The Shane Flanagan Influence

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
I dont begrudge Flanagan taking up a head coaching role, was always going to happen at some stage.

That said, now that is has happened I do believe he should be moved on.

Don't want him in our players ears talking about opportunities at the Dragons.
are you suggesting penn pay out another coach

this should be good

Probably worth noting that Ciraldo and Webster both had new jobs on the horizon last year and stuck around to help Penrith win the competition. It can be done.
It can indeed, would just be my personal preference.

And @jbb/james if the Dragons, and Flanagan are keen to start straight away then no payout would be required

I think when he signed on that everyone knew he'd be jumping ship as soon as an opportunity became available, I say good luck to the guy, whatever he's done in the past is in the past, he's done his time. Manly was always going to be nothing more than a stepping stone to his next head coaching role

100% agree mate. We all knew it was a stepping stone for him to get the big seat somewhere else and good luck to him.
But I still think we should cut him loose now.

It can indeed, would just be my personal preference.

And @jbb/james if the Dragons, and Flanagan are keen to start straight away then no payout would be required
Of course we could seek a mutual agreement if the dragons drive the deal

he may have clauses as it was talked about anyway as a possible outcome

dont manly v dragons have a history of transfer fees. mestrov should jump on this

I can’t believe we even signed him up for 12 games. What was the point of that.

It’s only because the dragons are such a basket case he ended up there as they wanted Jason ryles and he said no.

Financially I don't believe Pen will pay him out and I expect Siebold will want him to stay. Really the less disruption to the players the better. As pointed out above plenty of coaches have done a good job after committing to another club for the following year.

Of course we could seek a mutual agreement if the dragons drive the deal

he may have clauses as it was talked about anyway as a possible outcome

dont manly v dragons have a history of transfer fees. mestrov should jump on this
His contract was for three years but if he got a head coaching role,he couldn’t leave until after one season.At this point,that is exactly how both parties,Manly and Flanagan,are treating the situation.I’d suggest a transfer fee,compensation etc,is a waste of time given he’s only an assistant coach and there’s less than 5 months left on that first year of the contract

Financially I don't believe Pen will pay him out and I expect Siebold will want him to stay. Really the less disruption to the players the better. As pointed out above plenty of coaches have done a good job after committing to another club for the following year.
Why would Penn have to pay him out?It would be an amicable split and the Dragons would take him on straight away,in some capacity.He’s only got less than 5 months left on the contract anyway

His contract was for three years but if he got a head coaching role,he couldn’t leave until after one season.At this point,that is exactly how both parties,Manly and Flanagan,are treating the situation.I’d suggest a transfer fee,compensation etc,is a waste of time given he’s only an assistant coach and there’s less than 5 months left on that first year of the contract
your probably right

my comment derived from the point of view that Manly cut him now

Whether we try to retain him for the rest of the year may come down to what we use him for. Is he meant to be in charge of defence? In that case he hasn't finsihed his job!
But on a serious note, would we need a replacement to run defence? Flano's deal apparently had a commitment to stay at least 12 months but neither party may want to enforce that.
Presumably our new efficient front office has been all over this possibility ever since we signed him, so we should already have a shortlist of names who may be interested in joining the Sea Eagles. Someone with Sea Eagles DNA would be ideal.

your probably right

my comment derived from the point of view that Manly cut him now
Unless Manly/Seibold suspect any nefarious behaviour from Flanagan(yes,I’m aware of his past),there’s no reason to let him go now.But given the opportunity they’ve given him,can’t imagine Flanagan doing the club a disservice

Unless Manly/Seibold suspect any nefarious behaviour from Flanagan(yes,I’m aware of his past),there’s no reason to let him go now.But given the opportunity they’ve given him,can’t imagine Flanagan doing the club a disservice
I agree. However as soon as the saints deal is locked down the next step obviously will be can they get him over asap? Manly can say no, and it may be Seibold feels its important he stays. Seibold himself delayed coming on board with Manly so he could see out some commitments with England rugby.

Looks like Flanno will see out the 2023 season. Good news if you ask me.

But the bulk of work on the roster will wait until the off-season with Flanagan set to see the season out as right-hand man to Anthony Seibold as the Sea Eagles push for finals. With a 2-2 record since taking over from Griffin, interim coach Ryan Carr will remain in charge before Flanagan takes the reins.

Crawley and NRL great Gorden Tallis said it would be "ideal" for the Dragons if Flanagan took over as soon as possible, to start identifying which players he wants to keep and which he wants to perhaps let go for next season. However, Riccio suggested that Flanagan will likely repay the faith Manly showed him, by remaining the Sea Eagles assistant until the end of the season.

“Talking to Manly officials, all indications are that Shane feels a little indebted to the Sea Eagles for the way they’ve helped him get his coaching career back on track,” Riccio said. “He would be more than comfortable sticking around to see them through to the finals this year.”

Guess that there is always that factor of a coaching staff member then committed to another club getting close to some players and an element of instability if some inclination to entice them away could come into play . However as in Flanagan 's case now , he has spent half of the season already in the Manly set up so probably will gain no more influence then he already has accumulated so to speak . in any case , all of Manly 's more valuable grouping and even up and comers have contracts extending into next season or on going . Expectation would be from the club 's perspective for Flanagan to just focus and maintain a totally professional presence for the remainder of the season , any deviating from that would change the situation no doubt then

I guess we have the pleasure of Flannos dulcet tones, and tremendous insight on Fox for another 5 months to look forward too.

If I was Flanno I wouldn’t start at Saints yet. The season has been a train wreck and he is not going to come in mid season and change their structures overnight. The damage a run of loses could do to the confidence the players and club have in him, could be detrimental long term.

He’d be better off starting fresh with a clean slate, full pre season to train the old habits out and bring in the new. Everyone can start fresh and Flanno has nothing to do with the stain that is 23’.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11