The Shane Flanagan Influence

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
If it's on nrl.com...it must be official!

Shane Flanagan has been announced as the new head coach of St George Illawarra with the premiership-winning coach to take over at the Dragons from the start of the 2024 NRL season.

The Dragons announced on Wednesday that Flanagan had signed a three-year deal to take over as coach of the club from the start of next season.
It is now official that Flano has his sights in both parties
He will be working for both
He will be at Narrabeen and also have his mind in Illawarra
I hope the Mestrov Model works in our favour

and the anger/annoyance at these rumours is palatable.
Mmm mmm, tasty!
Ad-Rock Reaction GIF by Beastie Boys

You have to laugh at the CEO of Illawarra claiming that Flanagan is "the perfect fit for his club"....
Why then did they offer the job to Ryles first?
I thought it was a reference to how he goes off when things go bad. There are fits and then there are fits.

I'd like to be in the coaching circle leading up to the Dragons game soon so I can hear how Flannagan thinks we can score lots of points against them (assuming he is the attacking coach). Picking apart apparent weaknesses in his new team would be an interesting job.

So if Mestrov and Siebold think it is so wonderful and such a success to hire an assistant coach for 13 games before he heads to a head coach role will they do it again.

They are spruiking to the media every day the wonderful contribution flanno has made in 13 games and what a great strategy it has been then will they go out and specifically target coaches who are next in line to get a first grade gig as assistants.

I’ve read flanno is so grateful to manly for reviving his career.

I struggle to understand what do we get out of all of this. 13 games as assistant coach and then constant de stabilisation about his new role and potential for him to build relationships and target our players like Brad Arthur did.

I really like siebs and mestrov but they have missed a trick here and are showing some inexperience. I doubt they will want this to happen again.

So if Mestrov and Siebold think it is so wonderful and such a success to hire an assistant coach for 13 games before he heads to a head coach role will they do it again.

They are spruiking to the media every day the wonderful contribution flanno has made in 13 games and what a great strategy it has been then will they go out and specifically target coaches who are next in line to get a first grade gig as assistants.

I struggle to understand what do we get out of all of this. 13 games as assistant coach and then constant de stabilisation about his new role and potential for him to build relationships and target our players like Brad Arthur did.

I really like siebs and mestrov but they have missed a trick here and are showing some inexperience. I doubt they will want this to happen again.
That's fine if you want an assistant that has no desire to become an NRL coach. But I suspect the best coaches do aspire to becoming NRL coaches themselves. (In fact I'm not sure how many NRL coaches have ever made it to the position without spending time as an assistant. Any??)

What's the alternative? Hire assistants who lack experience? Or lack confidence? Or simply like to avoid responsibility? I suppose they are cheaper at least. I'd prefer we have the best coaches available. And if they're only here for one year then it's good they are only the assistant. We've still got stability through the head coach.

That's fine if you want an assistant that has no desire to become an NRL coach. But I suspect the best coaches do aspire to becoming NRL coaches themselves. (In fact I'm not sure how many NRL coaches have ever made it to the position without spending time as an assistant. Any??)

What's the alternative? Hire assistants who lack experience? Or lack confidence? Or simply like to avoid responsibility? I suppose they are cheaper at least. I'd prefer we have the best coaches available. And if they're only here for one year then it's good they are only the assistant. We've still got stability through the head coach.
Can anyone actually remember who Manly’s assistants were during Des’ premiership years?Yes I’m sure we can all recall a few,but my point is,they’re only assistants.At the end of the day,it’s the head coach that takes all the responsibility.Seems to be an overreaction by a few on ST’s,to Flanagan’s exit.

Agree with SeaEagleRock8. Flanno is next cab of the rank for a head coaching role, because he is the next best available for the job. Essentially, we’ve had the best assistant coach available this year. How fortunate to have a premiership winner team up with our new head coach to help him navigate a brand new workplace and set up the new regime.

He doesn’t need to be here long term to leave a mark on the way our players and coach do things from here on in. It’d be nice to keep him but I’d rather have his expertise for a short period than not at all.

Agree with SeaEagleRock8. Flanno is next cab of the rank for a head coaching role, because he is the next best available for the job. Essentially, we’ve had the best assistant coach available this year. How fortunate to have a premiership winner team up with our new head coach to help him navigate a brand new workplace and set up the new regime.

He doesn’t need to be here long term to leave a mark on the way our players and coach do things from here on in. It’d be nice to keep him but I’d rather have his expertise for a short period than not at all.
Fair. Take your point but 13 games is a bit short in my opinion . If he were here two years then fair enough but 13 games before accepting a head coach job is not long enough.

if it is such a good strategy would we do it again. What if the next assistant only lasts half a season.

Look it’s prob not as bad as I am making out but it is not that great in my opinion

Fair. Take your point but 13 games is a bit short in my opinion . If he were here two years then fair enough but 13 games before accepting a head coach job is not long enough.

if it is such a good strategy would we do it again. What if the next assistant only lasts half a season.

Look it’s prob not as bad as I am making out but it is not that great in my opinion
I see where your coming from and hard to disagree with that in isolation, however all things considered, it was clear if a head coach job came up at a suitable team he would apply and everyone was on board with that.
Head coach jobs don't come along all that often so have to take em when you can.

That said if he ain't 100% into doing his job now or found approaching players he should be frog marched out of the joint.

Get your point. I am just struggling with it. Personally I would prefer some stability and year on year growth in our coaching staff. I am also still burnt by what Brad Arthur did.

You could always find an assistant that has an aspiration to become a head coach only to work out that his ceiling is to be an assistant. They leave become head coaches, get sacked and end up assistants again !! Any come to mind??

You could always find an assistant that has an aspiration to become a head coach only to work out that his ceiling is to be an assistant. They leave become head coaches, get sacked and end up assistants again !! Any come to mind??
Not exactly but Michael Hagan comes to mind as someone who was supposedly a very good coach but didn't want a long career as head coach, I think he was assistant to the Maroons for yonks. John Cartwright also spent years as a head coach but seems comfy being an assistant.

I see where your coming from and hard to disagree with that in isolation, however all things considered, it was clear if a head coach job came up at a suitable team he would apply and everyone was on board with that.
Head coach jobs don't come along all that often so have to take em when you can.

That said if he ain't 100% into doing his job now or found approaching players he should be frog marched out of the joint.
Didn't Barrett say he wouldn't poach any Panthers players when he got appointed Bulldogs coach when he was an assistant?
1686960648679.png

1686960669210.png

1686960715125.png

Didn't Barrett say he wouldn't poach any Panthers players when he got appointed Bulldogs coach when he was an assistant?
View attachment 24080
View attachment 24081

View attachment 24082
Ahh the great Boo Boo, that well oiled specialness with the locks to match and the head he should ever be is on a ick. Of course the players follow him, but how does that turn out for them.

Seriously though it happens, but players won't leave if
They re happy where they are team and position
Are being paid accordingly
And feel important by the club.

If they aren't any of the above they are going regardless.

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
11 7 4 59 14
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 -10 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11
10 4 6 15 10
10 5 5 -13 10