Tommy T Injured - usa bound

1. I hope Turbo is ok. Head injuries are no laughing matter - heaven forbid he gets another one in quick succession, and then he is dealing with a world of pain (see Paddy McCartin - for those who think concussion isn;t a 'thing')
2. I thought Tom was hampered and limited in his strike ability by the structure. When he threw the play book out the window in one or two sets, and drifted to the LHS attack, it caused panic.....
3. Given he will not play next week, in theory he may not get chosen for Origin 2. That would mean he would play for us against the Eels.... and net:net, he ends up playing the same number of games for the Eagles, and one less origin game..... so what are you all whinging about? Everyone has already looked a month into the future and decided that they know what will happen..... if an out of form tom has a head knock, and your team (Freddy) was flogged in game 1. Maybe its a convenient excuse for Freddy to omit Tom? No Turbos in game 2 perhaps?

Just a thought
I tend to agree. As regrettable as losing him for the next game is, it could be a blessing in disguise. Both for him and for Manly.

1. I hope Turbo is ok. Head injuries are no laughing matter - heaven forbid he gets another one in quick succession, and then he is dealing with a world of pain (see Paddy McCartin - for those who think concussion isn;t a 'thing')
2. I thought Tom was hampered and limited in his strike ability by the structure. When he threw the play book out the window in one or two sets, and drifted to the LHS attack, it caused panic.....
3. Given he will not play next week, in theory he may not get chosen for Origin 2. That would mean he would play for us against the Eels.... and net:net, he ends up playing the same number of games for the Eagles, and one less origin game..... so what are you all whinging about? Everyone has already looked a month into the future and decided that they know what will happen..... if an out of form tom has a head knock, and your team (Freddy) was flogged in game 1. Maybe its a convenient excuse for Freddy to omit Tom? No Turbos in game 2 perhaps?

Just a thought
Whilst there will be changes to the Blues for Origin 2, there is no doubt Turbo will be there. Freddy will likely be even more comfortable playing him, given that he will be well rested until the Suncorp game (recovering from concussion, not a musculoskeletal injury).

Jimmy Smith just mentioned on SEN that he has heard Manly are looking to ask for an exemption to the Concussion Stand down policy, based on the fact that Category 1 symptoms weren't observed:

Loss of consciousness, balance disturbance, impact seizures & no protective action when falling.

If you look at the footage I don't see any of that either.

Jimmy Smith just mentioned on SEN that he has heard Manly are looking to ask for an exemption to the Concussion Stand down policy, based on the fact that Category 1 symptoms weren't observed:

Loss of consciousness, balance disturbance, impact seizures & no protective action when falling.

If you look at the footage I don't see any of that either.
No doubt Freddy would be hoping the stand down policy applies so he can be fresh for game 2.

I couldn't believe it when they ruled him out of the game with Cat 1! A couple of weeks ago I saw Ponga get absolutely smashed and stay on the ground with his eyes shut not moving and he didn't get taken off by the independent doctor. It was absurd. Then the other night, Turbo gets a bump on the nose and gets straight up and they rule him out?!

I couldn't believe it when they ruled him out of the game with Cat 1! A couple of weeks ago I saw Ponga get absolutely smashed and stay on the ground with his eyes shut not moving and he didn't get taken off by the independent doctor. It was absurd. Then the other night, Turbo gets a bump on the nose and gets straight up and they rule him out?!
It was very strange, the NSW trainers pulled him off immediately, barely tested him, no independent doctor intervention. Almost immediately the commentators were talking about category 1. Then Freddy used Tommys Cat 1 to justify his selection and usage of Hynes in the presser. I have no idea what was going on but it stank like BS to me.

Yeah Turbo looked very surprised to be taken off so quickly.
sh

So if we were playing this weekend then Turbo would be the first nrl player stood down for 2 matches due to mandatory 11 day standown. How unusual that Manly would've been the first club royally fuked over by a new NRL rule.

Turbo will potentially only play 1 game for Manly between now and Rd 21 the 23rd July. That's 5 Manly games because of Origin. Can't see him backing up 3 days after SOO2 abd SOO3.Our season is cooked already.

Turbo will potentially only play 1 game for Manly between now and Rd 21 the 23rd July. That's 5 Manly games because of Origin. Can't see him backing up 3 days after SOO2 abd SOO3.Our season is cooked already.
yeah, what happened to stand alone SOO, did they scrap that

Imagine if the NRL decided to go the NBA route for finals and decide a 7 game series lol.
I reckon Manly would be so low on stocks they'd have to call up Alfred Smalley and Zac Fulton to back up.

IMG_3417.jpeg

Not sure what is said beyond the paywall. (And if i see 'bold' again in News Ltd headline i will pewk - click bait)

Article Image

Manly’s bold bid to overturn bunker’s Turbo concussion call​

A doctor 1,300km away from the incident deemed NSW and Sea Eagles star Tom Trbojevic to have suffered a category 1 concussion in Origin I – Manly say it was a bad call.

Seems that seeking a review is provided for in the NRL rules, so it is hardly a 'bold' suprise Manly are seeking to use it.

Another important factor is the ability for clubs to apply for exemptions to a player’s 11-day stand-down period in “exceptional circumstances”.

Last edited:
Here's the rest of the story (by David Riccio):

Manly are attempting to prove to the NRL that Tom Trbojevic is free to play next weekend, a potential huge win for the Sea Eagles and NSW.

Trbojevic was ruled out of State of Origin game one in Adelaide last Wednesday night in the 68th minute after Maroons forward Thomas Flegler collected the star centre in the head.

He is currently in danger of being rubbed out for 11 days, meaning he won’t play again for Manly before NSW coach Brad Fittler picks his all-important team for Origin II in Brisbane next Monday.

In the process of carrying the football last Wednesday night, Trbojevic was deemed to have suffered a Category 1 head knock by an independent doctor positioned in a Sydney-based bunker.

However, the Sea Eagles are claiming Trbojevic has been misdiagnosed and therefore he doesn’t need to be stood down for the 11 days which is standard protocol for a Category 1 concussion.

Manly have communicated to the NRL that they are of the belief respected NSW doctor Nathan Gibbs diagnosed Trbojevic as a Category 2 head knock last Wednesday night.

The Sea Eagles have communication to suggest that the Blues medical staff have confirmed Trbojevic had no signs of concussion when he underwent his HIA assessment on Wednesday night.

Additionally, Trbojevic was also clear of any concussion symptoms when assessed by former NRL chief medical officer and current Sea Eagles club doctor Dr Paul Bloomfield on Friday.

Under NRL concussion protocols, Category 1 signs include loss of consciousness, balance disturbance, impact seizures and no protective action when falling.

A Category 2 concussion would require Trbojevic to rest and pass a SCAT test – an evaluation of how the player is feeling.

The Blues centre stayed down momentarily after the clash before standing to find his feet and being assessed on the field by a NSW trainer.

The Sea Eagles are within their rights to question the decision to stand-down Trbojevic for 11 days, which the NRL has confirmed.

“The NRL has received correspondence from Manly Warringah Sea Eagles,” an NRL spokesperson said.

“The NRL is considering the matter.”

Manly – who have a bye this weekend – face The Dolphins at 4Pines Park next Friday, which is nine days after Origin II.

The Sea Eagles won‘t push Trbojevic to play.

They will be guided by medical opinion, but believe that on the evidence they have, their best player shouldn’t fall under an 11-day stand down period.

The availability of Trbojevic for the Sea Eagles would prove hugely influential as they hover just outside the top-eight in 11th position.

However, the benefit of Trbojevic playing would also aid the Blues selectors, who can select the strike-player in the comfort of him having played a match.

On top of the health of Trbojevic, the Blues are also sweating on the availability of fellow centre Latrell Mitchell, who is battling to overcome a calf injury.

So an NRL doctor who hasn't examined Turbo decides he's a cat 1 from a video replay only and that's it he's out for 11 days. What a fuking joke the NRL is. Surely he has to be diagnosed properly before being stood down. If 2 doctors have diagnosed that he's not cat 1 then surely he must be allowed to play. But here we go again with the NRL doing their incompetent best to fuk us over.

Here's the rest of the story (by David Riccio):

Manly are attempting to prove to the NRL that Tom Trbojevic is free to play next weekend, a potential huge win for the Sea Eagles and NSW.
Very informative, thank you @Ron E. Gibbs.

“The NRL is considering the matter.” I wonder how long that's going to take. It's Manly so probably a week, or after Friday...

Team P W L PD Pts
2 2 0 36 4
2 2 0 26 4
2 2 0 23 4
2 2 0 19 4
2 2 0 12 4
2 1 1 13 2
2 1 1 10 2
2 1 1 3 2
2 1 1 0 2
2 1 1 0 2
2 1 1 -14 2