This is a bottom 4 team

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
And… next week Saab will be picked over Jorge. I would bite the bullet and put Weekes at FB, Garrick and Saab as wingers, Koula and Tui as centres for rest of season. Schuster to start instead of Davey and Davey to be used off the bench. We defended very well tonight, just some silly mistakes costs us dearly. W
no matter how you chop and dice and reposition the players, its much the same. just not a quality roster. having Jorge and Harper on the edge was always risky. at least they swap Jorge onto the other side. i think Tom should medically retire from the game. he will have another issue in 2023.

Of course I do, but sometimes in my life I choose to read and participate in silver tails. And your unique brand of posting annoys me while I’m doing that
I do not post to annoy any one , I respect every one on here including you and that is why i gave you the courtesy of a reply .

Well they booked Manly in to play the most prime time games this season basically labelling them the entertainers.

In one game they completely destroyed the season, and the silver lining is they can now watch a bunch of meaningless Manly games for the rest of the year in prime time. Great for ratings.

In the words of Ice-T - “you played yourself”

Well they can simply go F&&k themselves while at it. They designed it, and here are the consequences.

NYEagle

The reality of Private ownership during tough economic times
"(Manly and Gold Coast) have access to private ownership, and so ultimately if things gets really dire, private ownership has the ability to help in its own way.

What are you on about??

The NRL grant covers the salary cap....no expense to the Penns.

Coaching and off field staff are also salary/spend capped, to a point.....covered by sponsorship, membership, sales, etc, etc.

The only possible loss making scenario for the Penns is poor crowds at Brookie, which costs the club via high ground fees to council...which is offset by Mudgee and gifting an extra home game to the Broncos.

Every club should be entirely self-sustaining at this stage.

What are you on about??

The NRL grant covers the salary cap....no expense to the Penns.

Coaching and off field staff are also salary/spend capped, to a point.....covered by sponsorship, membership, sales, etc, etc.

The only possible loss making scenario for the Penns is poor crowds at Brookie, which costs the club via high ground fees to council...which is offset by Mudgee and gifting an extra home game to the Broncos.

Every club should be entirely self-sustaining at this stage.
I am on about the covid times that hit every organisation hard and sent many broke including sports clubs . During covid times games were played in empty stadiums and without an owner to cover our costs we would have been one of covids financial victims

I am on about the covid times that hit every organisation hard and sent many broke including sports clubs . During covid times games were played in empty stadiums and without an owner to cover our costs we would have been one of covids financial victims

Ummmmm,
The NRL increased grants during Covid to help cover shortfalls.

And any shortfall was definitely covered by the sale of the Leagues Club, and it's assets.

This has been done to death.

Penn is not losing money with his ownership of Manly.
The complete opposite.

Ummmmm,
The NRL increased grants during Covid to help cover shortfalls.

And any shortfall was definitely covered by the sale of the Leagues Club, and it's assets.

This has been done to death.

Penn is not losing money with his ownership of Manly.
The complete opposite.
The fact is there are much better investments than NRL clubs to make money .
NRL owners are people that are more passionate about their club than making more money .

There are costs that owners also contribute . I am very grateful for all Manly people that make a contribution to our club . We must give credit to where credit is due .

We are not a bottom 4 side because we will beat every team in the bottom 8 right now. The problem is we are far leaps and bounds away from beating a top 8 team. We must win our next two "winnable games" against Warriors and Tigers and then we will equal up our record at 7-7 which is not as bad.

We just gotta keep tryna fight and hope that beating up on bottom 8 teams can get us far enough to scrape into the 8. Other than that, we are not in the right frame to beat a top 8 side or compete in the finals. It sucks because we've gone back again to not being able to back up a promising season. 2017, 2019, 2021, backed up by disapointing seasons after.

Next 4 are Warriors, Tigers, Cowboys and Storm.

Be lucky to win 2 of those
Three of those are at home and the other against a team we have already beaten, so I wouldn’t give up hope just yet.

It’s interesting reading these comments. You then watch the game and it’s rarely as bad as the image created by the usual motley crew, who death ride the coach and the team.

PS - I do not consider Ensign Parker a ‘death rider’.

12 years since our last premiership and we are no where near being close to competing for one or being a consistent finals threat. Our longest premiership drought since the 70s.

Our salary cap is a complete mess, too much is paid to too few players who for various reasons aren't delivering value for what they are paid. As a result we're left with too many barely 1st grade standard plodders in the side to make up the numbers.

Face it, for the foreseeable we are just an also ran club. We might make the finals every few years but I'll be surprised if we win or even threaten to win a comp in the next 10 years. There is no vision, passion or plan from the owners to turn Manly into a "powerhouse" club again. They seem to be OK to just let the mediocrity is OK mentality to continue.

Three of those are at home and the other against a team we have already beaten, so I wouldn’t give up hope just yet.

It’s interesting reading these comments. You then watch the game and it’s rarely as bad as the image created by the usual motley crew, who death ride the coach and the team.

PS - I do not consider Ensign Parker a ‘death rider’.
No chance of beating Cows or drizzle, Tigers away will beat us and Warriors at home we always have trouble with. We play like last night we will lose all 4 which we will. This is not a team , it's a collection of individuals.

That was a terrible display... well up to Munster stealing the ball the second time in a couple of minutes... that was enough for me. To me last night's game was all on dumb players making dumb errors. As a coach Hasler has to take on board the criticism of why players are making such dumb errors but I would guess from what I saw Hasler doesn't coach and cant be responsible for these howlers:-

DCE making a terrible mistake in not trusting the inside players on the first try;

Jorge/Garrick/Tippytoes/Harper continually being bewildered as to who was taking the bomb and in actually catching the bomb a few times with not much pressure on them. That comes back purely I think in the main to Jorge being spooked by the bomb from that first kick and the lack of confidence spreading;

Jorge/Tippytoes dropping them cold;

Jake not covering up from the inside on the second try - he went to sleep;

Keppie dropping that ball that wasn't called but a knock on every game and Keppie does the same thing EVERY game;

Jorge/Koula having the ball stripped when Des would have replayed over and over to watch Munster taking the pill and stripped within minutes. Koula is just plain inexperience.... Jorge should have had it glued to his body;

Schuster making that error right before half time.... we had Garrick free on that play... might not have been a try but a long long raid was there to be had;

Haumole dropping that ball when we were on their tryline;

Aloiai running behind Sipley... Aloiai played great.. Sipley had a decent game but boneheaded play... just drop on the ground arghhhhhh;

The continued offsides down in their 20..... it is hard to get back into the line and in line with the ref when you are fatigued... that can be bloody challenging..... BUT it is certainly not as hard to get back in line with the ref when we have them pinned. That is not fatigued and us dragging our butts to get a line organised... that is players being idiots... not getting back in line and simply jumping the gun. Those penalties above all are the killers - absolute killers! There were I think 5 in the first half alone. We are piggybacking them straight out of their own end. We get rid of those penalties and there is a huge change in momentum and field position right there;

Walker offloading that stupid ball.

For 50 minutes (as I said I didn't watch after the Munster second strip that was enough stupidity for me) we defended fabulously but again you can't keep turning the ball over and have the energy to then have a fantastic flowing attack AND the energy to defend. I thought our attack when we had the ball was pretty decent - we pulled them apart and we had opportunities. Certainly in the first half Davey was tagged just as he looked like bursting through the line albeit they looked suspect passes to me from Foran. To me Des has to get super super tough on the boneheaded plays. All those plays above are just boneheaded - players committing the stupid errors not the fault of Penn not Des not Donny not the Mascot not Tommy's injury not all the other injuries... players making ridiculous stupid decisions and having terrible execution. Players that are high quality like Schu, Haumole, Aloiai, Tippytoes, Koula, Garrick just clocking off for a second. It is obviously hard with our injuries to sack dumb players and put them on the bench and out of the squad but when we get a few cattle back and maybe this week we get Lawton, maybe Saab back and the week after maybe Parker/Paseka there needs to be some brutal reactions from Des for the boneheaded plays. The coach has overall responsibility and he has to take responsibility for the outcomes and as such it is on him.... but just not sure he coaches players to makes those errors or in fact when a player is on the field how he can stop a player making those errors. But yes we get rid of those killing penalties and that is a start. But yes Des needs to start benching the boneheads.

Last edited:
Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4