Today's crowd waiting to be seen

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Canteen Worker said:
Bit unfair all the Darren cracks!!! He raises a good point.

Crowd today was okay - but there was still a lot of room on the hill. To get more in, you need to move the blanket brigade - some people put blankets down and put two people on them.

I was at the record crowd day against the Slimes in 1982 (I think) with 27000 and we were all standing on the hill and crammed together like sardines.

1986...I was there

ayjay007 said:
Canteen Worker said:
Bit unfair all the Darren cracks!!! He raises a good point.

Crowd today was okay - but there was still a lot of room on the hill. To get more in, you need to move the blanket brigade - some people put blankets down and put two people on them.

I was at the record crowd day against the Slimes in 1982 (I think) with 27000 and we were all standing on the hill and crammed together like sardines.

1986...I was there

Yep that was a biggy. I was a little kid, about 8 and got my first taste of getting stuck into enemy fans. I gave an old Parra bag an absolute gobful. My Dad was emabarrased but I haven't looked back. The old boy stopped taking me a few years after that, made me go on my own.
Good times. I'm sure the old cow has carked it by now.

Remember that game. Somehow I climbed up into the Menzies stand and got a seat. Couldn't move that day. Took me 3 hours to drive back to the Gong.

Well done crowd on a big day. Nothing better than seeing Brookie full.

The traffic is a major reason for people to stay away. I live in Berry and yesterday picked up my two grandsons (3 & 5) from Gymea and took them to their first game. It took us 2 hours from Gymea to Brookvale and 2 hours back to Gymea. The trip home for me from Gymea to Berry only took one and a half hours and I estimate the distance to be five times longer. The boys and Grandpop had a great day but the traffic!!

TWO DOGS said:
The traffic is a major reason for people to stay away. I live in Berry and yesterday picked up my two grandsons (3 & 5) from Gymea and took them to their first game. It took us 2 hours from Gymea to Brookvale and 2 hours back to Gymea. The trip home for me from Gymea to Berry only took one and a half hours and I estimate the distance to be five times longer. The boys and Grandpop had a great day but the traffic!!

That's because Gymea is at the arse end of the earth and Berry is even further. Darwin is a long way too.
If you live somewhere normal (from Collaroy to Stanmore) it's not far at all. Further south or west than Stanmore, you're bringing it on yourself. Further north than Collaroy, you're just a weirdo.

There's alway riots on the South side of the bridge!

Wow two hours, took my mates 5 hours from Young yesterday.

I should of went yesterday, and will make the trip at the first available opportunity from Junee, also 5 hours.

Agree Two Dogs!! It's a big trip and bugs the hell out of me when some on here talk about the big drive to Homebush, stuff like that. There are so many of us who travel HOURS to get to games, HOME and AWAY. Manly fans don't travel I keep hearing. Not all!

What about Northern beaches fans who refuse to travel to Moore park. Fair weathered fans! Sue travels from Mudgee every game and sleeps overnight and the poor beachers won't travel 25 minutes. I get so sick of reading that garbage. You go where the team is! I have done thousands of hours of travel. If Sydney fans were fair dinkum, Brookie would have 17k minimum like yesterday at all games (baring rain and possibly Monday nights)

We do travel Darren.
I live in Brookvale. Maybe if other teams had proper grounds like Brookie & Leichhardt it might encourage people to go. People don't appreciate being confined to plastic chairs in concrete caverns.

Duff said:
TWO DOGS said:

That's because Gymea is at the arse end of the earth and Berry is even further. Darwin is a long way too.
If you live somewhere normal (from Collaroy to Stanmore) it's not far at all. Further south or west than Stanmore, you're bringing it on yourself. Further north than Collaroy, you're just a weirdo.

Are you a moron or just being a smart arse?

Duff, you follow the team, not the ground. Whilst I'm not a big fan of Brookie at it's current state it doesn't stop me going. I know you go but the 13k semi last year made the club look supporter less, like the Roosters.

Fancy locals having a strop and not travelling for a semi. Didn't stop the non locals like me!! It's about the team (as I keep hearing)

So you are saying Parra oval, too may plastic seats so better not go today? Mate, it ain't the 50's anymore. Henson park, Wenty oval, Lidcombe are gone. Tell everyone, follow the team.
That's what Berry, Young, Mudgee and Wollongong fans do!! Go where Manly is! Plastic, grass, whatever!

TWO DOGS said:
Duff said:
TWO DOGS said:

Are you a moron or just being a smart arse?

A bit of both. I prefer to be called parochial moreso than moron.

People can choose to live where they want. They can also choose to be murderers and thieves. As long as you're prepared for the consequenses of your choices, knock yourself out.

I got to the game before half time of the Holden Cup and still couldn't find a park in close proximity to the ground so I knew it was going to be a good crowd. Cronulla's estimate of 3000 fans was way underachieved, it would have been closer to 300. People say Manly fans don't travel but with few exceptions opposition clubs bring very few supporters to Brookie. Was a perfect afternoon for footy and no doubt having just 2 Sunday arvo games scheduled for this season at Brookie helped to motivate people to take the limited opportunity.

firechild said:
I got to the game before half time of the Holden Cup and still couldn't find a park in close proximity to the ground so I knew it was going to be a good crowd. Cronulla's estimate of 3000 fans was way underachieved, it would have been closer to 300. People say Manly fans don't travel but with few exceptions opposition clubs bring very few supporters to Brookie. Was a perfect afternoon for footy and no doubt having just 2 Sunday arvo games scheduled for this season at Brookie helped to motivate people to take the limited opportunity.

Ok, this time I'm not being a smart arse, it's a genuine question to all in regards to the quoted perfect day comment.

I found yesterday hot. Horribly so. I got sunburnt because I sweated my suncream out. I spent all arvo doing the Brookie salute and sqinting because of the sun. I had to wear a tshirt because it's still too hot for jerseys. Everyone stank of BO which is rather unpleasant (i'm sure I did too, it would't be fair to not return the favour).
I do agree that the quality of football is better in daytime games (generally) but for crowd comfort, i say bring on winter night games. I seem to be in the minority with regrds to this, as voted by the numbers yesterday but I think next Friday v Souffs will be much more comfortable.

What is it that people find so appealing about squinting, sunburn & bad smells? And why is it good to expose the kids to this rather than a cool, comfortable evening?

I parked ten minutes away from Brookvale at 1.45pm. Park on the southern side, plenty of room. Interestingly I went to ANZ on Saturday night, the crowd were the zombie army, toothless, either obese or drugged skinny, and unwashed. Scary. Terrible place to buy a beer, and the front twenty rows of where I sat stood, blocking the view for all behind. And the seat cost me $30 with concession. Kids had to watch the game on the big screen. Why bother going there? Stop the whining about Brookie, it's a fabulous ground. It's a shame that the Souths game is on Friday night as I doubt many Souths zombies will travel. I'll be there with the usual entourage.

Duff said:
firechild said:

Ok, this time I'm not being a smart arse, it's a genuine question to all in regards to the quoted perfect day comment.

I found yesterday hot. Horribly so. I got sunburnt because I sweated my suncream out. I spent all arvo doing the Brookie salute and sqinting because of the sun. I had to wear a tshirt because it's still too hot for jerseys. Everyone stank of BO which is rather unpleasant (i'm sure I did too, it would't be fair to not return the favour).
I do agree that the quality of football is better in daytime games (generally) but for crowd comfort, i say bring on winter night games. I seem to be in the minority with regrds to this, as voted by the numbers yesterday but I think next Friday v Souffs will be much more comfortable.

What is it that people find so appealing about squinting, sunburn & bad smells? And why is it good to expose the kids to this rather than a cool, comfortable evening?

Valid points. The heat was terrible though the sun wasn't such an issue as I was wearing a hat and sunnies. I got a bit sunburnt (forgot about the exposed part of my chest from the collar on the jersey). However, these were not things I thought about when considering whether to go to the footy. The time was perfect, the weather was good and Manly are playing good footy. Saturday nights are good at this time of the season, 9:30 finishes are not ideal though for taking my almost 3 year old son. 2/3pm is an ideal time for families and even better mid season when it gets too cold at night.

DSM5 said:
It's a shame that the Souths game is on Friday night as I doubt many Souths zombies will travel. I'll be there with the usual entourage.

I will have to disagree with that. Souths fans are passionate, travel and are located everywhere. Im sure it will be a bumper crowd befitting the quality of the game.

Hope youre right MWSE, but I doubt we'll get more than 12K. There's not to many Zombies on the North side, and, although there's not to many Souths fans who work, they'll have some difficulty getting to Brookie on Friday night, given the paucity of public transport and the distance to travel.

Travelled for 5 hours to get there
Enjoyed the train-
Enjoyed the ferry-
Enjoyed the sun
Enjoyed the noise-
Enjoyed the beer-
Enjoyed the win-
Enjoyed the crowd and so did the players
The only time i will be pissed if I can't get in
G0 MANLY

You're kidding DSM5, a solid contingent of the toothless hordes and try hard imposters who have infiltrated the beaches will be there on Friday week. It's still school holidays so that should encourage them too. Being April they are still under the mistaken impression that they can win the comp. I'll be very surprised if there is a smaller crowd than 17.5k.

Bring it on.

By the way, Larissa has confirmed previously that the capacity is nowhere near 23k any more. 21k would really be stretching things.

Looked fantastic on TV, was thinking of coming down but something else came up.

There are obviously many reasons why fans don't travel, I would say most clubs have the same issues.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6