Tom Wright

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I am not much more than an armchair expert but there seems to be something missing in his game.

He's 24 next week and still doesn't seem to have much consistency, grit or football nous. Which seems odd as he's playing for the national team but that's just my take.

Oh dear. Here we go again.

Looking at the specific and making it become the general to justify a position.

That is how Hadley and Jones operate.

The first question that should be asked in any assessment of this player's worth is 'How did he get to be in the Wallabies side?'. Have you watched all his games with the Brumbies for example? That's fundamental. If he is so bad how did he get there? Are the selectors blind or something?

OK, he may have had a bad game. I saw Fulton in his early years have a rep game and was easily outplayed by a fellow called Branson. Everyone suddenly had that guy as the next big thing. Everyone was battling to sign him. Over one game. 'Fulton wasnt up to it' they were saying. Two years later Branson had virtually disappeared. Fulton become a superstar. It happens.

One game, the Wallabies match referred to, and I didnt watch it mind you, does not make a career. Every player has good and bad games. I think back at the Newcastle game Manly played. Turbo was ordinary. Did nothing. Cherry Evans cops it every time QLD loses. 'Drop him' is the common response. Does that make him a bad player.

If you cherry pick, you'll always have a means to criticise. It applies to everything. If you dont look at the performances overall, you cant really know the quality of any player, or anything for that matter. Its like a memory of mine, when Jones and Hadley criticised Corrective Services when I was working there because two prisoners escaped from Silverwater Gaol. 'Security us up the sh.t' they were more or less saying. Great scramble followed. Big investigation. Who was to blame? Though I wasnt directly involved, I knew the prison very well, worked there for years, and the security involved was excellent. But there are clever people who find a way out.

Always happens. Look for a flaw and you'll find it every time. That's human. But suddenly it becomes endemic when in fact its a single event. The specific is always a poor means of understanding or judging the general. The specific tells you that nothing is perfect but it doesn't tell you the mean. The general tells you the ups and downs but more importantly the mean.

The first question that should be asked in any assessment of this player's worth is 'How did he get to be in the Wallabies side?'. Have you watched all his games with the Brumbies for example? That's fundamental. If he is so bad how did he get there? Are the selectors blind or something?

OK, he may have had a bad game. I saw Fulton in his early years have a rep game and was easily outplayed by a fellow called Branson. Everyone suddenly had that guy as the next big thing. Everyone was battling to sign him. Over one game. 'Fulton wasnt up to it' they were saying. Two years later Branson had virtually disappeared. Fulton become a superstar. It happens.

One game, the Wallabies match referred to, and I didnt watch it mind you, does not make a career. Every player has good and bad games. I think back at the Newcastle game Manly played. Turbo was ordinary. Did nothing. Cherry Evans cops it every time QLD loses. 'Drop him' is the common response. Does that make him a bad player.

If you cherry pick, you'll always have a means to criticise. It applies to everything. If you dont look at the performances overall, you cant really know the quality of any player, or anything for that matter. Its like a memory of mine, when Jones and Hadley criticised Corrective Services when I was working there because two prisoners escaped from Silverwater Gaol. 'Security us up the sh.t' they were more or less saying. Great scramble followed. Big investigation. Who was to blame? Though I wasnt directly involved, I knew the prison very well, worked there for years, and the security involved was excellent. But there are clever people who find a way out.

Always happens. Look for a flaw and you'll find it every time. That's human. But suddenly it becomes endemic when in fact its a single event. The specific is always a poor means of understanding or judging the general. The specific tells you that nothing is perfect but it doesn't tell you the mean. The general tells you the ups and downs but more importantly the mean.
I have seen a fair few of his brumbies games this year Bear and the first test last week,he has been poor and I think it is a reflection of the weak standard of rugby outside backs in Oz.
If you had seen the NZ sides vs Oz sides recently it was like amateurs v Pros or NRL v Group country sides.(particularly in the backline)
He is treading water until Vunuvalu is ready...he is an individual trying to play a team game...

I have seen a fair few of his brumbies games this year Bear and the first test last week,he has been poor and I think it is a reflection of the weak standard of rugby outside backs in Oz.
If you had seen the NZ sides vs Oz sides recently it was like amateurs v Pros or NRL v Group country sides.(particularly in the backline)
He is treading water until Vunuvalu is ready...he is an individual trying to play a team game...
Agree have watched quite a bit of Tom and whilst there are flashes of brilliance he is by no means a complete footballer in either code. Korobete on the other hand is an absolute gun.

You blame Barrett for Wright leaving, partly because he once hooked him during a match for being ineffective. But 3 years later that's exactly what happened in the Wallabies match last night!

Have you ever considered that if Des were coach during that year, he may not have given Tom a debut in 2018 at all? He definitely wouldn't have put up with some of the non-efforts in defense for very long.

Of course a 20-year old making poor decisions on field is all part of the learning process... but if his response is to ask for a release and do something else, instead of working on his craft, that's on him.

My concern for Tom Wright is that he'll be 24 soon (same age as Tom T) and he's still not a complete footballer. He has time but needs to get his head together.

1626223201363.png

He was at Manly during the Barrett years - enough said. After leaving, he went on to become Australian Super Rugby's leading try scorer, earning a Wallably call up in the process.
Perspective time feathered friend @Kevinward777 !!!

The talented Tom could not do no more than reach the highest level at his code and play for his country

Under Trent Barrett Tom was playing reserves and Parker was a turn style who could not catch a ball .
Under Trent Kyle flanagan potential went form playing finals footy with the roosters to reserve grade with the dogs

You blame Barrett for Wright leaving, partly because he once hooked him during a match for being ineffective. But 3 years later that's exactly what happened in the Wallabies match last night!

Have you ever considered that if Des were coach during that year, he may not have given Tom a debut in 2018 at all? He definitely wouldn't have put up with some of the non-efforts in defense for very long.

Of course a 20-year old making poor decisions on field is all part of the learning process... but if his response is to ask for a release and do something else, instead of working on his craft, that's on him.

My concern for Tom Wright is that he'll be 24 soon (same age as Tom T) and he's still not a complete footballer. He has time but needs to get his head together.
What a load of LOL

A question above about how he made the Wallabies side

If we are honest, Aussie rugby has 5 professional teams, theres probably only enough talent for 3. 10 wingers battle it out for 2-3 spots in a squad, they are decent odds.

Have there been any rugby league outside backs that have gone across and not played for the Wallabies ? Rogers, Walker, Tahu, Koroibete, Sailor, Tuqiri, Cross, Hunt, Folau off the top of my head all made it easily, did Adam MacDougall ? And there was that big unit from the titans that went across too and did well, can’t think of his name

Last edited:
Guys what I am trying to get across is the issue about judgement calls. It applies to many issues on these sites,, and I was trained for decades to be very careful in that regard.

We can express an opinion but it is just an opinion and should never be unequivocal. Judging others, without substantive evidence, is really about the judger, not about the person or thing being judged. Technically speaking regarding some comments you are open to litigation for disparaging remarks about someone, in extreme cases.

We all have points of view, but perspectives is not reality, it is merely our interpretation of reality based upon a whole bunch of elements that make us what we are. Even seeing something happen has a bias. I recall for example witnessing a car accident, but I saw it from my point of view. Others looking from a different position saw things differently. So all we can do is take note of those who have an expertise and many different perspectives, to reach as impartial a position as we can. All knowledge and perspective is provisional and probabilistic. There are no absolutes and therefore to make judgement calls merely shows your own point of view, nothing more, if it is not sufficiently substantiated

Sorry to ramble on. No doubt a hang over from training, but not completing my studies, to be a minister. Oh you'll just have to tolerate my faults. But you'll notice I'm on about these kinds of issues all the time. Having been a parole officer appearing at court and the Parole Board giving evidence thousands of times, one thing you learn is to ensure you don't make definitive statements. The words 'seems' , 'appears' 'is apparent' are essential otherwise you are easily castigated.

Hope you understand that's why I have concerns when judgement calls are made. You say something like 'from my point of view' there is no problem. You say someone is a 'a dimwit' or 'is uncommitted' etc without supporting evidence, its a personal judgement.

I can't believe we are still discussing TGWH. He wasn't that good at RL, couldn't crack a very poor Manly side and then he decided to move on. I think there are some others here that need to follow his lead and move on too. He ain't coming back to us, or the NRL in general, so all the hand wringing over the what if's are a waste of time - we'll never know if it was lack of ability, lack of application, lack of opportunity, or lack of good coaching. It will remain a mystery. Good luck to him in Rugby.

How many of the critics on this thread have represented their country in any sport. Yet you judge someone that has reached the highest level in Rugby Union in this country and on the back of a poor performance last night determine he is not a good player. Hmm.

Lmao. Hi Tom. Tough gig last night by the sounds of it.

Shut the forum down guys. Judging players is no longer acceptable.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8
8 4 4 -60 8