The Young Guns

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
This is the thread brought up in the NZ/Aussie Test series thread.

We're at 2010 now. I'd still have Clarke in front narrowly. I have enjoyed how this discussion raised some of the stars of the current game - Clarke, Strauss, McCullum, Ross Taylor, Steyn.

Can we put that Williamson kids name in here yet?

Haha we should bring this up every couple of years, Clarke is easily the class act of the 3 for mine although Strauss still churns out the runs

I think Williamson will struggle early on but will turn into an outstanding batsman

So who would be the current new batsman we would look at ? Probably Phil Hughes for you guys, Duminy for SAF, maybe Trott from England.

Ok so let's update.

Marshall out of the equation.

Clarke > Strauss in limited overs, no point even looking at that.

For the last 2 years they have both had great records when you take in to account the positions they bat.

Strauss - 25 matches, 1939 runs @ 48.47, 7 centuries
Clarke - 27 matches, 2268 @ 56.70, 8 centuries

Over their careers, Clarke averages 51 to Strauss' 43 but Clarke is more likely to get not outs. Strauss has 18 centuries to Clarke's 14, but as an opener he has more opportunities, in fact he has 34 more innings to his name than Clarke.

They both had strong Ashes series last time they met. Clarke averaging 64 with 2 centuries, Strauss 52 with 1 century.

Before the Ashes Strauss came up against WI in two matches and averaged 24 with a top score of 26. Clarke played WI after the Ashes and averaged 52, collecting 2 half centuries with a top score of 71.

Strauss then came up against SA and averaged 24 again, crossing 50 once for his top score at 54. Clarke collected similar stats when he toured SA last.

Recently Clarke has hit back to back centuries against Pakistan and NZ, Strauss hasn't made a century since the last Ashes, I betting he will get a few this English summer though with Test matches against Bangladesh and Pakistan coming up.

Clarke > Strauss.

Kiwi Eagle link said:
Haha we should bring this up every couple of years, Clarke is easily the class act of the 3 for mine although Strauss still churns out the runs

I think Williamson will struggle early on but will turn into an outstanding batsman

So who would be the current new batsman we would look at ? Probably Phil Hughes for you guys, Duminy for SAF, maybe Trott from England.

Yeah Hughes, Usman Khawaja eventually too.

Duminy perhaps, he is fairly fresh to Test cricket even though he is around the same age as guys like Gambhir, Cook, Amla, and DeVilliers.

What about Shane Watson? I know he has been around a long time but this is the first time he has ever stayed on the field long enough to hold a spot in the Test XI, same age as Trott.

We're going to (or at least should) see some good young players come through soon from India, they're batting line up is quite aged.

Steve Smith will be one to watch.  The hype is he could be as good a number 6 as Douggie Walters, and everyone wants him to be the next Warney.  I just hope he keeps his bowling up and doesn't give it away like Cam White did.  We need a leggie much more than another hard hitting lower order batter. 

Duminy is in a big hole at the moment. He has only scored two 50's since the Australian tour. His average is under 30. Don't think he is going to amount to much, De Villiers is a much better player than him.

For the Aussies, Smith and Ferguson seem the most likely. Opportunities are notoriously hard to come by in the Aussie side though, so retirements seem the most likely avenue for new blood. Katich and Hussey are probably first in line to pull the pin, as Ponting has expressed a desire to go till 2013 Ashes. The other likely avenue is the regular Shane Watson injury. Given that, Hughes will probably be first in line.

Hussey was back to his 30 average against the sheep shaggers so surely must be close to not getting picked.

if they didnt dro him mid ashes Fluff they arent going to now.

I agree he shuold have made way a long while ago.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4