Tony Williams is on Parramatta's wanted list for 2013

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
MK Eagle said:
lsz said:
Have to agree to disagree

You guys are talking about 1 or 2 players out of how many? What would that be...less than 1%of all players?

I would love it if it was different but I can not see it that way

On another point....the way i see how most player agents play it

1. Player is in demand from several clubs (cue supporter outrage and pressure on the club to retain said star)
2. Friend of player or source at potential club is "quoted" saying how close they are to striking up a deal. More pressure on current club
3. Deal is struck with either current team ( player quoted as never wanting to leave) or new team (player needs a new challenge, really never wanted to leave / is heart broken at the thought)

And repeat

Thanks to the 24 hour news cycle there is a content drain which is filled by the endless speculation etc

I find it hard to believe any fans put stock in the "i never want to leave" line
I think in T Rex there would be a fair bit of validity on the loyalty factor - Manly signed him as a reserve grade Parramatta winger & now he a 2nd rower who has a GF & represents Australia as a Seaeagle.
Also seems a legitimate good bloke not just out to take the fattest wallet - maybe take a little less for far more success.
IF he leaves Manly I hope he has the brains to keep away from Parramatta - that would kill his career instantly.

He wasn't really a reserve grade winger. He was only playing in the reggies because of how young he was and working his way up through the grades. They always had huge wraps on him and we definitely paid what was considered overs to get him at the time.

The figures in the paper today for Trex at around 400k a season, he'd be on atleast 300k for this year surely. So if the numbers are close to being right, one would think we'd be able to hold onto him.

Why would you go from the premiers to the wooden spooners??? Definate career killer IMO.

Mauler the answer is in the $

Not that I can begrudge him…

Trex, at best has 10-12 years to make enough money to set himself up for life (think about how many first grade players are out there and how many continue to draw an income)

That is providing he stays injury free / his form holds up

If it was 100k over the course of a 4 year deal that could be as much as 200k after tax. Yes on field success is important but for a professional athlete, the majority of whom have few skills apart from playing (having concentrated on the game since a young age) you can understand why they are driven by $

If someone came to you, in the last 10 years of your working life, and offered an additional 25% increase on your wage, you could understand the temptation

Isz,I understand your point .My point was, that if were already paying him 300k surely could find the extra 100k to get very close to the other offers. It's not like the we need to bump up his salary up significantly as in DCE case. If we get close to other offers I'm sure he's willing to sacrifice a little $$$$ for success.

I'm sure Trex is aware that the players he plays with and coaching staff have been a big reason for his success. If he goes back to a club like Parra he can forget about premierships and rep footy.

Ryan said:
As I said in the other thread, B Stewart, K Foran, DCE and M Ballin together - the rest can go where they like.

If The Eels want to fork out $800k per season for Hoppa, $400k per season for Lussick and $450k per season for T-Rex (let alone guys like Hayne, Tonga, Sandow & co.), then they are going to be pretty thin where it counts.

Ballin is great, but Glenn Stewart is more important IMO.

the mauler said:
Isz,I understand your point .My point was, that if were already paying him 300k surely could find the extra 100k to get very close to the other offers. It's not like the we need to bump up his salary up significantly as in DCE case. If we get close to other offers I'm sure he's willing to sacrifice a little $$$$ for success.

I'm sure Trex is aware that the players he plays with and coaching staff have been a big reason for his success. If he goes back to a club like Parra he can forget about premierships and rep footy.

Fair point but who knows what money they have!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6