The rule that cruelled us.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Jethro said:
Did anyone else listen to MMM last night before the game? It is obvious to me that the Dogs did. Bill Harrigan was saying back in the day when he was still refereeing, that Brett Kimmorley used to do the exact same play everytime. It got to the point where Harrigan would stand close to one of the players so that he could duck around behind him so that he wouldn't get hit.

You mean a NRL official recognised a problem with the rule and nothing was done to fix it? Nothing was done after they changed to 2 referees making it even more likely a referee and ball would come into contact? Toddy? Toddy? Anyone?

At 16-16 with 12 men the scumdogs were down & out and they knew it.

They needed a miracle or a manly mistake.

They got the miracle , scrum , new 6 tackles and bang field goal.

It's so devastating how we lost , when we were the better team ( and also will be ) and were coming home strong.

Luck obviously wasn't on our side

Surely if the ball hits the ref then a scrum would be set at the point that the ball hit the ref with the attacking team feeding with the amount of tackles they had kept. That is, on the 5th (most common time to kick) the ref gets hit - a scrum is formed at that point and the attacking team are still on the 5th.

I didn't know that they reset the tackle count to 0 - that's ridiculous.

I flew over from Perth just for the game and am unfortunately sitting at domestic in Sydney having to relive this nightmare with the unwanted company of that ass clown Fittler. The best thing about being at the game is that these ridiculous controversies seem to go unnoticed.

Forget bombs and grubber kicks next year. The 5th tackle option will see every half back and 5/8 running at one of the two pink pricks kicking the back straight into them.

They will then get a scrum and feed and will ensure the team retains the ball almost all game and be unbeatable. Back to the unlimited tackle rule again.

The game is run by idiots and stupid rules

You cant set a scrum and give it back to the attacking team even its just to play on from the same tackle. If im a half back and im on their try line I would get the ball turn around and boot it at the pocket ref. Then I get 1 tackle to attack their line with reduced defence. If it hits the referee it is a play the ball for the defending team or treat it the same as hitting a goal post.

panash said:
At 16-16 with 12 men the scumdogs were down & out and they knew it.

They needed a miracle or a manly mistake.

They got the miracle , scrum , new 6 tackles and bang field goal.

It's so devastating how we lost , when we were the better team ( and also will be ) and were coming home strong.

Luck obviously wasn't on our side

Luck hasn't been with us all year starting in Rnd 1. Played our best half of footy against Melb up 20 zip. Snake gets injured and we get rolled in golden point.
Talk about peaking too early!!

Story in DT about this rule.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/video-did-most-ridiculous-rule-in-the-nrl-cost-manly-sea-eagles-shot-at-premiership/story-fni3fbgz-1227065522905

Brian Smith identified this rule as a problem last year http://www.smithyspeaks.com.au/whats-the-matter-it-all-matters/

Instead of fixing up this stupid rule over last summer the NRL came up with 40/20 quick taps and 7 tackle sets.

Brissie Kid said:
Instead of fixing up this stupid rule over last summer the NRL came up with 40/20 quick taps and 7 tackle sets.

The NRL seem to fix rules and change rules based on how often they are encountered.

The likelihood of a ref being hit might happen once or twice a season but you can always trust these rules to rear their ugly head at the most inconvenient of times.

The problem is that the rule was brought in many many moons ago when scrums were actually a contest and it was 50/50 as to who was going to win the scrum

Today scrums in rugby league are nothing more than a glorified tap restart. The rule as we saw it last night does nothing more than gift the attacking team an extra set of six that they did not earn.

As it was, Hodges was the one who came up with the ball. Had it not hit the ref we would have ended up with it anyway as it was headed straight towards Snake.

Personally, I say do away with the rule and rule it a turnover. I don't agree with letting the attacking team replay the last tackle because again, it gifts them an extra tackle which they did not earn.

I fear, maybe even starting next week, that teams in their attacking half of the field will start aiming grubber kicks straight at the refs and as it stands, they will be powerless to do anything but what we saw last night.

But the NRL isn't about to make any changes as a result of what transpired on Saturday night.

"It's very rare that a ball is kicked into a referee during a game," an NRL spokesperson said. "The rule is designed to reward the attacking team and there are no plans to change it."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/canterbury-bulldogs/bulldogs-fiveeighth-josh-reynolds-had-discussed-ball-striking-the-ref-rule-with-michael-ennis-20140921-10k0ox.html

What can you say. The fact that this is the logic that comes out from NRL HQ is both bewildering and yet unsurprising.

No one has to be rewarded. Just call "play on". It's easily fixed to make it fair..

But they are the same lot that thought the NRL power play was worth a go at one time. That was the one where a team can make the other team take off 2 players from the field for 5 minutes.

The thing I'm staggered about the most is that the delusional dogs fans believe Reynolds meant it. It was a rubbish kick that was going nowhere but to us. To think he deliberately aimed at the ref is ludicrous.

It is the equivalent of the underarm bowl against the kiwis by Chappell. Dogs karma scales would have to be heavy. I can only imagine the uproar if Foran kicked it into the refs and the Cowboys lost in golden point. We got the BOD rule changed for them. No such luck for us.

Jethro said:
Did anyone else listen to MMM last night before the game? It is obvious to me that the Dogs did. Bill Harrigan was saying back in the day when he was still refereeing, that Brett Kimmorley used to do the exact same play everytime. It got to the point where Harrigan would stand close to one of the players so that he could duck around behind him so that he wouldn't get hit.

Thanks for posting this Jethro.

I did not happen to listen to this on Triple M, but does anyone else think it is a bit odd that Harrigan was talking about this before the game? I mean what are the chances he talks about that and then it actually happens in the game the very same night?

Hmmm I do have a tin foil hat by the way.........but seriously this is a bit weird and then for Reynolds to come out and say he talked to Ennis about this very same thing earlier on in the week?

Could Harrigan have talked to anyone at the Bulldogs about using the rules to their advantage?

Anyways whatever, the NRL is a disgrace and I am still very angry and gutted over what happened on Saturday night.

:mad:

Eagleheart said:
Jethro said:

I did not happen to listen to this on Triple M, but does anyone else think it is a bit odd that Harrigan was talking about this before the game? I mean what are the chances he talks about that and then it actually happens in the game the very same night?

Hmmm I do have a tin foil hat by the way.........but seriously this is a bit weird and then for Reynolds to come out and say he talked to Ennis about this very same thing earlier on in the week?

Could Harrigan have talked to anyone at the Bulldogs about using the rules to their advantage?

Anyways whatever, the NRL is a disgrace and I am still very angry and gutted over what happened on Saturday night.

Bill Harrigan's hate for Manly is palpable from the few times I've listened to his commentary . It probably dates back to the "cement truck" comment by Bozo. So your scenario is highly likely .

driftout said:
Eagleheart said:
Jethro said:

Bill Harrigan's hate for Manly is palpable from the few times I've listened to his commentary . It probably dates back to the "cement truck" comment by Bozo. So your scenario is highly likely .

Thanks for helping to keep my rage burning @driftout
;)

And Reynolds has come out today and said it was deliberate, apparently discussed it with Ennis and thought they'd give it a go.

I know playing by the rules BUT its one of the most unsportsmanlike things I have ever heard of.....either that or the smartest play by a side ever!!

Eagleheart said:
Jethro said:

Yeah, I did think that it was a bit too much of a coincident that Harrigan spoke about this just before the game and then for the Dogs to go out and do exactly what he spoke about. It wouldn't surprise me if he did tell/remind the Dogs about the rule as I also thought that it was strange that the Dogs players also knew the rule off-by-heart and immediately told the referee of his error so that they could get the ball back for the extra set. :mad:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8