Thurston touches the ball, Foran is doubtful to have touched

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I have proof it was a try – it was in the papers next day.

Plus it's another good omen. In 1978, during Manly's most gutsy finals campaign so far, there was a furore over a so-called 7 tackle try in a semi on our way to the grand final. People still mention it to this very day (well I just did anyway!). But it was immaterial to the result, exactly as the current decisions were.

Which augers well for our team to join the all-time greats. Starting with a win over Storm, in 4 days from now.

This is the first time i have seen the footage up close and slowed down and i now believe it was Thurston's hand that propelled it back towards his own line. Thats the way his arm is going - its sweeping the ball back to his goal line

I didn't hear anyone, apart from Manly supporters, screaming blue murder when the Dogturds scored three tries against us in the 1995 grand final,one on the seventh tackle, and two from forward passes.
We never had a chance to get in the game that day, what goes around comes around.

foz now says he touched it.

*filed under who cares, don't give a crap, bring on scum cheats, moving on *

Yep all along I reckon Foran got his hand to it FIRST then Thurston propels it with force backwards, with both hands on the ball for a short period of time. Then the gunman on the grassy knoll fires it backwards.

All that said and done, I would have been filthy ( at the time ) if that decision went the other way against us.

Anyway - onwards and upwards from here.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/nrl-premiership/manlys-kieran-foran-concedes-he-knocked-on-in-controversial-incident-against-north-queensland/story-fn2mcuj6-1226476405495

eagle chick said:
http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/nrl-premiership/manlys-kieran-foran-concedes-he-knocked-on-in-controversial-incident-against-north-queensland/story-fn2mcuj6-1226476405495

They never publish my comments :(

unless i call them anti canadian

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/nrl-premiership/referees-boss-bill-harrigan-at-odds-with-referees-over-kieran-foran-knock-on-fiasco-in-manly-win/story-fn2mcuj6-1226476217903

I can't believe the amount of whinging about this decision. It happens every bloody week, the refs get things wrong, hell they even got one of the Cowboys tries wrong on the back of a strip and a blatant forward pass. Is there endless media coverage on that ? No. !

Why do the Cowboys think that this cost them their season ?? lack of ability and failure to perform under pressure cost them their season, not some 50/50 BOD try. Take that try away and they still lost. FFS what don't they understand about that ? They can talk all they want about momentum and changing the course of the game, but how do you think we felt at 12-6 and with all the running and they get a dodgy try to even things up and put the pressure back on us. Even after the Oldfield try they had the best part of 15 minutes to score some points. They couldn't do it, end of story.

If whinging ever becomes an Olympic sport than Nth Qld Cowboys will field a pretty handy relay side capable of taking gold.

Agreed C & C. Why are they bleating? They had their chances. Why do they presume to think they'd get through to the GF? They came 5th, and that's where they finished. End of story.

Reading that link I was wondering if the optical illusion was enough to fool even the man himself!

When I read it again though I realised that nowhere I have seen is he actually quoted admitting he touched the ball.

The story says "Foran claimed after the match when quizzed by reporters that he didn't touch the ball, but having seen the incident on television, Foran said he can now see that he did knock-on" and "Foran maintains he was confident at the time that he didn't touch the ball".

The only actual quotes attributed to the man himself are:
"In the heat of the moment I didn't think I touched it, and that is what I said after the game,"
"But they've obviously reviewed it and it's turned out differently."
"It was a fairly big decision, it's finals footy and you want to see referees get those decisions right, so I am not really surprised it has dragged on,"
"There were a couple of decisions that were funny like the Oldfield try and the strip that led to their second try."
"But I do think it has overshadowed the win a bit. We played our best 80 minutes in about six weeks."
"We put in a good performance we really felt we ground the Cowboys down and deserved to win."

He seems to aknowledge that the NRL has ruled the video referee made an error but I don't know why they wouldn't publish the exact quote admitting he did touch it (unless he never admitted such a thing).

Nice headline though.

Anyone remember Manly getting robbed up at Townsville in 2011 when Jamie Lyon was ruled to have knocked on in the leadt up to a Michael Oldfield try. Karma.

Just to be clear, Foran basically said after seeing the footage that it looks like he touched it. Not that he was lying and he really did touch it. ****en media.

I cant beleive how much mileage this is getting....Like its the first time in the history of the game...You would think the media goons would be promoting this weekends finals, but oh know....Lets give it to Manly......f@rk off media and lets get on with the game....

According to one of the well informed posters in the comments section it is a conspiracy and Arko is at the centre of it. I didn't think Arko wielded that much power at the NRL but obviously I am wrong because a poster by the name of "Growing tired of rugby league" knows it to be so.

The whole "fess up" thing is ridiculous. What are they suggesting? That Foz should have rushed over to referee Hayne to stop him going to the video referees by admitting he knocked the ball on?

They also all forget that Lyon beat two Cows to the ball, that the Cows failed to fully tackle him, that Lyon threw a miracle pass & that Oldfield was smart enough to chase the play even when Cows players were already starting to squeal to the referees.

bones said:
Anyone remember Manly getting robbed up at Townsville in 2011 when Jamie Lyon was ruled to have knocked on in the leadt up to a Michael Oldfield try. Karma.
Don't forget the two we were robbed up there this year too. We still won 8-6, but should have won by 10 or 12

Ha! Took some googling but found it! Simpkins was video referee!

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/the-cowboys-dynamic-duo-see-of-eagles/story-e6frfgbo-1226047614410

With old hands Johnathan Thurston and Matt Bowen leading the way, the Cowboys were cruising at 22-4 midway through the second half. But Manly stormed home, scoring three tries and having a fourth disallowed in controversial fashion when skipper Jamie Lyon was judged to have knocked on.

The disallowed try was a point of disagreement between the coaches, with Des Hasler saying he felt benefit of the doubt should have led to video umpire Paul Simpkins awarding the try.

"I thought it was a weak decision," the Manly coach said.

"It looked as if he knocked the ball back but it was the angle of the body that made it look as if it was a knock on."

Lyon, whose knock-on was the centre of the disagreement, was adamant it "went back".

But Cowboys coach Neil Henry said he thought it was a knock-on.

The 2 points from that 'win' plus the for/against would have given Manly the minor premiership!
http://stats.rleague.com/rl/seas/2011.html#fin

We wuz robbed!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7