Time for the Bulldogs and Hasler to part ways

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Im just not into playing favorites. It was sad to see jamie bhurer go and killer retiring but thats footy. I watch footy for entertainment and while losing is part of footy its much more fun watching a win, or at least when your team is capable every week.

Its also much better win lose or draw if you are not a walking crisis waiting to implode

If des came back i see him making manly more competitive within a week. He may also bring us one big man from the dogs. He has never had the halves or the backs at the dogs. In my view he has overperformed considering his team. The dogs committee are a bunch of head cases

He is a good coach plain and simple. He is a strong leader and it will show our club is not all run by idiots if he does return, as we know he wont unless he has his freedom.

Trent shows promise in my opinion but its too early to tell. Id have Des back for sure. Show cartright the door, make trent part of the team until he gets a better gig

It will be a strange one too for the forum moaners. He is a manly man, he did **** in his nest, coaching is a Results driven business, tooves will probably be happy for des and manly. Some posters will have so many personalites next year that dan will have to introduce pet membership and one week memebership to keep up with it.

Des and Crusher have/had 5 years of unlimited resources to get a quality team together, so I'm not so sure you can blame the lack of quality halves or backs on anyone but them.

Last edited:
Been saying it forever, you must be an Xplayer of the club to have the club at heart, thats why Des and Tooves were good at Manly

Bennett never played for the Broncos.
Bellamy never played for the Storm.
Jack Gibson never played for Parramatta.
Shane Flanagan never played for Cronulla.
Macguire never played for Souths.
Trent Robinson never played for Easts.
Mal Reilly never played for Newcastle.

In fact 94% of premiers since the inception of the NRL have been won by teams not being coached by ex-players of that team.

It's a professional sport and coaches are professionals.

Last edited:
After he left I never ever ever wanted him back.
Times have changed. For me, he's the only one I can think of who can negate the relentless vengefulness of ZtH.
He won us two premierships and is a Manly man
So here goes (closes eyes, holds breath):
Come back Des. Here are the keys to my team. Can I get you a champagne?

There, I said it.

:banghead::confused::eek::sweating::banghead:@:D

Funny that no-one has suggested Geoff Toovey as a replacement coach for the Bulldogs.
Even Cartwright's name has been thrown up.
Tooves has made it known he wants to coach
Could it be they just don't rate him?!

In fact 94% of premiers since the inception of the NRL have been won by teams not being coached by ex-players of that team.

But we're Manly, we're not like everyone else. We have our own culture. In our 70-year history we've only had 3 non-manly people coaching us - Lowe, Sharp and now Barrett. Non-manly people do not live up to our high standards of success.

That can't be right. A Des Hasler coached Manly won 2 (2008 and 2011) of the 19 (10.5%) NRL premierships that have been awarded since the inception of the NRL in 1998 - take out the 2 Storm premierships that were stripped and that percentage rises to 11.7%...

But we're Manly, we're not like everyone else. We have our own culture. In our 70-year history we've only had 3 non-manly people coaching us - Lowe, Sharp and now Barrett. Non-manly people do not live up to our high standards of success.

Raven, got bad news for you old mate, we are exactly like everybody else.
We import players and staff from everywhere and turn them into "local" legends.

Under Arko we were just the best at it. Got quality people, showed them our beautiful local girls at Manly Beach and the rest is history.

Of our 4 successful coaches,

Des came from Penrith
Bozo came from down south.
Ron Wiley came from Bulldogs.
Only Biscuits Stanton could be called a local.

Funny that no-one has suggested Geoff Toovey as a replacement coach for the Bulldogs.

I'm not sure they could justify the "Des Hasler is a Manly man and he doesn't get the Bulldogs culture" line if they replaced him with an even more Manly man!

That can't be right. A Des Hasler coached Manly won 2 (2008 and 2011) of the 19 (10.5%) NRL premierships that have been awarded since the inception of the NRL in 1998 - take out the 2 Storm premierships that were stripped and that percentage rises to 11.7%...

You are correct, in fact the fiqure is in fact 84% (a typo), still it makes my point. Whether the 2 melb GF's were striped or not the fact remains they did win those games (cheating bastards)

Didn't say can't win a GF, just said don't have Team spirit in the heart..

I love how the Dogs are now complaining that Des "doesn't get" the Dogs culture, when the reason Greenberg poached him and most of our coaching staff was precisely because they wanted the Manly culture. Hilarious.
To my mind, they all made their own beds (Des included) and can lie in them till the end of time. I get why people might welcome Des back, but really, he shat all over the club from a great height and we should all probably move on. Barrett may not be the right man for the job - another year will show us one way or the other - but looking backwards instead of forwards isn't the answer.

Toovs the great man that he is would never coach the Bulldogs :)

Really really torn I want my old manly back but not sure I want the lunatic running the asylum again though as much as I know we will be back on top with him back !!!!

Time to book in an appointment with my shrink

Yes for mine the Dog's are on a downward slide. Des is not stupid, he would be well aware that his squad will be flat out making the top eight next season. Manly on the other hand have the following players to build a team around, Tom Trbojevic, Dylan Walker, DCE, Matt Parcell, Darcy Lussick, Martin Tapau, AFB, Willis Meehan, Jake Trbojevic. All of the above players are very young or in their prime. The squad we are developing would actually be a tempting proposition for the right coach. It is obvious that the players like Trent Barrett and obviously rate him as a coach, as evidenced by the Turbo brothers seeking guarantees around his future before signing on this week. However with a bit of creativity I'm sure management could find a way around this and offer the playing group the best of both worlds.
Kevin , The reason the dogs are on the slide is because Des had full control and an open check book that assembled the squad he wanted . I see no excuses for the position Hasler is in

I have to give my opinion on Des because I strongly disagree with a number of what I deem to be misconceptions.

Misconception no.1
Des is past it and/or hasn't "moved with the times".
In case you haven't noticed, it's bloody hard to win a competition. Everything has to go right to get there in the first place and the planets have to align to win it on the big day. The fact that he has taken the club to two GF's in 5 years tells me he is doing something right. Bellamy couldn't clinch the big one this year but I don't think anyone is doubting his coaching ability. Every year 15 coaches don't take out the premiership.

This idea that he hasn't moved the times is rubbish too...to think that we (and the media) can sit in the lounge room and see that the game has evolved but two time premiership winning coach just happened to have his eyes shut for three years is hilarious. Bennett has been playing the same tune for 25 years and he made the GF last year. Rugby League is a simple game and Des is no fool, it's just that some other teams played better this year.

I remember Manly were shot ducks under Des in 2010 and finished 8th before being thrashed in the first week of the finals...I wonder what 2011 would have looked like if we sacked him after that 8th place finish?!

Misconception 2.
Des doesn't have the cattle.
Jesus Christ; a team with both the Morris boys (Origin and Internationals, Hoppa (Origin), Perrett (International), one of the brightest young halves in Mbye, and a monster pack containing Kasiano (international), Graham (International Captain), Eastwood (International), Josh Jackson (Origin), Klemmer (Origin and International).
However, just because you have good players and a good coach, the competition is still hard to win. The Cowboys have the best player in the game, the most destructive forward in the game, and a ton of other talent and a good coach...did they win the competition this year?

Misconception 3.
Des doesn't get the Bulldogs DNA.
What DNA? Trashing stadiums, burning seats, tipping paint on cars and banging drums? That's a DNA I don't want to know anything about. All Des is doing is coaching some meat head footballers, not conducting a crime commission. **** off Canterbury.

In conclusion, Des is a great coach, Des has the cattle, but competitions are bloody hard to win.

I have to give my opinion on Des because I strongly disagree with a number of what I deem to be misconceptions.

Misconception no.1
Des is past it and/or hasn't "moved with the times".
In case you haven't noticed, it's bloody hard to win a competition. Everything has to go right to get there in the first place and the planets have to align to win it on the big day. The fact that he has taken the club to two GF's in 5 years tells me he is doing something right. Bellamy couldn't clinch the big one this year but I don't think anyone is doubting his coaching ability. Every year 15 coaches don't take out the premiership.

This idea that he hasn't moved the times is rubbish too...to think that we (and the media) can sit in the lounge room and see that the game has evolved but two time premiership winning coach just happened to have his eyes shut for three years is hilarious. Bennett has been playing the same tune for 25 years and he made the GF last year. Rugby League is a simple game and Des is no fool, it's just that some other teams played better this year.

I remember Manly were shot ducks under Des in 2010 and finished 8th before being thrashed in the first week of the finals...I wonder what 2011 would have looked like if we sacked him after that 8th place finish?!

Misconception 2.
Des doesn't have the cattle.
Jesus Christ; a team with both the Morris boys (Origin and Internationals, Hoppa (Origin), Perrett (International), one of the brightest young halves in Mbye, and a monster pack containing Kasiano (international), Graham (International Captain), Eastwood (International), Josh Jackson (Origin), Klemmer (Origin and International).
However, just because you have good players and a good coach, the competition is still hard to win. The Cowboys have the best player in the game, the most destructive forward in the game, and a ton of other talent and a good coach...did they win the competition this year?

Misconception 3.
Des doesn't get the Bulldogs DNA.
What DNA? Trashing stadiums, burning seats, tipping paint on cars and banging drums? That's a DNA I don't want to know anything about. All Des is doing is coaching some meat head footballers, not conducting a crime commission. **** off Canterbury.

In conclusion, Des is a great coach, Des has the cattle, but competitions are bloody hard to win.
Competitions are hard to win when you have a team playing one out hit ups and are very predictable .
Telegraph ...

An emotional Steve Mortimer has vowed to walk away from his position on the Bulldogs’ board if Des Hasler is handed a new two-year contract extension at Friday’s emergency meeting.

In what’s shaping up as a showdown between the man regarded as the Bulldogs’ greatest ever player and one of the best coaches of the modern game, Mortimer declared: “If they want me to resign, I will resign.

“As a director I will go the best way I can in supporting (whatever decision is made).

“But if I had to be asked to renew the new two-year contract I would say, ‘I am sorry, I will have to walk away’.”

While many fans and rugby league experts are struggling to comprehend how Hasler could be fighting to save his future after taking the Bulldogs to two grand finals in his five years at the club, Mortimer did not back away from his belief it is time for change.

He also revealed how he fronted Hasler at a recent board meeting to express his concerns about the lack of passion displayed in the disappointing finals loss to Penrith.

“I spoke at the last directors’ meeting,” Mortimer said.

“Des Hasler was there. I got some things off my chest. Maybe I said too much but irrespective of that. I was at the meeting, Des was there also.

“Des came up and said stats about this and all that sort of stuff.

“I did say the last game we played, the first half was pretty good, but at the end of the game I saw 13 players playing individually.

“There was no passion. There was no helping each other in that second half. And I complained.”

Mortimer is adamant the seven directors who will decide Hasler’s fate on Friday all have the club’s best interests at heart. And he said whatever decision they come up with he won’t dispute.

“We have a seven directors and nothing will split any of those,” he said.

“They all have business acumen which is great, but they all have brains as well in respect to where the club is going.”
Asked if all the directors were on the same page, Mortimer said: “I would like to say that I believe that we are.”

Mortimer also revealed how he offered his resignation on Wednesday to senior director Arthur Coorey after he declared the club was “losing its DNA” under Hasler.

Mortimer made a point of saying he did not aim his criticism at chief executive Raelene Castle.

“Look, I really like Raelene,” Mortimer said.

“Her father was a coach at Turvey Park years ago and she is a very astute and good person. Maybe Raelene and I disagree about Des’s value, but that doesn’t matter, I still have respect for our CEO.”

Asked if Coorey was unhappy with his comments, Mortimer said: “No. He was fine.”

Coorey was reluctant to talk when contacted.

“We are having a meeting on Friday. I have nothing to say,” he said.

Asked about Mortimer’s comments, Coorey added: “He is entitled to say what he wants, it is up to him.

“Everyone is free to say what they want to say.”

Coorey denied Hasler was going to be pushed out of the club.

“Nobody has said that. Where did you get that from?” he questioned.

“Turvey didn’t say that. I know what Turvey said. He is talking about his future. That is it.”

Things are hotting up in the press now with rumours And articles about this situation. I can't believe the dogs would cut Hasler. Surely they are not that stupid.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 4 5 19 10