Tooves gone from 2016

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
Hope this is the last of the Penn venting... The old factions must all be gone now apart from the football club which they cant do jack **** about...

Haven't read the whole thread, but the thing that stood out for me was how bad Joe Kelly looked trying to explain the cull. Hostages going through scripted messages, while a guy stands off screen with a gun, have looked more comfortable. I have heard the guy has been on stress leave and may therefore not be well, but if any guy in the organisation needs to be let go, its him. (if only for his own benefit).
No problem with change, but there needs to be some guarantee of improvement. From what I can see, we are letting go guys who have a proven record go, for someone who is just starting out and is going to be supported by a former coach as well as a conditioning coach from the Gold Coast. Last time I looked Dave Taylor didn't look too conditioned !
Would love to be proved wrong, but I think by Round 8-10 next year, Barrett might well be wondering what he had got himself into.
We should be going after a trainer from either the cowgirls, boncos, souths or roosters as these teams look ahead of the rest of the clubs by a mile in regards to fitness and stength and lack of injuries.

Another thread hijacked by the legend in his own lunchtime. Bad day for Manly, bad day for true blue believers.
We must keep punching and come out the other side. Good on ya Tooves

Yet another attempt at baiting, with a snide little school yard retort. Sad that this place has regressed to these little types of comments.

Come on Wombat, be better than that. What are you hoping to achieve with those comments? Self gratification? Do you think it's funny?

I won't enter into an argument with you. I hope you got what you wanted out of your vitriol.

Yet another attempt at baiting, with a snide little school yard retort. Sad that this place has regressed to these little types of comments.

Come on Wombat, be better than that. What are you hoping to achieve with those comments? Self gratification? Do you think it's funny?

I won't enter into an argument with you. I hope you got what you wanted out of your vitriol.
So what do you think of this atrocity?

I'm guessing poorly handled but needed to happen?

Thanks Toovey for all the awesome work you have done after Des left. I for one am happy for the change of coach but not happy how the Penns have dealt with it!

So what do you think of this atrocity?

I'm guessing poorly handled but needed to happen?

Toovey? I think he was treated appaullingly communication wise. I hope there's a lot more that went down than we know.

I hope they sat Toovey down, and offered him a job. I hope they offered him an excellent payout. I hope they let him see out the year if that's what he wanted. I hope the club has been speaking to him a long time. I hope the players (guys like Lyon / Stewart) were consulted.

No-one knows. Heck, end of the day, maybe he listenned to Arko, and asked for a release early? Probably not though.

I'm VERY unhappy about that playing list of players to be released. I'm VERY unhappy about info being leaked. I'm VERY unhappy about that board release.

BUT, even considering injury, I think we have under performed. Just opinion guys, so please don't rage or abuse. I don't think our game has progressed. The Roosters coach the other day spoke about playing 2014 footy in 2015, and that is why they lost.

Specifically, defensive structure out wide. Specific team selection. Set plays. Line speed.

So do I think some change from a team perspective was needed? Sure I do. Would I have chosen Barrett? No. If I'm truly honest, I was hoping Dessie and Crusher would return, which I know is an unpopular opinion.

BUT, whoever it was has made the decision about the coach and some players. I personally think it was Arthurson and Fulton (who I used to despise because they were and are so damned good at what they do).

There is nothing I can do about it.

So I decided to back whoever they put in. I trust Fulton and Arko entirely. I trust their coaching AND playing roster choices.

All I want though when giving that support, is that as a club, we look to all be pulling in the same direction. Like a well oiled machine. No media releases from one faction or another.

We have so, so much potential. Four Trbojevic brothers, Gutherson, a heap of players choosing to be here. Players that don't want to be here heading off. Class across the park.

Add to that some fresh ideas, some structure, some new plays etc, the skies the limit in my opinion.

So I guess I support the change. I also know it's an emotional topic, and people are very passionate about Toovey. Doesn't mean as a fanbase, we have to canibalise each other like both Wombats tried to do to me today.

Surely having an opinion, isnt big noting myself? I hope that people see that as positive, and not me being negative. I love this club, and only want its succes. I hate sharing opinions here nowadays, because you only get abused for it.

Toovey? I think he was treated appaullingly communication wise. I hope there's a lot more that went down than we know.

I hope they sat Toovey down, and offered him a job. I hope they offered him an excellent payout. I hope they let him see out the year if that's what he wanted. I hope the club has been speaking to him a long time. I hope the players (guys like Lyon / Stewart) were consulted.

No-one knows. Heck, end of the day, maybe he listenned to Arko, and asked for a release early? Probably not though.

I'm VERY unhappy about that playing list of players to be released. I'm VERY unhappy about info being leaked. I'm VERY unhappy about that board release.

BUT, even considering injury, I think we have under performed. Just opinion guys, so please don't rage or abuse. I don't think our game has progressed. The Roosters coach the other day spoke about playing 2014 footy in 2015, and that is why they lost.

Specifically, defensive structure out wide. Specific team selection. Set plays. Line speed.

So do I think some change from a team perspective was needed? Sure I do. Would I have chosen Barrett? No. If I'm truly honest, I was hoping Dessie and Crusher would return, which I know is an unpopular opinion.

BUT, whoever it was has made the decision about the coach and some players. I personally think it was Arthurson and Fulton (who I used to despise because they were and are so damned good at what they do).

So I decided to back whoever they put in. I trust Fulton and Arko entirely. I trust their coaching AND playing roster choices.

All I want though when giving that support, is that as a club, we look to all be pulling in the same direction. Like a well oiled machine. No media releases from one faction or another.

We have so, so much potential. Four Trbojevic brothers, Gutherson, a heap of players choosing to be here. Players that don't want to be here heading off. Class across the park.

Add to that some fresh ideas, some structure, some new plays etc, the skies the limit in my opinion.

So I guess I support the change. I also know it's an emotional topic, and people are very passionate about Toovey. Doesn't mean as a fanbase, we have to canibalise each other like both Wombats tried to do to me today.

Surely having an opinion, isnt big noting myself? I hope that people see that as positive, and not me being negative. I love this club, and only want its succes. I hate sharing opinions here nowadays, because you only get abused for it.
What a shame that someone with your obvious passion and intelligence, has to resort to defiling members of your own fan base that have a differing opinion than you.
Being emotive does not make you superior Ryan. You were not canablised, nor was anybody raging at you. You just don't get it. This forum is made up of many, many different kinds of people, from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures.
The one thing they want is to be treated as equals, supporting the team they love.
Good luck with your support of our great club, we need every supporter we can get. Just please try and take some tone and emotion out of you interpretation of fellow supporters comments who may not have the splendid vocabulary that you have.

What a shame that someone with your obvious passion and intelligence, has to resort to defiling members of your own fan base that have a differing opinion than you.
Being emotive does not make you superior Ryan. You were not canablised, nor was anybody raging at you. You just don't get it. This forum is made up of many, many different kinds of people, from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures.
The one thing they want is to be treated as equals, supporting the team they love.
Good luck with your support of our great club, we need every supporter we can get. Just please try and take some tone and emotion out of you interpretation of fellow supporters comments who may not have the splendid vocabulary that you have.

Yeah - sorry, I must have misinterpreted your comment about me being a legend in my own lunchtime, and the connotation that I hijacked this thread. Must have been a figment of my imagination, and I certainly had no right to reply heaven forbid. That's not me replying to a differing opinion, that's me standing up for myself.

I must have mistakingly read where your pal Wombat called me a wanker, and all his other pearls of wisdom about lack of professionalism in the workplace. That obviously was just his analytical way of debating the topic of Toovey's sacking.

I'm happy to be told I'm wrong Wombat. You see how Duff and I could have a mature conversation?

Call people names, defame their job and make things personal, it's past differing opinions, amd its moved to something else.

Surely I have a right to stand up for myself. I wasn't the only one that said his attacks were childish and personal.

Maybe you read it all differently? Am I on a different tangent here?

Oh, and you made 0 comment about my stance on Toovey, and made it all about me. This is exactly what I mean. Quality.

Last edited:
Change is inevitable. We weren't going to win a premiership with Tooves, and results were just an excuse. When you are making massive changes you may as well make them. Right or wrong life goes on and its still going to be Manly out there.

I'll be supporting Barrett, no worries at all about doing so. The simple fact is, the Penns own the place so it's their right to act how they see fit. The cash will be coming out of their pockets.

• 🤝
Reactions: Rex

Hope you know i wasn't having a go at you

I was just guessing that's all

I'm not sure Des is any good really, he picks T Rex...all the time

I think that Toovey being shafted has as much to do with off field stuff as on field team performance....that is just the convenient excuse. I really hope that Tooves has some role going forward and his passion for this club hasn't been diminished by the goings on over the last 18 months.

There is a lot of faith being placed in Bozo and his vision. I really hope that works out for us. The man is a legend, no doubting that, how well his finger is on the NRL pulse these days I don't know. He has never failed to deliver in the past, so long may he reign.

As far as the Football Club statement is concerned, then as a long time member of that entity I am happy with their actions in that regard. It sums up how I feel about the Toovey situation, as I suspect it does for the majority of the members, therefore it stands to reason that the board is beholden to reflect the views of its constituents. Good on them for putting their position on record I say. Let's face it, the Football Club have no pull at MWSE board level anymore so no point playing politics, may as well "keep the bastards honest" and make them accountable for their actions.

Having said all that though, I am fully aware that the Penns should be given an opportunity to deliver their vision. This year has seen a lot of blood spilled as a consequence of them taking control, at times it has been clumsy and unprofessional, but I am hoping that the ends justify the means. They haven't exactly brained it in Management 101 to date, but if they truly have a passion for Manly and our future then I'll take it. I hope 2016 is an improvement on this year and I'll support Barrett and whichever 17 players run out in Maroon and White.

Even though this day was definitely coming it was a sad one for the club.

I read in the papers Toovs getting blamed for not resigning Gifty. The spin on the past continues on.

Toovey took over when we were in need and made a good effort with a great roster.

Time will heal. In anycase if Trent doesn't work out .....

• 👍
We were talking about banking yesterday and my experience with it - when the top end of town makes a call, there is nothing you can do about it, so you can sook and whinge and kick up a stink but guess what? It's gonna happen anyway. All you can do is deal with it, stay positive and get on with your life. For me it meant a few months off with my kid which was invaluable, a new job that paid less but pushed me technically harder than ever before and finally getting rehired by my old boss at a new place because she knew I can handle change and I'll just get on with it. Best thing that ever happened to me. You stay somewhere too long and your skills and edge soften.

Some may understand it, some may not but it's the truth.

• 👍
My son is a political pawn: Geoff Toovey's dad slams Manly Sea Eagles
The father of Geoff Toovey believes politics rather than performance has ended the sacked coach's lifelong association with Manly and fears his devotion to the club could result in him being lost to rugby league.
The Sea Eagles confirmed Toovey will be axed at the of the season despite having a year to run on his contract, with Penrith assistant Trent Barrett to take over on a three-year deal.

The official announcement ends months of speculation over Toovey's future. Ironically, Manly enjoyed one of their best performances of the season, an upset away win against the Warriors, at the weekend to keep their hopes of an 11th-straight finals appearance alive.

Toovey compiled an impressive 58 per cent coaching record after taking over from Des Hasler in difficult circumstances, but is believed to have been made the scapegoat over the decision to release Glenn Stewart in the off-season.

Toovey's father, Kevin, blasted Manly powerbrokers for their treatment of a loyal servant.

"I think they have a big problem there in management," Kevin Toovey told Fairfax Media. "Naturally I'd stick up for my son, but I don't think it's been very well handled at all.

"He's had three very good years, this year has been a bit lean but it's not the end of the earth. I think his coaching record is high, so I don't know what they're going on about.

"Obviously there is a faction in the club that don't want him there and he can't do much about it.

"They are shooting themselves in the foot. This has basically happened since late last year when control of the club went to one faction. Everyone knows that. It's all about someone taking over and becoming the new godfather, they've put themselves there as Jesus Christ.

"No one can bag his record as a player or a coach."

Rumours of Toovey's demise began the moment the Penn faction bought out previous co-owners Quantum to take control of Manly. Manly CEO Joe Kelly, addressing members of the Manly-Warringah Travelling Supporters Group in Albury in April, guaranteed Toovey would see out the remainder of his contract.

"I've been consistent from the day I started at the club, and I got asked the question before I started at the club about Geoff's tenure as head coach – Geoff's got a two-year contract. I absolutely expect to honour that two-year contract," Kelly said at the time.

"I have no intentions of doing anything otherwise than seeing Geoff honour that two-year contract … You'll always find that I've always said I [was] fully supportive of Geoff. And I am.

"We've thrown another half a million dollars at the football department this year. Would I do that if I wasn't supporting Geoff? I want to see him succeed, I want to see our club succeed, our team succeed … we're giving Geoff every support possible."

Since then, the club attempted, unsuccessfully, to poach Brad Arthur from Parramatta, before opting for Barrett. Fairfax Media reported in June that Barrett would be the new Sea Eagles coach in 2016.

"It's not because of his ability, I'm bloody sure of that," Kevin Toovey said.

"It's not because Manly are losing, there are some factions within the club that are working against him. They have made him look a bit shabby and that's unfortunate, because he's not that sort of bloke.

"He's also a distinguished type of person, his morals are very high. I know he spits the dummy and carries on a bit on TV but he's very emotional. He's a good character, he's worked hard all of his life and I'm very proud of him.

"I don't know if he would want to coach against Manly. He's very proud of the club and he's been with it since he was 14.

"It will be a shame if he's lost to rugby league. We are losing too many good blokes and there aren't enough good men in rugby league."

The Manly-Warringah Rugby League Football Club Board, who have two of the seven seats on the Sea Eagles board and have a 13 per cent stake in the club, have condemned the decision and claim it highlights the off-field schism that has plagued the NRL team over recent seasons. Manly legends Cliff Lyons and Mal Cochrane were among the signatories of a strongly worded statement.

"It's a sad day when an icon of our great club - which next year celebrates its 70th year in the competition - is told he is unwanted as the coach despite being under contract until the end of 2016," the MWRLFC said in a statement.

"It is bewildering to anyone who follows the game that a coach who during his tenure has taken his team to every final, including a grand final, and currently sits just two wins outside the top eight should be treated in this manner.

"His position as coach was undermined even before the season began and continued relentlessly throughout the entire 2015 season. He has not been treated with the respect he has earned and deserves."

Toovey is the second coach sacked in as many days after Newcastle axed Rick Stone.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...sea-eagles-20150728-gim36c.html#ixzz3hEBh4fxK

I hope that toovey goes onto the field at the roosters game so that the supporters can give him a standing ovation for his dedication to the club as coach

Then afterwards there will be a public stoning of Foran and Peters
That image will stay with me all day. I'm in a happy place right now.

After that presser, and seeing Zorba and co. guys, have to say, I'm starting to understand where you guys were coming from...

If this was about Glenn Stewart resigning, then FMD, i dont know WHAT to think?

Maybe I was wrong?

Starting to really dislike Zorba here.

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 4 5 19 10