public won't vote for a republic where the President/Governor/whatever you call it is appointed by the Parliament. Direct election is the only option likely to be approved by a majorty of voters in a majority of states in a further referendum. So right there would be a fundamental change in our system of governance, with the Westminster system no more, and the very real possibility of conflict between the competing mandates of an elected Parliament and an elected Head of State...
Which is why I say he ( she ) are just “ the Gov “ and purely ceremonial.

Ousting the Westminster system will NEVER pass a referendum.

Okay ... but what replacement mechanism are you suggesting to be able to rid the country of the extraordinary incompetence and Lunacy of another raving mad Whitlam ... merrily writing Chegues the government couldn't cash whilst dining the Pakistani Money Lender on caviar in his back room ...

Got to be some way to trigger fulltime and pull the plug on lunatics ???
Honestly in the modern era, with instant 24/7 news I very much doubt any elected government would do that.

And it’s very different from 1975 where there were just two parties , now there’s literally dozens so no one party would be dumb enough to do what Whitlam did with so many looking over their shoulders.

And if they squander money or don’t listen to the public then they get thrashed at the next election , I give you Rudd / Gillard and the most recent example Morrison.

If any party did what Whitlam did in 1975 it would be electoral suicide.

Last edited:
By the way , is anyone sick of the wall to wall coverage of this thing ???

Unless you are watching a streaming service you can’t escape it , it’s in your face 24/7.

Look I get it’s big news but we don’t need to hear the story from 275 different angles surely ??

Unless you are watching a streaming service you can’t escape it , it’s in your face 24/7.

Look I get it’s big news but we don’t need to hear the story from 275 different angles surely ??
I give you posts #135 and #140, Mark.

If the 1999 referendum had simply been constructed as - Australian republic: yes or no? Then it would have gotten up.

Unfortunately Howard turned it into an argument about what type of republic - direct election of a president, or 2/3 of both houses of federal parliament choosing from a pool of suitable candidates. A minimalist model, relatively close to the current setup.

The latter could have been sold to the Australian public over time. Unfortunately the two republican factions fell into an intercine battle over the model, falling right into Howard’s cunning hands.

Unfortunately Howard turned it into an argument about what type of republic - direct election of a president, or 2/3 of both houses of federal parliament choosing from a pool of suitable candidates. A minimalist model, relatively close to the current setup.

If the 1999 referendum had simply been constructed as - Australian republic: yes or no? Then it would have gotten up.

So, you're disappointed that someone actually raised critical issues regarding the formation of a republic .... rather than just foster a donkey vote on an ill-informed populace ?

Or is it that the view from that lofty tower makes you impervious to the wishes of the people ..

I'll move it to the general discussion forum (like where wine and fishing threads should go..lol)

and see if any union jack clad peeps get their feathers ruffled.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8