Three players set to be targeted by ASADA over use of banned peptide CJC-1295

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Chip and Chase said:
@Rex welcome back. Where have you been hiding ?

Jethro said:
rsz_1rsz_1rsz_welcome-back.jpg

Long time no see :)

Hi CC & Jethro.

Have taken a leaf out of GE's hat and have joined the migration to warmer weather, on the opposite side of the continent - currently Cable Beach in Broome. Almost time to migrate south again. Mostly out of reception range except on game days.

Chip and Chase said:
Read a good tweet on this.

The players either did or they didn't.

If they did, then the penalty is an outrage.

If they didn't, then the penalty is an outrage.

The offending players were stood down for the day and given a 300 dollars woolworths voucher do they could go shopping.

Rex said:
Chip and Chase said:
@Rex welcome back. Where have you been hiding ?

Jethro said:
rsz_1rsz_1rsz_welcome-back.jpg

Long time no see :)

Hi CC & Jethro.

Have taken a leaf out of GE's hat and have joined the migration to warmer weather, on the opposite side of the continent - currently Cable Beach in Broome. Almost time to migrate south again. Mostly out of reception range except on game days.

Nice. Enjoy.

So, here's a serious question - what ever happened to those "three players" spoken of at the outset of this, at times, highly emotional thread? Have ASADA closed their investigation completely?

So, now, a question to those who 'know' everything.

Regarding the Cronulla players who 'admitted' that they were using drugs;

* did they admit to using banned drugs, because they were? or
* did they admit to using banned drugs because they were not sure of the evidence that ASADA had on them? And three weeks off is hardly a strong penalty?
* To let it all go away, just plead guilty and let bygones be bygones?

Who knows? But at a guess, all 3.

It's been a rough ride for the Shark players but they got off with a slap on the wrist. To put it in perspective, for taking banned substances they miss 3 weeks, Wolf made a few small bets and misses 3 months, including the chance to play another finals series.

I doubt the Sharks club will get off as lightly as the players, the repercussions could yet spell the end for them.

THE World Anti-Doping Agency has issued a stinging rebuke of ASADA and the Australian government, declaring they alone were responsible for the inordinate delays in the investigation that led to 12 past and present Cronulla players receiving backdated suspensions over the NRL supplement scandal.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/nrl/world-antidoping-agency-trashes-asada-over-delays/story-fnca0von-1227075723094?nk=481dbb2dba0545eebb6a9380b4eea7fb

As I reckon every Olympic athlete (and wolfie as mentioned before) would say: if it were them, it'd be a 2 year ban, not some minor slap on the wrist.

The whole saga sucks

With the current washup, Inside Sport also had this to say about the handling;

LOSER – ASADA

It is a testament to the size and scale of the shambles that has been ASADA’s now-infamous “peptide” investigation that the football world is still split.

Did the Essendon Bombers and Cronulla Sharks take banned substances, or not?

Position A: they did, and they knew it at the time, and so they deserve everything that has come at them. Position B: no, they didn’t take anything illegal, and they have been hung out to dry.

The answer?

Apparently ASADA has enough evidence of doping violations to spook the Sharks players into accepting their “guilt” and backdated bans rather than contesting the charges; it was reported that players were shown several pages of documents.

But at the time of writing the rest of us still don’t know what that evidence is – and there is the strong suggestion that the players were so sick of the whole thing that they took the rap just so they could put it behind them, keep playing for the next two years, and make a living.

Essendon players, it seems, remain convinced of their innocence – that the club played their whole supplements regime within the rules. We DO know that the AFL sent suspicious samples of Essendon blood to Europe to be tested for peptides in 2012 – and there were no positives.

Here’s what we can say. This has been a terrible episode for the anti-doping cause. On all available evidence (that which has not been cloaked behind Criminal Justice Commission secrecy provisions), this investigation was hijacked by political forces.

We strongly suspect that the Labor government of the day fast-tracked this investigation right on to the front pages of every newspaper in the land – at the expense of Australian sport’s international reputation.

All for a few weeks’ respite from headlines unhelpful to their re-election prospects? What else are we to think? The “we will find you!” threats of the time have turned out to be empty.

The links between doping and match-fixing have never been brought up since that first press conference.

If we give the then Sports Minister Kate Lundy the benefit of any doubt, it might be that the anti-doping cause had been emboldened the world over by the prized scalp of Lance Armstrong – and the fact that certain witnesses were able to get drastically reduced sentences in that case for testimony that brought down a bigger fish.

Perhaps Lundy and her colleagues thought they could flush out offenders in the football world and claim a scalp to compare …If that’s the case, they sure got that wrong.

I call bull

You do not accept a ban if you are innocent / to make things go away

Re the politics they are now incidental. Two major clubs have been found guilty of a systemic doping program .

For myself this is close to the darkest day in Australian sport

Put yourselves in their shoes. Untested 'evidence' that may or may not see you sit out 2 years, and an option to make it go away by accepting back dated deals and play Round 1 next year.

This has been dragging on for ages and I don't begrudge any player that simply had no confidence in the matter proceeding fairly, and took the option to plead guilty.

Two clubs have been mired down in a process that can't definitively state fault, and it's why we have these watered down options. Do you think that if they had hard evidence of illegal substance programs, we'd have seen anything but two year/life bans across the board? No wonder the Olympians are losing their ****!!!

Everything 'til now has failed the comparison test to what was initially announced. I struggle to see how any fallout has resulted in widespread implications that would justify calling last Febs grandstanding as anything but a Light Shade of Grey Day in Sport.

The whole saga is a monumental stuff up from start to finish with no winners.

I just hope EVERYONE including the government, ASADA, sports scientists, players and coaches learns from this and it never happens again. That is the only good that can come from it.

Hamster Huey said:
Put yourselves in their shoes. Untested 'evidence' that may or may not see you sit out 2 years, and an option to make it go away by accepting back dated deals and play Round 1 next year.

This has been dragging on for ages and I don't begrudge any player that simply had no confidence in the matter proceeding fairly, and took the option to plead guilty.

Two clubs have been mired down in a process that can't definitively state fault, and it's why we have these watered down options. Do you think that if they had hard evidence of illegal substance programs, we'd have seen anything but two year/life bans across the board? No wonder the Olympians are losing their ...!!!

Everything 'til now has failed the comparison test to what was initially announced. I struggle to see how any fallout has resulted in widespread implications that would justify calling last Febs grandstanding as anything but a Light Shade of Grey Day in Sport.

After 22 pages of this I am more than happy to agree to disagree...

Nice try HH. The 2 major footy codes in this land each had a top tier team busted for illegal drug use. As for the delay, it is plausible that the NRL preferred the delay.

Try what? It is widespread opinion that political spin had a significant affect on where this investigation went. Most elements mentioned have not been shown to be as serious as suggested, and we're left with a couple of poorly managed sports science programs, of which the peptides involved were not actually banned at the time!!! Why the lenient offer to players? Doesn't add up anywhere near a black day, IMHO.

So the Essendon players have been "cleared" by their own codes tribunal of taking illegal substances because no one knows what they did actually take. Strange indeed. I'd love to know what records Stephen Dank has and whether they will ever see the light of day. These players in both code have put so much faith in this guy, their long term (and short term) health has been put in his hands and he claims that there is no records of what he injected into them ?? Seems a big call to just trust a guy who doesn't seem to be too trustworthy or forthcoming with information to assure everyone that what he did was ethically and morally correct, other than on his say so. Still waiting for him to sue someone as he constantly threatens to, in which case he might have to actually provide some evidence to refute the claims he carried out illegal doping.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8