Todd Carney Combined Mega Thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Did Todd Carney deserve to be sacked over his latest faux pas

• Yes

Votes: 53 39.6%
  • No

Votes: 76 56.7%
  • Undecided

Votes: 5 3.7%

• Total voters
bones said:
Daniel said:
Moondog said:
Anybody know how they got from one pub to the other?

they moonwalked

I spent a night locked up in a police station for moonwalking once. The police were talking to my drunk mate so i stopped to listen and the cop told me to keep walking. So I started moon walking laps around them until they finished talking to my mate. When they said "you can go now" to my mate, we started to walk away and they said to me" not you" . They put me in the back of the car and locked me up until about 7am.
Classic! Some cops have no sense of humour.

MadMarcus said:
fLIP said:
Did he do anything wrong this time other than have a few drinks?

Until he pisses on someones shop front or gets booked for 160 in an 80 or throws coins at his GF or assaults a sponsor at a launch party again, ill consider it nothing more than social drinks.

I consider it an improvement that he was able to go out and have a few and not cause a headline.

Wow - David Gallop is posting here! Welcome to Silvertails Dave. I should warn you that you are not the most popular person on here.

ps. You forgot to add catching a cab home and being a diabetic to your list of punishable offences. Not sure why you just singled out Choc.

He should have just been on some old ladys Valium.

I come home and watch the news and all the league news is about Carney and how his career could be over. Next to no mention of Watts who belted a girl a few times. Fark me I hate the media.

Yesterday afternoon, as Noyce was finishing his lunchtime sandwich, Todd Carney walked in with his agent David Riolo and delivered four words that probably saved his football career.

"Yes, I was drinking," Carney said.

Refreshing honesty from the superstar five-eighth

Refreshing honesty is always the best policy.

Don't sack me, Todd Carney pleads

Phil Rothfield and Dean Ritchie From: The Daily Telegraph April 19, 2011
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/dont-sack-me-todd-carney-pleads/story-e6frexr9-1226041177011

TROUBLED NRL superstar Todd Carney has begged the Sydney Roosters not to sack him over his latest drinking episode. At an emotion-charged meeting with club CEO Steve Noyce yesterday, Carney pleaded: "I just wanna get my head right."

The Dally M champion is facing an indefinite suspension - possibly for the remainder of the season - rather than a contract termination following his weekend 4am bender in the Eastern Suburbs and Kings Cross.

At the same time, the Sydney Roosters are expected to tear up the contract of Anthony Watts, the player who was out on the town with Carney, and later allegedly assaulted his girlfriend.

Carney's manager David Riolo last night revealed how his star player was desperate to remain at the Roosters in the NRL. "He wants to keep playing and that's what he said at the meeting. I don't think sacking him now would achieve anything," Riolo said.

"If there was any anti-social behaviour on Saturday night, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

"The only person he's hurt this time is himself because he'd said he wasn't going to drink. One thing he didn't say to Steve [Noyce] is that he's sorry because I think everyone's sick of hearing that.

"He's obviously got some demons in his life. He's not handling it the way we'd all like him to. He's got to keep working through those issues and stay positive.

"He wants to get his head right and then worry about football after that."

Todd Carney did not train with the rest of the Roosters yesterday, who are preparing for their Anzac Day blockbuster against the Dragons.

After meeting with Carney, who confirmed he had been drinking on Saturday night, Noyce was last night finalising his report and recommendation which has to be bounced off club chairman Nick Politis, who is in Greece.

Asked would either player be sacked, Noyce said: "Let me get the report done before I make any comment on things like that."

How Todd Carney won stay of execution

Phil Rothfield From: The Daily Telegraph April 19, 2011
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/how-todd-carney-won-stay-of-execution/story-e6frexnr-1226041214558

TODD Carney knows Steve Noyce's office on the first floor at the Roosters' Moore Park headquarters better than most.

He has climbed the stairs more than once since he joined the Sydney Roosters, normally to discuss anything from his footy form, his family or this time his latest fight to beat alcoholism.

Yesterday afternoon, as Noyce was finishing his lunchtime sandwich, Todd Carney walked in with his agent David Riolo and delivered four words that probably saved his football career.

"Yes, I was drinking," Carney said.

Refreshing honesty from the superstar five-eighth who would often camouflage his drinking on a night out by getting tall glasses of orange juice and adding vodka on the quiet.

The fact he was upfront with the Roosters may have won him a stay of execution.

The meeting

Carney didn't turn up for training with the rest of the Roosters players yesterday.

Instead, he and Riolo fronted Noyce. On the way to the Roosters' offices, Riolo insisted Carney had to be honest and upfront.

"He's upset with himself and that's what he told Steve," Riolo said. "He knows he shouldn't have had a drink.

"He wants to keep playing and that's what he said. I don't think sacking him now would achieve anything."

Noyce told them he was not in a position to hand down any on-the-spot penalty or punishment. He had to finalise his investigation, bounce it off the NRL, and ensure club chairman Nick Politis, who is in Greece, was comfortable with the decision.

"Whether they stand him down, that's Steve Noyce's call," Riolo said. "But Todd's obviously got some issues to address.

"If there was any anti-social behaviour on Saturday night, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. The only person he's hurt this time is himself because he'd said he wasn't going to drink.

"One thing he didn't say to Steve is that he's sorry, because I think everyone's sick of hearing that.

"He's got some demons in his life. He's not handling it the way we'd all like him too and that's also what we spoke about.

"He's got to keep working through those issues and stay positive. He wants to get his head right and then worry about football."
The lies

The club announced that Carney had pulled out of Saturday night's game against the Broncos with the recurrence of a groin injury.

The truth is that coach Brian Smith granted him three days leave because Carney felt drained and hadn't been well. Carney said he was going to Goulburn to spend time with his mum. That didn't happen. On Saturday afternoon, Carney rang Smith and said he had changed his plans and would be going out for an early meal before heading home to watch the football.

Trouble is, Carney now lives on his own. He used to share a unit with Jake Friend, who now lives with his girlfriend. So when Watts rang and asked him to meet at the Coogee Palace, he went for it. And he stayed on it until 4am at The Trademark in Kings Cross.

General health

Carney has not been himself all season on or off the field.

After appearing in court the week before last, he was not keen to play against the Warriors in New Zealand.

Some even thought he was trying to get out of playing because of a passport problem.

"Speaking to him on the phone, you could tell he wasn't well," one of his friends said. "You could tell something was wrong but he insisted he was OK and didn't need any help."The night

Carney knows he can't be seen drinking in public because of his profile and all the recent publicity about him attending Alcoholics Anonymous.

So he tells punters who question him about drinking that he's on orange juice but doesn't mention the vodka he has with it.

Boxer Garth Wood saw Carney at The Trademark but played down any involvement in the footy star's bender.

"I was at the races all day with Singo [John Singleton] and we went to the Bellevue for a couple afterwards," Wood said. "On the way home I called into Trademark for a couple of quick drinks. I would have left about two to 2.30am.

"He was sitting in a corner with his mate and we just said 'g'day'. I don't hang with them."

He was drinking but there was no drama or anything."

The future

The Roosters are hoping to do a "Jake Friend" with Carney.

Late in 2009, the club tore up the young hooker's contract for repeated alcohol-related incidents.

Politis got involved in Friend's recovery, which became one of the best and most uplifting stories of the year. Friend got a nine-to-five job as a kitchen hand in a Surry Hills sandwich shop for six months.

He trained most mornings before work with former NRL hooker Joe Thomas and occasionally Laurie Daley.

He also had professional psychological treatment and was eased back into football via the Toyota Cup six months later.

The betting

As a result of the Carney/Watts turmoil and poor performances on the field, the Roosters' premiership betting quote has almost doubled in a fortnight. They have gone from $9 to win the premiership to yesterday's quote of $17.

Despite doubts over Carney playing this season, the TAB has not suspended markets.

"Their easing quote is more about current form than the other issues," spokesman Glenn Munsie said.
COMMENTS ON THIS STORY
Bulldogs88 of Strathfield Posted at 12:21 AM Today
i just dont understand why others players get sacked for alot less. why wasnt the other players given the benefit of the doubt and support from the NRL and their clubs, when Todd Carney does? double standards ? or just cause the Roosters cant fire their best player?. MAN UP NRL.
Comment 1 of 12

BigSteve of TheDruitt Posted at 1:26 AM Today
Wake up everybody, Carney is staying put at the Roosters, NRL clubs simply don't sack star players for stuff like this...
Comment 2 of 12

The Truth Posted at 2:22 AM Today
Carney's problem is he's bored, lonely and uses drink to get over that. A social life with non-drinkers and maybe a job or studying for the ever more faster approaching day when he cannot or is not allowed to play footy anymore would help.
Comment 3 of 12

Mike of Sydney Posted at 2:36 AM Today
Have the Roosters employed a full time backside wiper for him too????>
Comment 4 of 12

kickagoal of lidcombe Posted at 2:41 AM Today
i agree with noyce sacking carney is not the right thing guilt by association isnt right and drinking is legal for anyone over 18 the guy trains hard plays hard and is entitled to enjoy himself a fewww drinks a taxi home no harm done and he gets to be himself he is only young once he doesnt look like he has socerosis from that photo looking forward to watching him chop up the saints
Comment 5 of 12

Geof of Wollongong Posted at 4:08 AM Today
Giving him more chances only sends the wrong message to other players and lowers the bar down even further.
Comment 6 of 12

Tony Roberts Posted at 5:04 AM Today
Todd Carney is a brilliant player on the field, but is a "MUNGO" off the field, as he is a superstar and has way too much loose time on his hands. Put him to work like as if he is "working for the dole". Some responsible person with police powers should have him watched 24/7 and allow him no freedom other than to train and sleep, all other time out of his 24 hours should be as though he is shackled to a carer. That would send out signals like you wouldnt beleive.
Comment 7 of 12

TheSpin of Cronulla Posted at 5:15 AM Today
Todd needs help. The Roosters need to place a mentor system in place and a community program for Todd to do during the days he is not training. NRl players earn alot of money from clubs. Part of a full time players job should be community work. This may stop so many players getting into trouble. The Sharks and Bulldogs have this system in place after so many indiscretions in the past. Make it mandatory.
Comment 8 of 12

Al of Ctown Posted at 5:19 AM Today
You have to be kidding me! Does anyone believe this BS? Roosters have just become my most hated club now.. Deadset joke... 'he is only hurting himself' pfft please, yeah and the whole nrl support base that have been treated like morons over this.. Pathetic...
Comment 9 of 12

Gary of Sydney Posted at 5:50 AM Today
Maybe someone from the roosters could go round and tuck him in at night and read him bedtime stories so he doesnt get scared.
Comment 10 of 12

me Posted at 6:00 AM Today
you lot just don't get it do you....
Comment 11 of 12

David of Callala Bay Posted at 6:27 AM Today
Yes yes yes. He's upset with himself. He's let himself down. No one is sadder than he is. Blah blah blah. Just run the same story again in a couple of months and save all the bother of writing a new one 3 or 4 times a year.
Comment 12 of 12

Refreshing honesty is ringing up Noyce before he goes out and says "yes, I will be drinking".

The spin has begun.

I can just hear Politis now....."Todd Todd Todd, look what you've done.....you've made it necessary for me to give you another last chance."

Todd Carney's press conference is on at 9:30 pm on Fox Sports News - Channel 513. You can also watch it on the Fox Sports website.

Surely the Rorters should do a Jake Friend with Watts and tell him to get a job and come back when he's grown up. They'll coddle Carney, but sack Watts. He's the fall guy for the lot of them. Watts is an idiot, but it's the drinking culture within the Rorters that's the problem. And they are not facing up to it. The Ibriham connection and the Sydney Confidential party going culture infects the Rorters. Any young impressionable talent should steer clear.

Drinking cultures are fostered from the top.

Just like gambling cultures, wouldn't you say Mr Gallop?

My biggest worry about this is having to see Steve Noyce and his massive forhead on my television, it really is massive! I wish he hould just shave off his little bit of hair on the back of his head...sorry just had to vent.

Lucky there's not a drinking culture at Manly, eh??? Oh......wait...

Seriously though.....who here didn't smash the grog at their age. Good on em.

Sooty Fan said:
Carney and Watts suspended!

they can now go and celebrate at the Coogee bay hotel, pickup chicks, bash a couple of them piss on each other, light their farts, get totaly ****faced
did I miss anything

Sooty Fan said:
Carney and Watts suspended!

On full pay. That'll teach them. I know if my employer told me not to come to work but still paid me I would be shattered. Its enough to drive a man to the drink...

According to Gallop, Carney is a unique case.
So an indefinite suspension... we'll hear very soon that there's been a significant improvement and straight back on the field

I think the last one who was suspended indefinitely might have been Inglis? Lasted one or two weeks from memory until they put him back in.
Carney is an interesting case. He is the Joey Johns who cannot be swept under the carpet or protected by a towns code of silence. If he breaks the law he cops whatever the court gives him. If he simply makes a dickhead of himself, he'll stay until sponsors or his club decide his embarrassment value outweighs his on-field contribution. Based on current form, that time may be approaching.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
11 7 4 59 14
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11