The Walker Gamble ..

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not at all buddy, you will have to go a long way to find Des criticism from me He is giving Walker EVERY chance to show his worth and that is his prerogative. Which is what I do have a problem with Des doing. I personally would not have re-signed Walker LAST time if it were my call.
Can't argue with that. Fair call.

I am so not a Walker apologist - I try and watch games with an open mind. Is Walker a good citizen - nope. But I watch how he plays and how everyone plays each game and base my views on what happens out there. I get disgusted and frustrated and say lots of swear words when any of them make errors. Now since Walker has come back from injury he has had one terrible game when he did stifle the attack and one average game. He has had some games where his defence was lots of ram grabbing but in the main he has played pretty well off the bench. Last night I never saw Walker being steamrolled - I never saw him once stifling the playmakers. Twice he almost punched holes straight through the Storm and once he did make a half break. Does he crunch people in defence - nope and there will be times he does get steamrolled. Last night the reality was he was pretty good. He played too many minutes last night but that was forced because of the Paseka injury. Maybe Des should have used Lawnton instead for straight after Paseka. Walker is really dangerous in my view about 15 minutes before half time and full time when defences are tiring and he can use his speed. He is still quick and he has that x factor. But yes people need to comment on the reality of how he played or anyone plays not create some vision to suit their predetermined view.

5 runs for 50m (16m post contact). How is that punching holes in the defence?

Played 22 min. 12 tackles.

I don't usually take any notice of stats, but you could see by the stare in his eyes, he didn't have a clue where he was or what he was doing.

Walker is just filling in a place for forwards at the moment that we don't have. He has been given a job to try and add attack down our middle. He is not a forward but is doing his best Thing is we don't have anybody else. Unless we want to experiment with Moses Suli another back. Walker has played at middle forward, at fullback and five eight. He is a centre.. I can't remember when I last saw him there. In the positions he has been given he has done his best.
But it's not working.

Walker is just filling in a place for forwards at the moment that we don't have. He has been given a job to try and add attack down our middle. He is not a forward but is doing his best Thing is we don't have anybody else. Unless we want to experiment with Moses Suli another back. Walker has played at middle forward, at fullback and five eight. He is a centre.. I can't remember when I last saw him there. In the positions he has been given he has done his best.
But it's not working.
De Luis didn't get a run neither did Burbo
So it's not like we don't have bigger bodies available

5 runs for 50m (16m post contact). How is that punching holes in the defence?

Played 22 min. 12 tackles.

I don't usually take any notice of stats, but you could see by the stare in his eyes, he didn't have a clue where he was or what he was doing.
Watch the game mate and read what I said... almost punched two holes. Read the words my friend....not change them to suit your version. And 5 runs for 50 metres at a 10 metre per run average - that is right on what would be seen as a good average per run. Yes he did make a break and the stare in his eyes??? I have heard it all now. You people give me a good laugh - thank you.

I agree with you on Walkers performance but to say he is not a good citizen is unfair if we do not really know the person .

The fact is just because some people have had a few issues does not mean they have a bad heart and are bad citizens .
@BOZO - I don't think Dylan is the sharpest tool in the shed and he has made some very dumb off field decisions. I don't think he is a terrible citizen...... dumb probably and has an anger issue. Me saying he wasn't a great citizen was more in reference to what the haters think. But to me as I keep saying he adds a bit of that unpredictable x factor and we just must have that to beat the Storm on GF day.

@BOZO - I don't think Dylan is the sharpest tool in the shed and he has made some very dumb off field decisions. I don't think he is a terrible citizen...... dumb probably and has an anger issue. Me saying he wasn't a great citizen was more in reference to what the haters think. But to me as I keep saying he adds a bit of that unpredictable x factor and we just must have that to beat the Storm on GF day.
The game on the weekend proved beyond doubt that we need to cut out mistakes to beat Melbourne.

Walks allows two line breaks for every one he makes
He has had 8 trys scored against him and only scored three and set up two.

Last edited:
But it's not working.

Agree that when Keppie returns the make up of our bench becomes interesting .. but I am not certain that Dessie is just having Walker fill-in ... I see his involvement very much as a tactical experiment in the new game ... if not Walker then it may be another player of his ilk.

Agree that when Keppie returns the make up of our bench becomes interesting .. but I am not certain that Dessie is just having Walker fill-in ... I see his involvement very much as a tactical experiment in the new game ... if not Walker then it may be another player of his ilk.
Exactly Woodsie - this is about Des being different and trying to add some more attacking flair

Exactly Woodsie - this is about Des being different and trying to add some more attacking flair

Yep, injuries and a lack of forwards may have precipitated the notion ... but I think it is now an established ploy .. funny, Schuster would be the perfect ball player/runner/ game breaker you would want to come on against a tiring defense in exactly that role ... but you would be shot if you kept a kid of his talent sitting on the bench ...

Yup concur.

I have no love for Walker, but his presence on the bench is surely tactical. Johns was saying it all through Saturdays game, ball movement across the ruck is needed against Melbourne, and everyone with the new rules. Quick shifts make more holes - when DCE passes to Walker, who passes it to Foran, we can spread the ball across the field in the blink of an eye.

If Walker increases his running penetration through the middle, it offers another distraction for defenses and will open up Turbo even more.

I'm not a fan of his, partly because he is not worth the money, but the new game needs new tactics. I suspect versatile but impactful 14's will become higher paid and rated than centers and wingers in the next 2 years

Walker
Lawton
And two of Aloai/Toff/Keppie

Covers just about every position at a pinch in the event of HIA ruling people out (without activation of the 18th man) and hopefully over the next month will offer genuine strike and game changing rotations (even using Lawton to give Schuster and Croker a bigger break could make a real difference to their output).

This year still has lots of potential, and if the market was open, I'd be putting money on a Roosters Manly gf in 2022.

I must say it’s good to see you have us in the GF, I like it.

He is great against a tired defence or after a forward has bent the line. The trouble is he is taking one of the slots of a middle forward to bend the line, with Jake not doing much of that either. I’d like to see him sniff around Guac more often but believe he benefits massively when Paseka is on the field as well, which wasn’t for long against the storm.

When Chambers rubbished him on the ground in the heat of the moment He proved great restraint showed no anger issues

As far a dumb goes . Having drink issues does not define ones intelligence .

I agree he has so much ability and with more game time he will get more confidence and match fitness to reach his playing potential .

Parker is on it!
Slow Jokes aside and on the serious side

In todays fast paced game and in the finals faster paced matches

There is absolutely NO ADVANTAGE of a SLOW back in defence or attack

Slow is a liability on the footy field .

Last edited:
The game on the weekend proved beyond doubt that we need to cut out mistakes to beat Melbourne.

Walks allows two line breaks for every one he makes
He has had 8 trys scored against him and only scored three and set up two.
I'm with you on your comments on Walker Manly F76, not sure he liked the grind of the forwards. He does have his moments though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8